No announcement yet.

Always let somebody know where you are!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always let somebody know where you are!

Format: Just to remind some of you guys to ALWAYS let other people know where you are going and when you are expected to return!

This weekend Michelle and I are going to go to Sequoia National Park.

WHERE: We plan on doing the NINE LAKE BASIN trail.

We will be PARKING at the end of CRESCENT MEADOW ROAD and hiking EAST FOR 20 MILES

You can call the Backcountry permit station at (559) 556-3341.

WHEN: We will be out of reach from WEDNESDAY NIGHT TO MONDAY MORNING at the most. IF YOU HAVE NOT HEARD FROM US BY MONDAY NIGHT (Sep 27) THEN CALL US. IF WE DO NOT ANSWER THEN YOU CAN GET WORRIED.

Keep in mind I have a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) so if anything does happen then it will be very easy for us to signal for help via satellite. The search and rescue crew will call YOU because YOU are on my emergency contacts. They will want to know our SKILL LEVEL and our EXPERIENCE LEVEL as well as the GEAR we are carrying and WHERE we are going. They will also want to know WHEN we left and WHEN we were suppose to come back.

SKILL LEVEL/EXPERIENCE LEVEL: Expert

GEAR:

2 RED Flares
    Backpacks
    ISO Matts
    First AID
    PLB
    Survival Kits
    Cold Weather Sleeping Bag
    Rain Gear
    Cold Weather Clothing
    Water Filter
    Back Country Stove
    Bear Box/Back Country Food

Contact Info;

Vince Gilbert
    c- 11111111
    h- 11111111

Kathleen Nordland
    c-1111111
    h-11111111

Any Questions???

Love you!

Rich and Michelle
    Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
    USMC Retired
    Scout/Sniper

You best post up before you return...somebody will make an alarm! Thanks fer lettin us know, kimo-save!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I am speaking for myself, but this also fits for Susan......

When I hit the trail, Susan knows where my vehicle will be, where my general route will take me, and the date when I will be back.

Even though I carry a Personal Rescue thingy, the rule is: If I'm not back by 4:00pm on that date, haven't called her, or left a message on the phone as to when I will be home, Susan is to call Search and Rescue.

Three winters ago, Susan went out for a 3 day winter backpack. Because of the increased danger of winter backpacking, we leave information as to the approximate coordinates of where we plan on spending each night.

At 4:30pm, of the day she was to return, she hadn't called, and wasn't home: The weather was awful in the area where she was.

I called Search and Rescue.

Because I had all the information as to the route she was on, where she was spending the night/s, and there was a map in her car as to where she was going, S&R was able to localize the search, and found her relatively quickly. The Sargent in charge of the Sheriff's S&R team complimented us, and thanked us for being so prepared for a rescue.
      Chuck
      So. Oregon
      TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
      TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
      SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

You've just made me realise that I dont do this! Great idea though, I'd be going spare if any of my family were missing and i didnt know where they were - only fair that I bother to let them know i guess!

Rosie

Comment

My hunting buddy carries a SPOT when he's in the woods, and we all have Satellite Maps with routes marked along with points of interest, tree stands, etc so our buds know where we are likely to be. We all carry cell phones, and service out here is much improved from a few years back.
          If a buddy has been in the woods and not called in by a certain time, we call the local Sheriff Deputy who patrols these woods (by ATV), and knows them inside & out. We can put him onto the closest entry point and give him the map of the area. :cool:
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I made it back! haha I carry a PLB which is different/better (for SAR anyways). The SPOT is nice to show your family where you are but it cost money every month also. Pics soon to come!
            Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
            USMC Retired
            Scout/Sniper

Comment

I hate to wreck a good party...but if I'm ever lost, I do not want some boy scout finding me! If we're lost it because we wanna be! That's how I camp anyways! Always have, always will!:p
              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
              X