acrylic spray paint for waterproofing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acrylic spray paint for waterproofing

I was thinking about how badly my tent needs waterproofed (I'll never buy a cheapo again) and it got me wondering: can you use clear acryllic spray paint to waterproof a tent and/or gear?

Re: acrylic spray paint for waterproofing

Hi!

My first instinct is no, it would probably crack or peel, I could be wrong though. There is stuff for that, but I don't know the name.
    My Other Interest

Comment

That's a no! Read on EW:

When you buy a new tent the seams aren't sealed. If you use this tent without sealing the seams they will become wicks that allow water to seep into the tent. It doesn't have to rain for this to occur. Morning dew will have the same consequence. You can waterproof the tent seams very easily.

Buy a bottle of seam sealer for a few dollars at a sporting goods store.
      Set your tent up outdoors on a dry sunny day.

The seam sealer comes in a bottle with an applicator top. Shake the bottle, open the cap, and apply seam sealer to all threads (inside and out) while the tent is erected.

Allow the sealer to dry for a few hours.
      Repeat the application, and allow the seams to dry thoroughly.
      Don't forget to also seal the seams on your rain fly. Inside & out!

This process accomplishes two tasks. Not only does it help to waterproof your tent, but it gives you a chance to learn how to set it up. Never go camping with a new tent that has not been seam sealed, and which you have not practiced setting up. If you tent camp a lot, it's a good idea to reseal the seams every year.

Quality tents come with seams that are factory taped, which is not the same as sealed. Taped seams have a waterproof material placed between overlapped seams, which are then double stitched. This sewing technique adds to the strength of the seam and helps eliminate any gaps when the tent is stretched. These seams will be more water-resistant than normal seams, but they are not water-proof. The seams should still be sealed to ensure the best water-proof protection. Just trying to be helpful here.

Just because you read the directions for setting up your new tent doesn't mean you have to do that way every time. Every-time police aren't real. And the more a person sets up their tent the more you will fine tune your own procedure. It's easier setting up a tent with two people, but if there is only one person to set up a big tent...don't fret, just set it up a little bit at a time. Most sections come in threes, just set up one section at a time. First on one side of the tent then the other. Sure it may take a little longer, but just make sure when you set it up you're away from any appointments to see your investor, your preacher or anyone else you can think of. Camping is an enjoyable pastime. Enjoy it. When life ends then it's too late to enjoy it. Remember every campout is practice for the next one.

Leaking Seams: Use Canvak or a tent seam sealer to stop leaking seams or purchase a fly. Walmart has good goop too. Seal inside and out and allow the tent to dry completely before storing. Seam sealing should be done once a year.

Set up Location: Be aware of which trees emit resins and avoid setting up your tent under these types of trees.

I recommend: Coghlan's 703 Tent Seam Sealer Repair Kit and you can get it here:
      http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/Pro...aspx?SKU=84949
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Check this site out, this stuff really works.
        Source(s):

http://www.hellerglanz.com/Fabric_WaterProofer.htm
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I understand your desire to be a cheap-0 (as you put it).

The other posts are correct that paint is not the way to go. That will be the end of your tent.

HOWEVER, There is a cheap-0 way to waterproof your tent very well.

Mix clear silicon caulk in mineral spirits (not gasoline). You will have to mix it well using a mixing blender that goes on the end of a hand drill. About one tube of silicon in two gallons of mineral spirits should be enough for most tents.

Soak the tent in the solution until it is thoroughly saturated. Then, set up the tent and let it dry.

The tent might have a little more sheen to it than before, but it will be waterproof and it is cheap-0.

Soak

Comment

Well since the OP posted this thread on 07-10-2011, 16 months ago, I would hope he figured it out by now.......
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Hogsnapper: Good advise on only waterproofing the fly and not the tent. also good idea about not setting up the tent to dry with the poles inside sleeves. When I did it the tent I waterproofed did not have sleeves or a tarp. It was an old single walled nylon tent.

Hogsnapper, the advice about not using a drill for mixing is something I had not thought about, but it is good advice. I didn't have any fires or explosions from using a hand drill, but in retrospect, I was probably lucky. I did have a long handle on the mixer (about 3 feet long), so that might have helped. Maybe mineral spirits are less explosive than gasoline? I don't like using gasoline as a solvent due to the odors and its explosive nature.

Comment

To those who have tried the home made solution; Does the solvent leave an odour when dry?

Comment

This thread is a one-way trip to Crazytown, USA. Flys are waterproof and seam-sealed, the waterproof coatings they use are integral to the fabric, made at a factory and cannot be simply sprayed on with the same results. You will get a waterproof coating with a fabric-specific formula, but because it's a coating and not part of the fabric it will delaminate due to UV exposure, but you can enjoy the little snowstorm as it comes off...
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I like Crazytown. It's fun and exciting there.

Comment

Working...
                    X