Recent issues concerning Tent - vs - RV camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recent issues concerning Tent - vs - RV camping

I think some people have a very broad idea of what camping is. (IE Sleeping somewhere that isn't a normal residential area.) Others have something more specific in mind. (ie ONLY in a tent, with a wood fire, eating beans from a can, etc)

I think its more about getting out and enjoying nature and getting away from your cable TV, computer, boss, noisy neighbors, traffic, etc. I enjoy tent camping. It makes me feel more connected to the land. Same as riding a motorcycle makes me feel more connected with the world, as opposed to seeing it while floating along in a glass and steel cage.

Same as there are bikers and non bikers, there will be tenters and RVers. The road is big enough for both as long as everyone watches what they are doing. I don't mind camping next to someone in an RV, as long as they respect what I am trying to do, which is not hear them blasting rap music, watching "Jersey Shore" on satellite with the sound turned way up, or tossing beer cans and garbage all over the woods.

Last time I went camping, it was wet and raining so we split the difference and rented a screen shelter. It was basically a little one room cabin, with screened windows all around, a ceiling fan, and light bulb. Did I feel like I wasn't camping? Hell no, it was essentially a permanent wooden tent we put all our stuff into, and then we sat outside by the fire the rest of the time we weren't sleeping. We cooked over a coleman stove, has propane lanterns for light, etc.

Here it is. Just replace the shelter with "huge tent" or "pop-up camper" and its the same scene.
    Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

I don't care what (or which) you do. As long as it doesn't impact me.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnbebout View Post
        I don't care what (or which) you do. As long as it doesn't impact me.
        I wish there was a "Like" button on the forum.

Oh wait I found the "reputation" button. Score!

Comment

IMO, camping is an experience - how you choose to "experience" it is up to you. a "mine is better than yours" argument always has a downside for someone - too bad.

But, on the other hand, if you enjoy camping in an RV, fine, just don't try to portray it as "the real deal"

and if one of us tent campers shows up at your door, soaked and shivering, just smile and put on a fresh pot of coffee. We won't rub it in too much

Gus

Comment

My thoughts have been evolving. I used to think there is a difference between RVs and "real" camping, i.e. tents. But lately I've been fascinated by, and reading a lot, on the Norwegian philosophy of "friluftsliv" - loosely translated as "open air living". I call it "outdoor living". Based on that, my thoughts now are: If a person is spending the day outdoors in nature, whether R&R at a campsite, fishing, hiking, birdwatching, whatever - then it makes no difference what their sleeping accommodations are. The important element is being outdoors -- and experiencing nature -- at whatever level your interest, fitness, comfort, and safety allows you.
            Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I have read and reread this thread several times since joining last September.During that time I have examined my own philosophy as to what I believe camping really is and I have decided that I would like to share it with you today. It is just my opinion and some of you might agree while some of you won't. I believe that in our short time on this earth we should never stop learning about any one thing, we should be open minded to any thing that we don't understand, and we should come to the realization that we will never know everything about any one thing. My fondest memories are of times I have spent in the outdoors. I was camping before I was old enough to join the boy scouts, When I was old enough to join I joined and spent several years camping as a scout. I camped as a scout leader for 18 years and I have camped With my family, my friends, and by myself. ( actually camping by myself means I usually have my dog with me.) I believe that every trip I take has a special meaning of it's own and that each experience is unique. I have gone to camp and was sheltered in a cabin. I have tent camped in our large 12x12 tent in campgrounds with neighbors too close to provide me with the privacy I desire, and I have camped in the backcountry in a backpackers tent, trail shelter,and even sleeping under the stars. I have backpacked on several trails in my native Pa. including many trips to sections of the AT that are close to my home. I have canoe and kyack camped along the Delaware River and in doing so I have camped in commercial campgrounds along the way as well as wilderness camped on some of the islands located in the Delaware Water Gap. One of my favorite camps was a place where my wife and another couple who have been our friends for many years used to go in Bradford County, Pa. It was an old church camp that was privately own and named Token Lake. At this camp we stayed in a cabin complete with a kitchen, bathroom and hot and cold running water but we went there once a year to practice and enjoy Dutch Oven cooking, something that we did alot of in our boy scout leader days. My point of telling you all of this is that there have been some very good comments made on this thread and I would like to borrow some of them in the following statement. Camping should be approached with an open mind. Shadow makes an excellent point by saying, "I think people have a very broad Idea of what camping is." Perhaps we should call it open air living or outdoor living as GlitterHiker does. Gus says" How you choose to experince it is up to you." and Shawnbebout has a similar opininion with the statement "I don't care what or how you do it, as long as it doesn't impact on me." BigDog57 comes to the point with the following statement, "Getting out and doing it is more important than how we do it." I have enjoyed the variety of ways I have camped. I believe that we should all enjoy the outdoors in whatever way makes us happy as long as we respect others around us. I believe that we should be respected by those around us as well, and above all else I think SilverMaggie has a great point when she says " Respect for the outdoors is what matters." There will always be situations that we like or don't like and making the best of them is what matters most. I believe that we should form our own opinion of what camping is but there is a need to respect the fact that others may not agree with us and that their opinion is just as important to them as ours is to ourselves. Above all I think that as we form our opinions and as we realize the ethics that go into being good neighbors and stewarts of the land we use we should strive to instill our good values in our children, our grand children, and anyone else we happen to teach as we go. If it is living in the outdoors than it is camping, it is an activity with many levels but it is camping non the less. Enjoy your time in the outdoors no matter what method you coose and if you get the chance to experience the out doors in a different way take the plunge and give it a try because you might just like it and you might just find a different way to add to your enjoyment of the outdoors.

