Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campsite security: worrying about thieves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Campsite security: worrying about thieves?

I think some of the best security with tent camping can be other campers. If you go off hiking, introduce yourself to your neighbors, and tell them you will be away for awhile. I am happy to watch others' tents while I am hanging out as well.
    -J

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Test View Post
      I think some of the best security with tent camping can be other campers. If you go off hiking, introduce yourself to your neighbors, and tell them you will be away for awhile. I am happy to watch others' tents while I am hanging out as well.
      -J
      That is very good advice.. Thanks..

Thank you all for your advice.. I was planning on starting a bear thread at some point, although I have found a few already, I really only have one question left which does fall under this security thread I feel..

Do they have a bear box for each tent site? Would a bear mess with a car if there was food and cooking stuff inside?

We don't really have any large toothy mammals in Australia. Lots of small poisonous ones, but nothing that can mess with your campsite I really want to see a bear, just not up close!

Thanks for the canyon tips too!

Comment

just look at this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeM5_...feature=fvwrel, and then tell me if you will leave food in your car. Just the racoons will rip through tents and bags.

Comment

Yes, all organized NP & SP campgrounds in bear country have bear canisters in each campsite out west. Some in the east do but it's been awhile since we camped in Tennessee(my bride is from there). In northwestern Pennsylvania near Kinuza Dam there are bear boxes. Dispersed camping/back-packing one is pretty-much on your own. Here's a couple of pics:

Lassen Volcanic National Park, CA. The box is next to our WJ.

Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

All the years I've been camping (20) I've never heard nor seen anyone steal anything. We leave most of our stuff out that we constantly use (tarps,bikes,stove,pots&pans) and none have ever come up missing due to sticky fingers.

Normally when you go camping you'll come across down to earth decent folks that look out for each other,
            not many are trashy types at least in my experience.

As far as leaving food outdoor storage for food is concerned we use an Engel cooler that locks, its supposedly animal resistant and so far no raccoons have gotten in . It works just fine but in a place like California where mountain lions roam and bears are frequent I would want my food as far away from me as possible. Here in PA that isn't so much a concern.
            Last edited by LITTLEfish; 05-17-2011, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
              Yes, all organized NP & SP campgrounds in bear country have bear canisters in each campsite out west. Some in the east do but it's been awhile since we camped in Tennessee(my bride is from there). In northwestern Pennsylvania near Kinuza Dam there are bear boxes. Dispersed camping/back-packing one is pretty-much on your own. Here's a couple of pics:

So that's what a bear box looks like!
              Heard of them but never seen 'em.
              Bet you could put certain valuables in there before the food goes in .

Still don't know what the answer is to leaving cars at trail's end is though:(.
              I'm sorry.
              Deliverance's soundtrack is playing in my head and I can't get rid of it.................oops ...
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Yes they are lockable....(well, some are)! It's a good idea to carry a couple of spare locks; their small and take up little space. It's like taking a hammer with you to go camping, if you only had taken a hammer then you wouldn't look like a caveman pounding in your tent stakes! heehee!

Comment

At campgrounds that have on site managers. I just place all of my stuff inside the tent, save the chairs. I've never had an issue. Now if I'm hiking in, I try to make my old Suburban appear to have nothing but a mess inside and I put a flashing red LED light that is visible on my dash(powered by car battery and switched). I've never had an issue. If I head to the forest and primitive camp from the Suburban, I try to make the site appear that we are near and just exploring. I like to go fishing and hiking when I camp and it's tough sometimes to not worry about your rig. The first few visits to the forest, I ruined my experience by worrying too much. I try now to block it out and just roll the dice. With precautions of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Test View Post
                    just look at this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeM5_...feature=fvwrel, and then tell me if you will leave food in your car. Just the racoons will rip through tents and bags.
                    hmm.. well I wouldn't if I had a convertible!! Ain't no raccoon gonna shred my Jeep Grand Cherokee like that!!

Thanks for the video though, it linked onto some nice bear vids. Man those things can move fast!

Comment

Here's another video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CARM1-ZQYb4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBnGe9HDGBI
                      Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-20-2011, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Here's a great link to read and protect your equipment & food from bears.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...-%20Recreation

Comment

It is a good idea to lock your valuables laptop, cameras, etc when your not around. Also hid your stuff and get creative if you are really worried about it. Most people camping are honest people like some replies said, but taking some caution is a good idea.

Also, if you have one or plan on getting, have a weapon and take some classes if your new to owning a gun. Protecting yourself from animals as well as people that are crazy or thugs, is a good idea.

When you are out and about, bring a knife with you as that is the camper's smartest tool.
                          Check Out Best Place For Quality Portable Solar Power & Solar Battery Charger Kits

Comment

Thanks for the advice everybody!

@HogSnapper - Great ideas! I hadn't considered either of those solutions. The gear in our car isn't going to be a huge $$$ value, but it will be everything we own and need to live for the next few months! a real pain to replace, even if insurance were to cover it (I wouldn't bank on that!). it might look a lot more appealing than it really is through the windows too.

Comment

I would like to make one little comment.

If you do leave something in your car or truck, cover it with a tarp or blanket. When a low-life looks in and sees a camera or laptop, or camping gear he recognizes he is more likely to break the window. If it is a mystery and may be some paint cans and brushes he may not take the chance.

In my neighborhood at work, it a purse is left on the car seat, the window will be broken.

Comment

Working...
                              X