Rafting???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rafting???

I am thinking about getting a raft doing a multi-week trip down a river with some friends. Anybody here ever done anything like it? Suggestions... tips... ect...
    Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
    USMC Retired
    Scout/Sniper

Originally posted by richardvg03 View Post
    I am thinking about getting a raft doing a multi-week trip down a river with some friends. Anybody here ever done anything like it? Suggestions... tips... ect...
    Richard - I have some white water experience. If that is what you are interested in, maybe I can help.
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

I think i am going to take the OARs river guide school course and buy a raft now... It should be a good investment... What do you think?!
      Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
      USMC Retired
      Scout/Sniper

Comment

Originally posted by richardvg03 View Post
        I think i am going to take the OARs river guide school course and buy a raft now... It should be a good investment... What do you think?!
        Go For it!

If your going to take an OARS course, you will be well prepared and ready for white water. They (OARS) will help you figure out which kind of raft to get - based on the rivers where you live.

If you ever decide to do the Rogue (Wild and Scenic) and you need a place to crash, you're welcome here at our place.
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Awesome! Thanks! I'll let everybody know how it goes... it's in June and I have to make sure it doesn't fall on my g/f's graduation first haha!
          Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
          USMC Retired
          Scout/Sniper

Comment

Many years ago I was on my 4-5th run down the Stanislaus with a friend who had a raft. I asked him if he ever fished the eddies and currents of the 9 mile run, as I had never seen anyone fishing them. Come to find out, "fishing" just isn't on the mind of white water rafters. So, he, a friend of ours and I took a 4 day run down that 9 mile stretch, fishing at all the eddies and currents we figured there were fish at. None of Dave's friends had ever seen him going so slow and almost all asked him if he needed help.

We ate fish every night - to put it mildly. I figured we would not have a problem catching fish, because, as I mentioned, I hadn't seen anyone fishing these areas. I have also witnessed the same lack of fishing going on when I went down the Toulumne white water section and up here on the Rogue white water section. So, you might keep that in mind on one of your trips down a white water section of a river - or you might not. Just wanted to plant a seed!:o
            Chuck
            So. Oregon

Comment

Oh we already planned on doing a lot of fishing! I LOVE fly fishing! I never thought about the white water area per say though! Good idea!
              Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
              USMC Retired
              Scout/Sniper

Comment

Last year, for her first experience alone, Susan went down the Rogue Wild and Scenic section solo in a Paddle Cat (a single person pontoon raft). She even had the "you know whats" to paddle through the two Class 4 rapids on that section, but like everyone else, took the "ladder" around the one Class 5.
                Chuck
                So. Oregon

Comment

Working...
                X