How do you store your Paracord??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you store your Paracord??

I just recently got some paracord...decided it was a real hassle to manage it loose so took one of my crochet hooks to it and that got me wondering how you guys handle it if you use it...

Re: How do you store your Paracord??

Well now, here's my suggestions:

550 cord, also known as paracord, is a braided rope made to U.S. military standards for general purpose. Its name comes from the fact that it is rated for 550 pounds and is made to be incredibly strong for its size. Each length of paracord is made up of 14 different strands wound together inside a woven nylon outer sheath. 550 cord can be stored in many ways, including using a spool, coiling the rope in a traditional fashion, or even wrapping it into a weave that is compact and can be pulled out for use.
    Difficulty:Moderately Easy Instructions

things you'll need:

• Tape (if wrapping or spooling)
    • Spool (if spooling)

• Wrapping 550 Cord

• 1 Take one end of the 550 cord and make four loops with a 9-inch diameter, then tape the starting end of the cord to the loop so it does not become lost or tangled.

• 2 Create a bend (also called a loop) from the taped point on the side of the cord facing you. Feed the running end of the cord underneath the rest of the cord then create another bend/loop on the back side of the rope. Feed this loop through the first loop and pull them tight.

• 3 Pull the cord back underneath the remaining cord and create another loop/bend. Feed this bend through the bend you created on the back of the cord then pull tight.

• 4 Continue creating loops on alternating sides and pulling them tight through the loop beforehand. After a few passes around the entire rope, you will have bound all of your cord into a small wrapped circle.

• 5 Take the running end, when finished, and simply pass it through the final loop instead of creating another. Pulling this tight will secure the cord, which can be unraveled by simply freeing that end and pulling.

Coiling 550 cord

• 1 Hold one end of the 550 cord in your non-dominant hand. Place the cord behind your pinky, running it across your palm and behind your thumb. Leave a small amount hanging off your pinky. Be sure not to allow the two ends to cross as that will cause the cord to tangle.

• 2 Coil the 550 cord in a figure eight pattern by pulling it around your pinky in a clockwise motion, then back and around your thumb counterclockwise. This will coil the cord without tangling it.

• 3 Stop once you have coiled most of the rope then grab the loop that is around your thumb. Pull it off your hand and hold it up. Use the loose end to tightly wrap the center section of the cord (the section that had been on your palm) until there are a couple feet left.

• 4 Create a loop in the remaining cord then pass it through the hole that was held by your thumb. Using the same end of the rope that you created the loop with, pass the end through the loop and pull tight. This will keep the cord held in place. When the cord is needed, simply pull this cord out of the tightened loop and pull. Make sure to keep the rope ends separate.

Spooling 550 Cord

• 1 Insert one end of the cord through the small hole in the center beam of the spool. If there is no hole, tape the cord to one side of the beam. Spools should primariy be used to store large amounts of cord.

• 2 Turn the spool in one direction (clockwise or counterclockwise) while feeding the cord slowly across the beam. As it covers the length of the beam, guide the cord backwards so as it spools it covers the entire spool evenly.

• 3 Pass the end through a hole in the spool and tie it or tape the end to the top side of the spool once you have reached the end of the cord. This will make it easier to find the end of the cord when needed.

Ads by Google

Tips & Warnings

• While 550 cord is made to be incredibly strong, do not use it to support body weight or for climbing. It is not made for this purpose.
    • Remember, never let the two ends of the 550 cord pass over or under each other. This will cause it to tangle.

Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

so which of the two do you use then?? spooling or coiling??

Comment

For me it's coiling all the way! To each his/her own. It really doesn't matter... it is what it is intended for. That's what matters for me. Each has it's own options. Depends.

Comment

Great instructions - but again, I must be an un-savvy slacker. seems like too much work for me.

I love paracord for camping. It's the "duct tape" of the rope and cord world. But the fact that it is not bulky is one of the reason I use so much of it.

Out of all the varied ways I use it around camp, I hardly ever have lengths longer than 20' or 30', which will ball up in a double-fist full size. And since another great feature is that it does not tangle easily, I just gather all my various lengths, (separately of course), crunch them into a ball and shove in gallon-size ZiplLocs. Press out the excess air and seal. Works great. My "rope locker" is just a 5-gallon bucket that I reach into for a bag of cord whenever I need it. No-muss no-fuss, and no time untangling separate cords.

Gus

Comment

Might be a little off topic but renodesertfox had the paracord bracelet mentioned in his post. I like to do some of the paracord weaves and bracelet making. I found this site to be real help when I first started.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Para...elease-buckle/

Also, you can find youtube videos on making the bracelets. I like to make them and the kids love them. Of course you can never store a whole bunch of cord this way.
            "Like what you do, do what you like." - Life is Good Slogan

Comment

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

We use the fluorescent pink and green cord found at Home Depot for around $3/package. It's the same grade as the OEM cord sold with Sierrra Design tents but in a high-visibilty color for avoiding at night. It has its own plastic holder that we simply re-spool the line onto. this cord is typically used for a clothesline after the needed lengths are cut for guy-outs: we camp in the San Diego County mountains or the low desert and a tent-wrecking wind can come up at a moment's notice, guy outs are a must.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Well spoken! TP!

Comment

I am out of 550 cord at this point, I plan on ordering another spool, so for me it will be stored on a spool. Usually when I pull some off I burn the ends to seal them, then wrap it up like an extension cord, just smaller size. Depending on how much I also make a little braid thing I learned in the military or make a crazy long noose for shorter pieces and hang it on different things I carry.
                    Los Cuernos Ranch on Facebook

Comment

GBJ, do you think this is the extra-thick grade I'm using for guyouts? I'm thinking that "real cord" like your 550 is a few grades beyond what I'm using. There have got to be goof-proof slip-n-slide corner pull ropes for TP's SoCal Camp'n Mountain Sojourn Rallies out there,somewhere...:confused:
                      Last edited by tplife; 04-30-2011, 04:54 AM.
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

tplife, I'm not sure what you use but the idea of high vis is cool, I think you can get 550 cord in florescent too. Ebay showed lots of colors in price ranges about a $1 for 10'. I use this 550-ParaMilitary-Cord in OD Green, it is hard to see to a degree. I used it to secure my tents in the military among other things, I used my last bit when I camped in Ft Davis last year. I have never broken it, this stuff is strong, and it is not bulky like rope of similar strength and its not as expensive climbing rope.
                        Los Cuernos Ranch on Facebook

Comment

I store mine coiled like you would find long electrical cords on a construction site. It looks like a continuous figure-eight, and is pretty much impossible to tangle when stored like that. Then it is placed into a zippy bag.
                          Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

I leave it on the spool. And when I'm
                            traveling, the whole spool goes with me.

JP
                            Never underestimate the power
                            of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

I'm almost embarrassed to say that we only pack a 15 or 20' length of cord for our clothesline and that's it. We use bungee cords for everything else. We have a large bag filled with many sizes and strengths of bungees.
                              "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
                              ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Working...
                              X