Building my own tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building my own tent

I reeeeeealy want to build my own canvas tent. I cant find any good detailed instructions or anybody who has documented their experience. Can anyone help direct me? Thank you

Build your own tent

Have you done a search on the internet? There is a pattern for a Baker Lean to out some where that was done by Nessmuk. What kind of tent are you thinking about? You can probably By one already made cheaper with the price of waterproof canvas and the style of sewing machine you would need to make it sturdy. But its a fun idea Ive had it myself good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
      Have you done a search on the internet? There is a pattern for a Baker Lean to out some where that was done by Nessmuk. What kind of tent are you thinking about? You can probably By one already made cheaper with the price of waterproof canvas and the style of sewing machine you would need to make it sturdy. But its a fun idea Ive had it myself good luck.
      Sounds fun, but I'd sure do it with polyester in a body/fly design as you'll need a commercial sewing machine (you don't want to know how expensive they are!) to sew duck, and different grommeting and closures which will raise the cost very quickly.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Hi JoeCamper,

I'm jealous! I'm a "sewer" and always put off some of my bigger projects because the fabric/materials are so expensive. Here is a site you might want to check out: http://www.owfinc.com/ They are real helpful and will send you samples of anything you may be looking for. I've ordered fleece from them and have also used them as a "jumping off" point when I wasn't sure of the "type" of fabric I was looking for. They also have patterns, but can't remember if they have a tent pattern or not.

Comment

Originally posted by trishaz717 View Post
          Hi JoeCamper,

I'm jealous! I'm a "sewer" and always put off some of my bigger projects because the fabric/materials are so expensive. Here is a site you might want to check out: http://www.owfinc.com/ They are real helpful and will send you samples of anything you may be looking for. I've ordered fleece from them and have also used them as a "jumping off" point when I wasn't sure of the "type" of fabric I was looking for. They also have patterns, but can't remember if they have a tent pattern or not.
          That is an awsome site! Thanks for the info. We want to build a Bell tent, but are having issues with the geometry. I would love to buy some Bell tent plans but cant seem to find any for sale online. The site you referenced has a canopy tent plan that might help out
          Thanks
          Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by trishaz717 View Post
            Hi JoeCamper,

Thats a cool looking site and Caldwell's not that far from me. I'll have to bookmark that for future reference, thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X