What do I NEED?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I NEED?

I will be taking my daughter on our first ever camping trip. We will only be about an hour or so from home in a state park. I worry that we won't like it much so I don't want to buy a lot of gear this time around...just in case. What are the basic things I should bring along. I've already purchased a tent (duh) an air bed (not ready for the ground yet), a grill type thing that will go over the camp fire and we already have sleeping bags. I know I'll need a light of some sort and bug spray (any suggestions). Our days will be filled with biking, hiking, and kayaking...but what about the evenings? What type of things do you do once the sun goes down... keeping in mind it's just the two of us. Our site does not have electric and other than what I already bought...I have NOTHING.

Would love any suggestions to make this a fun time...I want us to enjoy it.

Re: What do I NEED?

We always sit around the campfire and chat or play board games/cards. Night time is the best. You're winding down from your day and getting a chance to bond again without the TV or computers.
    "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
    ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Thank you Surmisez...I've told my daughter she is in charge of night time activities but I'm looking for lots of ideas. She's thinking a girly night (hair, nails, etc..) and a game night. I've invited a friend couple to join us for a day to hang out or hike, bike, kayak, and dinner. I don't know if they will join us yet, but the camp ground rules are that they have to leave at 8pm. I guess I just don't want us to be bored. If I were a more outgoing person we might make friends with neighboring campers but that kind of thing is hard for me (very shy). *sigh* We are looking forward to this new adventure and if my phone had any reception in the area we might try some geocaching, but whenever we've been there I've got nothing as far as a signal for cell use. Maybe I just worry too much. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Just-in-time View Post
        I will be taking my daughter on our first ever camping trip. We will only be about an hour or so from home in a state park. I worry that we won't like it much so I don't want to buy a lot of gear this time around...just in case. What are the basic things I should bring along. I've already purchased a tent (duh) an air bed (not ready for the ground yet), a grill type thing that will go over the camp fire and we already have sleeping bags. I know I'll need a light of some sort and bug spray (any suggestions). Our days will be filled with biking, hiking, and kayaking...but what about the evenings? What type of things do you do once the sun goes down... keeping in mind it's just the two of us. Our site does not have electric and other than what I already bought...I have NOTHING.

Would love any suggestions to make this a fun time...I want us to enjoy it.
        Bug spray: get the highest amount of DEET available for the activities planned. I've had good success with Off FamilyCare Insect Repellent, around the camp site. I think the one I use has about 15% Deet and it's not as sticky feeling as some other products. For kayaking, I'd probably use a higher amount of DEET...say closer to 30%. Still, for a variety of reasons, I use the sprays, sparingly at the camp site and depend on citronella buckets and/or torches to keep us bug free.

It sounds like you'll have full days of activities and I'm with surmisez- board games (I go no where w/o my backgammon set) and talking late into the night whilst staring into the campfire make it all seem worthy.

Must say I like your DD's idea of a girly night and think I'll borrow it for part of my up coming trip. There will be several lil girls with me for a few days and this activity sounds like it'll be right up their alley...maybeee I'll even bring my mud mask so we can scare our fellow campers a bit :D.

Don't worry about being "shy"; you'll have lots of opportunities to meet others if you want to. Communal bathrooms and cooking "kitchens" have that kind of effect on many .
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

For lighting your campsite at night, there are many choices, but to keep it simple I would suggest a battery operated lantern(Wal-mart) and get everyone their own LED headlights that fit on a person's head which frees up a person's hands. Boat shoes for the Kayak(Wal-mart), and sturdy light-weight hiking boots(Wal-mart) for around camp. I've seen individuals wearing flip-flops while camping and there were plenty of band-aids on toes and scraps from underbrush. Bring plenty of sunscreen too, out in a kayak or any water-craft a person can turn into a lobster real quick. The highest SPF will be just fine. Sunburns during camping are no fun!
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I would think about buying a couple of lanterns if the site has no electricity. I know the bug spray that I use is Cutters skinsations. It doesn't smell gross like many of the other sprays, and is really effective despite having a low deet content (which makes it much better for your skin). I would suggest bringing a pack of cards, they are kind of a camping trip necessity.

Comment

Bring a roll of toilet paper! I would recommend that you bring an extra sleeping bag or a blanket to put over the air mattress and under your sleeping bags. You will be much more comfortable. If you are going in the water, bring 20 feet of rope for a clothes line (tie between trees) to dry out your stuff.
              FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

I would recommend at least one tarp and some rope to suspend overhead near your fire pit where you will spend your evening time and you can prepare your food under it also. Tarps are not just for rain but also provide shade and shelter from things falling out of the sky and trees onto you or your food, I'll mention birds and spiders just for a few.

