Camping Tips: Got Any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping Tips: Got Any?

We also put a small tarp inside the tent to catch all the dust and other debris we drag in on our feet or the dogs fur.
    Staying DRY is what it is all about and a little shade from a hot sun isn’t bad either. www.Flibitygiget.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
      Yep, I learned this one early on - it seems to always rain on one day during campout! And no nylon bag is ever rainproof! :cool:
      I put dirty clothes in a ziplock bag too - keeps them from stinking the others up, if the campground has no washing facility.
      Also, if you run out of liquid 'camp soap' for bathing, a big bottle of Prell shampoo goes a long ways - it's what we used in USAF bootcamp instead of bar soap. Makes a good body wash!
      Here's another along those lines - put a small amount of Joy Lemon dishwashing detergent into an open container near your nightly sitting area to keep mosquitoes and gnats at bay. It acts like citronella.
      "I don't like to trespass but sometimes you just find yourself over the line" - Bob Dylan
      Car Camping - Your Escape Shuttle to a Cutting Edge Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by teric View Post
        Here's another along those lines - put a small amount of Joy Lemon dishwashing detergent into an open container near your nightly sitting area to keep mosquitoes and gnats at bay. It acts like citronella.
        I like that idea!
        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Hadn't thought of Lemon Joy, will have to give that a try, thanks teric
          Staying DRY is what it is all about and a little shade from a hot sun isn’t bad either. www.Flibitygiget.com

Comment

BRING A URINAL !!!. Saves many nighttime miles during a camping trip.

I consider it as important as the tent these days.

Comment

Music as being Essential? No. Desireable? ABSOLUTELY!

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

great tips! thanks for sharing!

Comment

We use very little disposable items. I use men's white handkerchiefs for inexpensive napkins and towels. They are light weight and dry fast. It saves money and is less to carry out.

Comment

I agree with the third tip. The worst thing that could happen to you after is rubbing that unnecessary burn on the bottom of your pans and pots.

Another good tip is to keep that swiss knife in your pocket or on the hook of your belter at all times. You might not need it at the moment but you would not know when it would come handy.

Though I think that the fire would drive away some insects already, some other forms even get attracted to them. So you better watch out or burn something that would take them off.

Comment

Love this tip too.

Comment

Bring baby wipes on your next campingtrip. It's great for cleaning little messes and for freshening up. Eco-friendly wipes available too!

Comment

Eat garlic before your camping trip if you are expecting black flies. Also a one quart hand held pump sprayer for rinsing hands and rinsing soap after lathering up.

Comment

Originally posted by annaj
                            Bug Spray in your tent! Dr.Scholls foot cream and blister block. Also I make sure to bring music (not playing loudly) it just sets the tone for the campfire. Does anyone else find music essential?
                            Music is an absolute! I don't listen to it the whole trip because I love the sound of nature as it's own kind of music but I do like to have it on when I am cooking or setting up camp or other chore like things. For the relaxing times, I like to listen to the music made by the nightly creatures, such as the crickets and the frogs and sound of the fire crackling. Does anyone else agree?
                            "I don't like to trespass but sometimes you just find yourself over the line" - Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                              Eat garlic before your camping trip if you are expecting black flies. Also a one quart hand held pump sprayer for rinsing hands and rinsing soap after lathering up.
                              Did NOT know about garlic! Thank you spud! I wish I had known that when I lived up north.

Another tip - Avon Skin So Soft does wonders as a bug repellent in the South against gnats and other flying teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
                                Garlic works because it has sulphur in it. Any sulphurous foods will make you taste bad. Think yellow egg yolks, garlic, onions, cabbage, and quite a few others. You can also buy sulphur pills from a health food store or just get flowers of sulphur, which is just fine powdered sulphur, at the garden store. You can eat it with some honey and you can't taste it. You can also get unscented garlic pills from a health food store.

Eat high sulphur foods and take a teaspoon of sulphur with some honey every day for a week before you go camping and the bugs will leave you alone.
                                I hope I remember this as I want to try it next year!
                                "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
                                ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Working...
                                X