Camp Site pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Site pricing

Hello I am new to this forum and i wanted to gain some information first hand from the people that camp about a potential campsite. I was wondering what prices a campsite for tenting would run a night? Also how often do rent a site to camp on? and the timeinwhich you stay in one spot? if you could give me some quick answers that would be very helpful i want to start a camp site that is going to be what campers are looking for in a campsite!

Re: Camp Site pricing

If you camp dispersed, you will never have to worrie about any fees!!!!!!!!
    http://www.overlandadventureoutfitters.com

Comment

8 and 10 dollars is the typical price that we have paid in Alaska. I think we stayed at one that was $15. We usually don't move around but stay at one site for the entire weekend.
      May you always have love to share,
      Health to spare
      And friends that care.

Comment

It's been in the 8 to 15 dollar range here in the Deep South generally, though Da Mouse down in Orlando held me up for $75 one night for a 'tent spot' - yeah right...... little slice of grass they couldn't fit an RV on. LAST time for me at a KOA campground!! :(

Usually myself and my buddies ride to an event or attraction, and spend a couple or three nights.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

so its around $8-$15 at the high end okay sweet thinking about going for $5 or even for free but what are major things you look for in a campsite?

Comment

I like trees between the sites and nearby walking trails. My favorite places are campgrounds where you can hardly tell there's anyone else there. One thing that I really really like having is a water source. I mostly stay at state campgrounds and they have hand pump wells.
            May you always have love to share,
            Health to spare
            And friends that care.

Comment

Campsites usually come equipped with a steel anchored fire-ring with flippable grill and picnic table. Dispersed campsites usually have neither and therefore one has to pack a fold-able table. Campsites are more costly in the west than in the east. If your site will be close to a major attraction such as a national park or state park, a person could charge higher fees. In Napa Valley State Park, California we've paid $17.50 p/night(half of $35 p/night normal fee) because I'm a disabled Veteran. Some campgrounds have modern toilet facilities some do not. Garbage can can be place sparingly or at every campsite, but garbage pickup needs to be consistent and frequent. If you are interested in creating one here's 2 great sites to check out:

http://www.campgrounddesign.com/

http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-do-i-c...ampground.html
              Good luck and welcome to our campground....a great place to hang out at when you're not actually camping!
              Last edited by renodesertfox; 03-07-2011, 09:59 AM.
              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Ideally, when tent camping at an established campground, I like to have the 'tent' area away from the RV crowd. Unfortunately, that generally means further from the bath house - just why they give the RV's preference for the bath house is beyond me.....?
                I also want the noise rules enforced - some idiot serenading us a 2:30AM with a badly played guitar and rough voice is NOT condusive to a good night's sleep.
                Electric isn't important for tent camping for us, but a water spigot with good clean water IS.
                Don't want the garbage can/dumpster or the RV dump station too close either, for obvious reasons.
                Having a gas/food store fairly close is nice when traveling.
                Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Some of the campgrounds along the coast in SoCal charge up to $50 a night for the prime spots.

Kinda expensive for a campsite but darn cheap for a room with a view.

Comment

Sighhhhhhh... many of youse are making me feel like I'm being hijacked pricewise..but yes to stay by the sea it's worth it and much much cheaper than a B+B/hotel .....I'll keep reminding self of that as this thread continues.

CT state parks have a two tiered price : one for residents (cheaper) another for out of state users (about...20% more) Currently, they charge out of state residents on average 20.00 a night; cost is dependent on season, amenities and popularity of site. The park I'm currently spending a lot of time at (Hammonasset) charges $30.00 per night w/ a max. of 2 cars, 6 adults and unlimited amt of children. They have a 2 week max per reservation and I take full advantage of the offered time frame. Oh yes and there is a....7.00 or 9.00 booking fee for making the reservation online. The park entrance fee is already included in the campground fee.

Taughannock Falls State Park in NY charges $15.00 per night for state residents and I booked 5 nights there this year. They also charge a booking fee for online reservations. Should memory serve me right, NYS started the regional trend of charging out of state users more cuz if Albany can figger out a way to get blood out of a turnip-they will....

This chart might be of use when figuring out costs in much of the NE:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2010/rpt/2010-R-0053.htm

You can also go to:

http://www.reserveamerica.com

to get costing at any state (including DEC/DEP sites) who uses their services.
                    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

When Susan and I take (for example) HWY 1 (Monterey to Santa Barbara), there are "No Camping" signs along the route, although on the east side of the hwy it is all National Forest land. At the northern end of this section of highway is the only camp grounds, yet, 100 yards south of the entrance to the campground is a road heading east, up the mountain. Drive 10 minutes up that road and there are great places to pull over and spend the night - with the most picturesque view/s of the Pacific @ 1000' above sea level.
                      Chuck
                      So. Oregon
                      TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
                      TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
                      SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                        Ideally, when tent camping at an established campground, I like to have the 'tent' area away from the RV crowd. Unfortunately, that generally means further from the bath house - just why they give the RV's preference for the bath house is beyond me.....?
                        I also want the noise rules enforced - some idiot serenading us a 2:30AM with a badly played guitar and rough voice is NOT condusive to a good night's sleep.
                        Electric isn't important for tent camping for us, but a water spigot with good clean water IS.
                        Don't want the garbage can/dumpster or the RV dump station too close either, for obvious reasons.
                        Having a gas/food store fairly close is nice when traveling.

Good points made here, BigDog!

A good locale for the RV dumping station is near the office and away from the actual campsites, IMO.
                        I don't mind being near RVs per se. Residents can be just as friendly as tenters but I do resent being placed in an obviously smaller site with little amenities, often at a price point that doesn't make up for the differences.

I appreciate when a campsite puts a detailed map online or in print so I can more readily pick the sites I prefer. For instance, I prefer to be further away from the bathing stations as tweens/teens seem to congregate in there late into the night. Oh and a designated hangout spot for those rebels w/o a cause would be useful as well.

Most of the grounds i stay at have a spigot or pump for every 2 sites. This makes it less crowded when food prep is going on in the evening as well as cuts down on peeps washing dishes away from the section's bath houses. Nothing like seeing the remains of a meal around the fresh water spigot to turn my tummy a bit. Interesting how humans can better follow park rules when there is more personal responsibility involved.

As an aside, I note a lot of state parks renting fully or mostly equipped yurts and tents to spark an interest in those w/o camping equipment.
                        This concept has certainly perked new thoughts in some who might never consider camping in the past.
                        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Thanks for the helpful responses keep them coming the more info i get the better overall i can make the campsite for campers. i have been doing a lot of research lately and i am thinking of putting the campground in central utah. Links have been helpful and i am doing well planning just need to do a lot more before this idea gets off the ground

Comment

Campsites in my area average $15-25 at state/national parks. Private campgrounds (nicer) are $25. I think MD prices may be going up; they're adding fees to support the online reservation system.
                            Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

The state parks here in Alabama charge varying rates depending on parks popularity around $15 to $19 a night for primitive which is just an open area in the wood you pick a spot and set up. Could have had a fire where you set up at some point not the best camping but works. Most are away from bath facilitys and only have pit toilets which get rough on busy weekends or toward end of "season". The national forest gets about $14 a night unless you want near water and then it's just under $18. I'd rather be away from RV 's since most have all the comforts of home strung out around campsite(tv,dog pen,strung up electric lights on all night with generators or ac units going on off.....).

Comment

Working...
                              X