Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coleman Fold n Go vs. a traditional Coleman stove: Read to see which one wins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coleman Fold n Go vs. a traditional Coleman stove: Read to see which one wins!

Recently our old stove died, and we bought a Coleman Fold n Go propane stove half price at an LL Bean outlet. My mom then bought us a traditional Coleman propane stove from Walmart. Nothing fancy, just a traditional, green, matchlight stove. I was so torn...I had a spiffy new stove we'd bought, but Mom knows I love camping and thought it was time for us to have a real Coleman stove, since our old generic one had failed. I previously tried the Fold n Go, but decided to put it head-to-head with the traditional stove outdoors in the back yard. It was a cool evening, around 60 degrees, with a very, very slight breeze. My previous attempt with the Fold n Go was in the garage.

I used my Revereware saucepan (2 quart size, I believe) with a lid and 4 cups of water (1 quart). I tried it on the traditional stove first. The water boiled in 6 minutes with a medium flame. I was impressed. Next I used the same pot with fresh cold water on the Fold n Go. The Fold n Go has no windscreen, and I used it just as designed. It took 17 minutes to boil the quart of water with a medium flame. I was not impressed at all! Finally, I tried the Fold n Go again with a windscreen made from aluminum foil, since I always have foil in my camping gear. Due to the shape (similar to the number 8, sideways) it was tough to get the foil to stay and the regulator was kind of in the way. It took 10 minutes with a medium flame to boil the water that time.

In all, I feel the traditional stove outperforms the Fold n Go. The Fold n Go is a clever design, but with no windscreen and the pot rack so high above the flame, it will take much longer to cook things or you'll have to have the flame full blast, which will use more propane. The traditional stove will keep the water boiling at a fairly low flame and even on the lowest flame before it goes out the water was merrily simmering.

If space is truly an issue, the Fold n Go might be the right choice. While I like that it's so compact, I dislike that I have to jury rig a windscreen for it to function somewhat efficiently. So, the Fold n Go will be returned or sold, and the green Coleman stove will take its place of honor in my camping box!

Re: Coleman Fold n Go vs. a traditional Coleman stove: Read to see which one wins!

thank you!
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Re: Coleman Fold n Go vs. a traditional Coleman stove: Read to see which one wins!

Nice well written comparison. Thanks for sharing ET!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

It's my understanding that liquid fuel burns hotter than propane. Thanks for the comparison.

Comment

well done will the traditional stove take a bulk tank

Comment

I agree with RDF, good review E-Teacher. Another idea from the folks at Coleman that doesn't delilver, like their Road Trip grills. The smaller BTU-rated burners and lack of a windscreen suggested to me that while nice and compact, this wouldn't cut it in the campsite.
            Demonslayer, any propane appliance that takes a standard 1-lb. bottle fitting will adapt to bulk tank use with the adapter hose, available at most camping stores.
            Last edited by tplife; 07-21-2011, 10:31 AM.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by frank6160 View Post
              It's my understanding that liquid fuel burns hotter than propane.
              The comparison was between two propane stoves.

Originally posted by EnglishTeacha View Post
              My mom then bought us a traditional Coleman propane stove from Walmart.
              Thank you for sharing! One other item I have noticed in newer stove models, not just Coleman's, is the reduced flame control and the inability to simply simmer water. The marketing geniuses push BTUs/burner as the selling point; figuring the average camper only wants to boil water to make their dehydrated food. Very few stoves provide enough flame control to allow the cook to even cook over a medium flame. It’s 10,000BTU or nothing.
              Beau

Gourmet Cooking * Travel * 4WD

Comment

In addition to my old-school white gas Coleman stove, I have a flat compact two-burner Coleman Propane stove that works well for campinf if space is at a premium.
                Problem is, like you said- difficult to simmer. I was trying one year to use it to simply keep a tray of cooked eggs and bacon warm during a large campout. Either the flame would go out of be too hot!
                Good little stove for cooking, but it does have it's limitations.
                Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
                X