Security while camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security while camping

This summer will be the first time I ever go camping. It will just be myself (female) and my daughter. We will be going to a state forest and there are lots of other tent sights around us but, I still feel like I should pay attention to our personal safety (being just 2 girls and all). Or...am I just paranoid? Maybe just a can of mace or something? IDK What are the steps/things you take camping just in case?

Also, I've read (somewhere) about keeping the food/coolers in a seperate smaller tent. I do have a small play tent still hanging around from when my daughter was younger. I could use that. What do you all do with your coolers?

Yikes...I'm so glad I found this forum because as I read I realize I have no idea what I'm doing. Should make for a fun trip....lol

Re: Security while camping

I actually worry more about animals than I do people. We always camp at state parks and the folks there are mostly very nice. When we leave our campsite, we always lock valuables in the car or take them with us. That's just common sense.

I would suggest introducing yourself to your nearest camp neighbors. This will allow you to know who belongs on what campsite, this will also allow them to know who belongs on your site.

We have a separate screen house that we use for a camp kitchen. We store all the food and coolers there (one for food and one for drinks).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen house.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	69330

The idea for two coolers came from this site and it's a great one since we were always opening the cooler for drinks constantly. By storing the drinks separate from your food, the food cooler stays colder and the ice doesn't melt as fast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen setup in screen house.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	69331

There is no right or wrong way to do things. You will need to experiment to find out what works best for you. While I have not been camping for a long time as an adult, my family always went camping when I was a kid. I remember what I thought didn't work, or would've liked to have had. From those memories, I've been able to set up camp the way that works for me and my husband.

As you camp, you will figure out what works best for you and your children. Happy camping! :D
    "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
    ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Hello JustinTime.

Like, surmisez, it's more the animals I'm concerned about than the people.
      Should a can of mace make you feel more secure, I say bring it.
      I've been camping on and off for ......30+ years (mostly off but back in the swing of things :D) yet have never encountered more annoying than a boisterous party of air guitar playing weekend boozers blasting "Grand Funk Railroad". Not sure if it was the music or visuals that bothered me more. Let's just say that combined they gave me a headache.

Taking your valuables with you or locking your wallet in the car seems sensible to me although I've never had camping equipment stolen from me so I just leave it where it is.

Yesssss to multiple coolers. Makes life easier from an organisation POV as well as ensures the ice lasts longer. Currently, I'm up to 3 coolers- one functions as a freezer, another as a fridge and the last one is for storing beverages. It's the drink cooler that get's opened more than any other in the course of a day at my end. Keep in mind, I entertain a lot and stay out for long time frames. For the average person 2 coolers is fine, I suspect.

I also keep my coolers in a screen house but it's not really necessary...more of a nicety. Without a screen house I just store them under the nearest tree, covered with a blanket or under a picnic table for shade. Worried about raccoons and such? Place a weight on top or be sure you've a cooler that closes tight. Love Coleman Xtremes for that function.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Since I camp in a heavily populated bear area, I have had to learn how to reduce the invitation for visitation by the critters. THe first thing that I do is plan my menu with stuff that don't invite animals in. Frying bacon, hamburgers etc is out. The smell carries too far and stays to long. I am cautious when picking food so as to not allow for enticing smells that can be absorbed by my cooking shelter. Next, any grease or left over food should be disposed of in a garbage bag that is left in the truck of your car. Aging food left overs are dinner bells. I put all of my dry goods in plastic, sealed tubs. Chips, cookies, bread etc are all in a large plastic container. If I open a package of cookies, I put the leftovers in a ziplock before I put them back in the tub. Fruit is another enticement. Keep it with the dry goods or in the cooler.
        Remember, no smells = no animals!
        FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
          Since I camp in a heavily populated bear area, I have had to learn how to reduce the invitation for visitation by the critters. THe first thing that I do is plan my menu with stuff that don't invite animals in. Frying bacon, hamburgers etc is out. The smell carries too far and stays to long. I am cautious when picking food so as to not allow for enticing smells that can be absorbed by my cooking shelter. Next, any grease or left over food should be disposed of in a garbage bag that is left in the truck of your car. Aging food left overs are dinner bells. I put all of my dry goods in plastic, sealed tubs. Chips, cookies, bread etc are all in a large plastic container. If I open a package of cookies, I put the leftovers in a ziplock before I put them back in the tub. Fruit is another enticement. Keep it with the dry goods or in the cooler.
          Remember, no smells = no animals!

So what do you cook, Mike and what kind of bears are in your area?
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

This reminds me of a camping trip with my parents. We camped next to a couple of retired ladies in a small pup tent. Every night they would put a very large, well worn pair of mans old work boots outside the tent. They told me they also each slept with a hammer. They traveled all summer around the country and said they had never been bothered.

