Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Top Ten Companies

LL Bean
    Lifetime return policy, no receipt needed.

Founded in 1912 in Maine. Sell outdoor clothing, tents, boots, sleeping bags and other gear. Everything I own from them is high quality, including my favorite: convertible hiking pants.

REI

Founded in 1938 in Washington. Sell camping, biking, hiking and outdoor products. REI is my favorite store. I can spend hours looking at all the gear and their salespersons are very knowledgeable. They offer free shipping to any store near you.

Backcountry.com

Founded in 1996 in Utah. “Backcountry.com is dedicated to being the best online retailer of the best outdoor and backcountry gear on the planet.” I ordered seven backpacks from them before I found the right one. The rest were returned, no questions asked. Bonus: if you order from out of state, you don’t pay tax, and orders over $50 ship free.

North Face

Founded in 1966 in San Francisco. North Face has a collection of the clothing called Summit Series. It is expensive but unlike anything else I’ve seen. Bought the winter jacket and snow pants last year. The jacket is 700 fill down – extremely warm – but much thinner and lighter than a normal parka. Warmth to weight ratio is outstanding.

The GORE-TEX snow pants were one of the few I found that didn’t have the wide pant cuff (for skiing). Waterproof and warm with zip vents, they are a true mountain pant – perfect for exploring.

I've posted about my tent before, the Mountain Manor 4, and I'm still just as happy with it. Full coverage fly, excellent during storms and heavy winds, full mesh roof for stargazing in nice weather.

Black Diamond

Founded in 1989 in Ventura, CA. I discovered this company on Backcountry.com. They primarily make gear for climbing, but I discovered something else: their backpacks are outstanding for hiking. They make technical packs which are lighter than normal packs, and have fewer straps.

What sets them apart from everything else I’ve owned are their suspension systems. They are dynamic – designed to move with your body (instead of a static pack that remains motionless). The Axiom 30 is the most comfortable pack I have owned, and it held up very well at the Grand Canyon and Zion.

Coleman

Founded in 1902 in Oklahoma. Some Coleman gear I own is mediocre (their newly designed cooler…), but they continue to make excellent stoves and lanterns; replacement parts are available everywhere.

Wal-Mart

Founded 1962 in Arkansas. Great place to buy affordable camping gear for the family. They carry almost the entire line of Coleman gear, including tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, stoves and lanterns.

Gerber

Founded in 1939 in Portland, OR. High quality outdoor knives and my favorite blade. Also make camp axes, saws and shovels.

Army surplus

A lot of the army gear is a little too heavy for me (I travel light), but it is excellent quality nonetheless. For sitting around base camp, or hiking with a little more weight, I can’t think of anything more durable.

Delorme Recreational Atlas

Founded in 1976 in Maine. The best atlas for camping, hiking and off-roading. I have gotten more use from this atlas than all my hiking and camping books combined.
    Last edited by pacific3000; 10-10-2010, 10:24 PM.

Thanks for posting.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Another good supplier, especially for those of us on a budget and not looking to pay big bucks for designer yuppie junk off Fleabay, is "The Sportsman's Guide" - they deal in closeout gear, and good deals can be found. Like any liquidator, some stuffis below par, but I have been generally satisfied with them.
      Thesportsmansguide.com has an online catalog with several departments, camping and outdoors being one of my favorites. You can also receive the individual 'special interest' catalogs for specific areas of interest, in addition to the big catalog.
      Becoming a member is well worth it - the cost can be offset by the savings on your first big order!
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

The Sportsman's Guide looks okay (not great)... I saw a bivy there for about $70... but found it $20 cheaper on Amazon.

A lot of their gear looks like cheap brands I've never heard of, but if that's your style, go for it.

P.S. How old are you pardner? The term yuppie hasn't been used in three decades.
        Last edited by pacific3000; 10-15-2010, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pacific3000 View Post
          Gerber

Founded in 1939 in Portland, OR. High quality outdoor knives and my favorite blade. Also make camp axes, saws and shovels.
          These days I think the best that could be said of Gerber is mediocre quality Chinese made knives. There's just nothing particularly quality about the workmanship and quite frankly the steel they use is cheap. While any better quality knife company will tell you what steel they use for any knife they make Gerber never discloses what they use. However most people agree that it's 420HC or possibly 440A, both cheap steels that don't take or hold an edge particularly well.

Comment

Do you own a Gerber? Mine is in great shape after nearly 5 years... I sharpen it once a year and it holds its edge like it's brand new.
            Last edited by pacific3000; 10-14-2010, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X