We also carry 4-6 of the inexpensive solar powered LED yard lights to place around the site that give plenty of light for walking around without having to be blinded by a full power lantern, save that for the time your really need to look for something. These LED lights won't kill your night vision like the lantern will and you may enjoy your evenings even more and still have the light you need.
                Staying DRY is what it is all about and a little shade from a hot sun isn’t bad either. www.Flibitygiget.com

Comment

*Solar Flashlight

It would be a good idea to bring a solar flashlight, I will wait until we have more posts to leave a link, but the Hybrid Solar Flashlight has been expectational well for campers. It also floats, takes less than 3 hours to charge and can last up to 8 hours from one charge. Plus there is a life time warranty.

*Bug Spray
                  Having bug spray is very helpful during those night activities.

*Mashmellow
                  Roasting mashmellows is a great past time for you and your daughter to connect and chill and talk about life and how she likes the camping experience and discuss the night's events, also talk about tomorrows plans.

*K Light Solar Lantern
                  This is another lighting solution for your tent that is not expensive and will help in emergencies if your daughter decides she does not like the camping trips.

Hope this helps you and have a great trip. Be sure to take lots of pictures.
                  Check Out Best Place For Quality Portable Solar Power & Solar Battery Charger Kits

Comment

WOW great tips and lots of things I wouldn't think of. Thank you all so much. Planning to practice w/ a camp fire this weekend while my daughter has some friends over and weather permiting I'm going to try to get them to sleep outside in the tent (right outside our back door with lots of little x-tra comforts and the outside light on). I think it will be fun for them to eat camp cooked dinner and some smores...I even bought a jiffy pop to do over the fire. We shall see.... Keep those great tips coming, I'm lovin' it!

Comment

Here are two books that I found especially helpful when I started camping:

"Let's Get Primitive - the Urban Girl's Guide to Camping", by Heather Menicucci
                      Not only does she covers the basics of tent camping, but it's a really fun read. She addresses "girl" stuff too and evening activities. I really enjoy it.
                      http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Get-Primi...8529385&sr=1-1

"Tent and Car Camper's Handbook"
                      This was the first book I bought about camping. It inspired me by laying it all out very simply. I still refer to it.
                      http://www.amazon.com/Tent-Car-Campe...8529458&sr=1-1

Please let us know what other questions you have.
                      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

One of our must haves is a pudgie pie maker(sandwich iron). As a kid, that was the highlight of the trip. Smores are a must, but pudgie pies were the best. Fruit, pizza, grilled cheese, you name it, we made it. Super fast, easy, and a cinch to clean up.

I have been camping my whole life, but when I moved out and had to get my own gear it helped me to just imagine all of the tasks and things you would do in a day. You would be amazed the ideas that pop into your head. Start at the bottom with the basics, and work your way up through the comforts.

Comment

Shelter, light, water, food, basic first aid kit,protection from wild and human animals. Those things are needed.

Sleeping bags, pillows, change(s) of clothes, snacks, entertainment (cards, games, books), radio, rain gear, water filter, sharp knife, map, comp**** backpack..... this things are comfort items, or things to include if one gets into more in-depth camping.

The important things are to be safe, have fun, and make great memories.
                          Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by Stobber View Post
                            One of our must haves is a pudgie pie maker(sandwich iron). As a kid, that was the highlight of the trip. Smores are a must, but pudgie pies were the best. Fruit, pizza, grilled cheese, you name it, we made it. Super fast, easy, and a cinch to clean up.

I have been camping my whole life, but when I moved out and had to get my own gear it helped me to just imagine all of the tasks and things you would do in a day. You would be amazed the ideas that pop into your head. Start at the bottom with the basics, and work your way up through the comforts.
                            We take the Coleman brand Pie Iron along as it seems to be the best quality of the varieties out there. We actually use this to house the s'more, placing the toasted marshmallow inside with the Hershey's square between graham crackers. This bakes the s'more so that the chocolate is totally melted inside...
                            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

If your like me, you like to be able to see and to do that well, I mean with quality, then your best bet is to get is a good LED headlamp which also acts like a pocket light. The models that come to mind are, Zebralight and ArmyTek. These lights, while not cheap Walmart lanterns, are incredibly bright and use rechargeable lithium batteries. An Xtar MC1 charger (around 5-10$) is a USB style charger that will work well in any USB port including most of the portable solar panel chargers. The beauty of this approach is that your going to get around 10-20x the amount of light out of these lights when compared to even the brightest lights at walmart. Most of these lights range in the 250-1000 lumen category and are waterproof and meant to last for years.

Comment

Working...
                              X