Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of fire and how big for how long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of fire and how big for how long?

Howdy,

Here's a question concerning campfires. We all love them, love to make them and love to watch them. It gives us heat for the body and comfort for soul. Do you take lumber with you when you go camping? Do buy soft wood from a dealer or do you get a permit and cut it yourself? Do you buy fake pressed logs from a retail store(Wal-Mart)? Do you buy cull lumber from a lumberyard?
    Every weekend this month I've been out camping and kayaking(including this weekend) leaving tomorrow for another over-nighter. And we always take some lumber for a small fire and it can be a mix of everything I just asked. But what does everyone else do? Then how big do you make your fire? And for how long?

You know I saw one man camping this summer and he was solo and he had nine garbage cans full of soft wood and every night he had the biggest one man bonfire that I ever seen a solo camper do.
    Huge (Can be seen for miles)
    0.00%
    Big (To scare away the boogy man)
    20.00%
    Medium (To cook & enjoy with friends)
    80.00%
    Small (Romantic Intentions suggested)
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

It really depends on the circumstances - who I'm with, how many of us, what the fire is needed for.
    Generally, if I am camping alone - NO fire.
    If I'm with a buddy or three - we'll have a small to medium fire to BS around. But we turn in fairly early.
    In a big meet, we'll have a bonfire with seats (cut off logs usually) and keep it going well into the night.
    I haven't camped in snow country (yet!), so the warmth isn't generally a factor. Just comradery. :cool:
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Camping Fire

Howdy Bigdog,

Thanks for voting and chipping in your allowance! Voting can be fun!

Comment

my favorite is always to start with a medium and after the 'smores and whatever and the grandkids ,if they are present , go to bed it becomes a small intentional fire and the world is just fine when it is just embers and glowing...

Oh well my intentions are good but sometimes the smoke gets in your eyes :o
        2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
        2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
        I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

How big a fire

Howdy John,

Just read your comments to the fire idea. Thanks for posting!! Sharing ideas about camping in general is a fine comfort for everyone! And every once in a while smoke does get into your eyes! A famous song, no doubt!

Comment

Working...
          X