Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odor-Proofing Alternative to Expensive Bear Containers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odor-Proofing Alternative to Expensive Bear Containers?

Hello, I'm just an inexperienced camper hoping to learn something from the veterans.

My question has to do with odor-proofing my food supplies. I'm going camping for the first time in a while and I'm already pressed for money so if possible I'd like to avoid having to buy expensive 'bear containers'. I figure those containers weren't around forever so what did the old-timers do? There must some seasoned campers out there with tried and true methods. What should I do? Oh, and also my trip is actually going to be a bike tour so the more compact the solution the better. Thanks!

-Ian

I have studied this question for an few years now...and I haven't found anything that will prevent food odors except good cleanliness (Loc'n'locs-air tight containers)practices at campsites. We camp regularly in bear country and we carry a good supply of bear spray(pepper spray) with us. We have never had an encounter.

This summer we camped at Lassen Volcanic National Park, Juniper Lake Campground. Bear boxes were provided and we used them everyday and night. We spotted a black bear when we were out on the water and it was within 3 miles of the campground. I alerted the rangers and they knew immediately where I was talking about. They advised use of the bear boxes and we had no problem. Camping in Yosemite a few years ago we heard stories for the distant past but never saw a bear in the campground and the same was true in Yellowstone in 2005 and 2002, the last time we were there. When ever we go hiking in bear country we also carry pepper spray, but like I said...we have never had an encounter.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Got it, traditional bear safety is about proper habits and not equipment. I did however opt to buy some OPSacks and I'm curious to see how well they work. I'm gonna test them out and see if I attract any little critters on my next trip before heading out to bear country. In any case I plan to take care of all food stuffs away from camp and make sure I clean-up everything properly.

Comment

The traditional methods of hanging food, trash and other 'smelly stuff' in sacks from a high tree limb is stilla good idea,though some experienced bruins have learned to get to them.

"Hey, look Booboo... a pickinick basket!" :D
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Noted. By the way, that is one nice bike.

Comment

"Kicking it, Old School"....... :D

Just a pic I found that appeals to my sense of 'minimalism'......
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
            X