Comment

We have black bears and Griz where I camp. Lots of both since I camp about 4 miles west of Yellowstone Park's west boundry. We also have mountain lions and wolves to round out the predator food chain.
              When I am camping, I usually don't cook breakfast. Yogurt.
              For lunch I have deli turkey and ham along with cheese for sandwiches.
              Dinner is my cooking meal.
              Chicken breasts work great.
              Sweet and sour chicken w/ basmati rice.
              Stew. and anything I can dutch oven.
              Tacos (prefry the hamburger)
              When you cook certain meat, the grease vaporizes and condenses on your cooking shelter. The smell then stays for a long time, attracting bears etc. The greasier the meat, the worse that it is. For instance, bacon or sausage are bad, ham slices are the best. If I am cooking breakfast, ham and eggs and pancakes are OK.
              If I can walk into my cooking area two hours after dinner and still smell what I ate, I have not succeeded in choosing my menu correctly.

Comment

Howdy Mike, while you're planning your next campout....take a look at this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35484383...ational-parks/

This was a big topic here on CF over the winter. Every six months or so CF gets a new crowd that sticks around for a couple of months, then they are gone. But maybe now with the increase of lady campateers we may have a more steady crowd of honest people. Campateers are the most honest people on the face of this planet! Thanks everyone for making CF, one of the best camping forums on the web!
                Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks Brent,
                  Good to know. I knew that it was in the works but didn't know that is was going into effect so soon.
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                    This reminds me of a camping trip with my parents. We camped next to a couple of retired ladies in a small pup tent. Every night they would put a very large, well worn pair of mans old work boots outside the tent. They told me they also each slept with a hammer. They traveled all summer around the country and said they had never been bothered.

This is too funny!

Thanks all! Maybe someday I'll be asking tips on backpack camping somewhere way out there. lol I see myself in an episode of "I shouldn't be alive" if I did that. Oy...lots to learn and I look forward to it. =)

Comment

Yaay! more solo female campers! On many of my outings, I've seen other females tent camping alone - definitely seems to be new trend.

I think it's important to consider your personal safety and to plan for it. I have never had any problems, except for being freaked out while primitive camping in a state forest, described in my post here: http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...-This-Week-end
                      • I walk around and check out my camping neighbors. I say hello and make eye contact -- so they are aware that I have seen them.
                      • I always introduce myself to the camp host or ranger, and let them know I'm alone. Typically, rangers will check on you more often if you're alone. (also in the post I linked, I mentioned tips from the ranger. When you go on your trip, be sure to tell them at check-in that you and your daughter are alone; they will assist and give you more tips. Ask them if there's been any trouble.)
                      • I sleep with bear spray, a whistle, and a knife right next to me. (I think it was here that I learned bear spray deterrent works with people too)

Unrelated to solo-females camping - please do not leave your food in a spare tent (depending on where in the U.S. you're located). There's a big problem with black bears in the Shenandoah region (East Coast). Black bears are associating tents with food, and ripping into tents when campers are not there, in search of food. If you put food in an extra tent, you are just continuing with that positive training. Screen room or tarp is better, please.

Please let us know if you have any more questions!

All in fun: Also, be careful with suggestions from NYCgrrl and Surmisez - They're converting me away from primitive camping to homey glamping. Instead of buying supplies at outdoor/sporting goods stores, you may be shopping at Crate&Barrel and Pottery Barn.
                      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
                        All in fun: Also, be careful with suggestions from NYCgrrl and Surmisez - They're converting me away from primitive camping to homey glamping. Instead of buying supplies at outdoor/sporting goods stores, you may be shopping at Crate&Barrel and Pottery Barn.
                        ROTF LMAO!!! OMGoodness! My eyes are tearing up, I'm laughin' so hard.

Hey now, there's nothing wrong with having a few comforts of home while tent camping. :cool: LOL!
                        "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
                        ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Even our coffee cups are from Starbucks because we like how they stack and they're not metal or plastic! When we tent camp, and there is just the two of us, sometimes we take nine different types of folding chairs and an assortment of fold-up tables, our big buddy tent heater and portable potty....we just don't wanna leave the tent even when one is suppose to! Haha! btw: one blanket we use did come from Pottery Barn! Heehee!
                          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                            we take nine different types of folding chairs
                            Wow! that must set some kind of record. I'm glad you're comfy while you're out there!
                            Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Has anyone encountered any issues with things being stolen? I personally havent but I've heard horror stories of people leaving a few things outside of their tent and waking up and having them be gone. It's hard to believe but I suppose campgrounds can be prime spots for thieves

Comment

Working...
                              X