Clothing/Footwear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothing/Footwear

My son and I are going camping this weekend. NE Ohio. It's supposed to be in the 50's, 40's at night. We're staying in heated cabins so staying warm at night isn't a concern. Rain is not in the forecast, but it has been raining so the ground will probably be dump/wet/muddy still.

My main question is what to put on our feet. My son has winter boots so I think he's fine. That'll keep his feet warm and dry. I don't have anything except athletic shoes and dress shoes, so I have to buy something. For those weather conditions, what should I buy? Winter boots? Might be too warm, but should be dry. Hiking boots? Will they keep my feet dry? Hunting boots?

We expect to be outdoors most of the day unless it rains. What about clothes? A t-shirt, with a sweatshirt, and a jacket/coat?

Karl

Most any less-than-topline boots WILL leak. Spraying with a good silicone 'rain-seal' helps.
    Go to your local outdoor shop and look for some 'dry socks', 'Sealskin' socks, etc. They will keep your feet dry even with leaky boots.
    Don't forget some light slip-on shoes for in-camp use, like going to the shower house. Much less trouble than dealing with heavy boots. Save those for the trails.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I wear trail running shoes when I backpack, even when I know it is going to rain, and wear/carry warm socks to keep my feet WARM.

Susan and I just spent 5 days backpacking and camping in a very "healthy" storm that hit the northwest coast. Yes, we got wet. But, there I was, wearing my trail running shoes, and Susan had her pair of Nike shoes on.

And, yes, take something more comfortable and airy to wear in camp and to the shower.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip.
      Chuck
      So. Oregon
      TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
      TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
      SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Gore Tex

You should be able to find a (relatively) light weight pair of hiking shoes/boots with a Gore Tex liner, which will keep your feet dry if the issue is wet gr**** puddles, mud, etc. If it rains, and you don't have gaiters, they might still get wet from water coming in along the ankles, but if all the water is from the ankle down, Gore Tex is the way to go. They will cost a little more, but in my opinion, when it comes to keeping your dawgs happy, this is no place to skimp!

As for the clothes, plan to layer. If you don't have one, purchase a either a t-shirt or long sleeve shirt made of material designed to wick away sweat. I prefer Columbia or TNF or other outdoor name brands, but if you are on a tight budget, Target carries a line of clothing called C9 by Champion that is dirt cheap, and works pretty well. This will help keep you drier, which helps keep you warmer. Stay away from cotton, which retains sweat, as your initial layer. After that, bring another looser fitting long sleeve shirt/sweatshirt, and then a jacket. This lets you add or subtract layers throughout the day to deal with changing conditions (which they can do rapidly in NE Ohio!). Take a jacket that acts as a wind breaker. Wind can play a significant role in making for a cold, miserable day.

Comment

I ended up getting a pair of $50 hiking boots. Not top-of-the-line, but not cheapo's either. It says they are water-proof, but I know to take that with a grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
          X