Comment

Quite agreed! I enjoy both depending on the mood and the length of time I will be camping.

Comment

I agree also with both sides, and as long as people are considerate and caring of their neighbors it honestly shouldn't make a difference if they are in tents or RV's. I love camping in tents, i have never camped in an RV, to date. I will eventually try it, but I'm more of a rugged sleep on the ground with the bugs kinda girl
                  Canvas Tarps

Comment

Tent -vs RV camping ????? Sounds a lot like the old Ford-vs- Chevrolet argument it could go on forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Bob 66 View Post
                      Tent -vs RV camping ????? Sounds a lot like the old Ford-vs- Chevrolet argument it could go on forever.
                      Tent vs RV is beyond apples and oranges. More like apples and broccolli. Two very different experiences. Even the mindset of the people are different. The only thing they have in common is wanting to go camping. Most of the people I know who tent camp, try to bring as little of the outside world with them as possible. RV seems to bring as much of their house with them as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
                        Tent vs RV is beyond apples and oranges. More like apples and broccolli. Two very different experiences. Even the mindset of the people are different. The only thing they have in common is wanting to go camping. Most of the people I know who tent camp, try to bring as little of the outside world with them as possible. RV seems to bring as much of their house with them as possible.
                        As you said the the only thing they have in common is wanting to go camping. That sounds like a lot in common to me

Comment

yeah, but its like the difference between riding a motorcycle and driving a truck.

Comment

As I said before Ford-vs Chevrolet could go on forever

Comment

I would love to try RV camping, but I'm afraid I can't afford that! It's just tent camping for me and my kids!

Comment

I've read through all the post on this thread and I agree with a lot some have said. I grew up camping with my Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles and cousins alot of the time when we all got to gather there was a mix of campers, RVs, and tents. We usually only slept in them everything else was done outside (some of my favorite memories of my grandfather is camping at Lake Texhoma)... so when I had kids we started out in a tent then bought a popup but still tent camped a lot ... OK well I think that as long as you enjoy (how ever you enjoy and can afford) is camping getting away from the phone and the pressures of work... When you have to give it up for a while ANY CAMPING IS GOOD but this is just my opinion.:o

Comment

Working...
                                X