Camp Site pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camp Site pricing

We have only camped at state parks, which in Massachusetts are $12/night. Some of the state parks are really nice, with *huge* sites that are spaced a good distance from each other, while others have tiny sites that are very close to each other. We were at one place where the sites were so small that our tent was maybe 25 feet away from the neighbors on either side. It was pretty horrible as you had no privacy.

The state parks on the coast charge $17/night for beach front sites, which we will probably never do as we've heard there is no shade whatsoever on those sites. I love spending the day at the beach, I just don't want to camp there. As an added deterrent for us, state parks with beach sites *do not* allow advance reservations -- it is first come first served. You could end up with a crappy site or worse, no site at all. So unless you've got a backup plan, you could be completely SOL.

Quite frankly, I prefer to be in the woods, among the trees. It's much, much cooler. And since we camp with our dog, we like to be where there are lots of hiking trails. We usually set up camp at one site and stay there for 4-5 days.

We're not the 'bare bones' type of campers. We like to have some comforts of home and like to make it homey. Invariably, family and friends tend to visit our site, so we need to have plenty of room, too.
    "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
    ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

I'll add updated info from my earlier post: I'm camping this week-end at a MD state park. Tent site is $21.75 + $4 something each night as a reservation fee + park entrance fee.
      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

We love the Forest Service campgrounds in N. Wisconsin and the UP. Fees are $10-$14 and we get 1/2 off since we are > 62 years old.

Comment

It went up to $18 per night in the Wisconsin National Park we go to. :eek:

Comment

Here in Texas, at the state parks I have payed as little as $15 a night for a water-only car camping site, up to $25 a night for a electric and water screened shelter. This is in the Houston TX area. I haven't compared all over the state, but I think about $15-20 is a good average. Primative/hike in sites I think can be as little as $5-7 a night up to maybe $10 max.

I have no info on KOA and other private campgrounds, the only times I have camped at those was in the SCA and we had group rates so my individual camp fees were included in the overall event fee.
            Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Pa. state parks charge 15.00 a night for residents and 17.00 for non residents for tent sites. There is usually a bath house and flushing toilets. Some of the bath houses have facilities for cleaning cooking gear in the rear of the bath house to prevent campers from disposing of water that has food smells in it at water hydrants and at other places where it will attract wildlife.Campsites are usually spacious and are spaced to provide privacy between sites. There is usually a space for one vehicle at each tent site. I think they may also charge a 2.00 per night fee for dog friendly sites as I know that all sites do not allow pets.

Comment

I was in Tennessee and North Caroline a couple years ago and the areas I went to the prices where $40 - $50. I got a hotel room for that price and the hotel was cheaper. I was in Missouri State Park in 2011 and I think I paid about $8.00 a night.

Comment

Ontario parks:
                  a basic non electric site is $40/night (+ a $10 reservation fee for the first night) max 6 ppl and one car.
                  Backcountry sites are about $10/night
                  Camping on crown land- free

Comment

I think the OP wants to start his own campground and that is why he is asking.

Most of the responses have been pricing for state/federal public campgrounds which reflect the camping style of many of the subscribers to campingforums.com

Here in Wisconsin, National Park campsites run $12 to $15 per night. State campgrounds are $12 to $22. Depending on the campgrounds, if the site has electricity, if you are a resident/non-resident, and if the site is on water.

PRIVATE campgrounds are a completely different animal. The prices can be MUCH higher and are rarely lower than public campgrounds. The folks that camp at public campgrounds have an entirely different set of criteria than those who go to public campgrounds.

PUBLIC campgrounds usually have a tent pad, picnic table, fire ring, and water/toilets that you walk to. Some sites have electricity. Public campground campers are looking for tranquility, personal space, and connecting with nature. When a public campground is empty, it is the most attractive because the focus is on nature and peacefulness.

PRIVATE campgrounds usually at least have electricity and many have water hook-up. Private campgrounds seem to be a social event. Kids find other kids to play with. Adults reach across campsite boundaries to meet each other, share food and drinks and conversation. Private campgrounds are kind of like a block party. Private campgrounds often have swimming pools, game rooms, maybe miniture golf, sometimes a restaurant and bar. When a private campground is empty, it is at its's worst - like a carnival with nobody there.

As a campground entrepreneur, you will want to decide what type of campground you would like to own most. Then deide what ammenities you can afford to offer at this time. A decade ago, private campsites were struggling to survive. In the past decade of recession, campgrounds both private and public have been thriving as people scaled back their vacation budgets and rediscovered the joys of camping.
                    Last edited by Mike; 11-07-2012, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Here in Pennsylvania as for Fed and State parks I have seen them down as low as $10 a night and up over $30 a night. One park the State has, you can be charged over $30 and also have to pay extra to use their showers.

Comment

Typically 10-17 here in Arizona Ive only paid for camping once in 3 years of doing it fulltime. I always go the dispersed route

Comment

Working...
                        X