Got Winter Camping Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Winter Camping Tips?

Every year 'bout this time we begin chattin' "Got Winter Camping Tips?" Well, if ya got some good info, would be swell to hear from ya. Post 'em up! What yer waitin fer?

Cold Kills: Exposure & Exhaustion
    EXPOSURE AND EXHAUSTION
    The moment your body begins to lose heat faster than it produces it, you are undergoing exposure. Two things happen:

You voluntarily exercise to stay warm.
    Your body makes involuntary adjustments to preserve normal temperature in the vital organs, and you start shivering.
    Either response drains your energy reserves. The only way to stop the drain is to reduce the degree of exposure.

THE TIME TO PREVENT HYPOTHERMIA IS DURING THE PERIOD OF EXPOSURE AND GRADUAL EXHAUSTION

HYPOTHERMIA
    If exposure continues until your energy reserves are exhausted:
    Cold reaches the brain depriving you of good judgement and reasoning power. You will not realize this is happening.
    You will lose control of your hands.
    This is hypothermia. Your internal temperature is sliding downward. Without treatment, this slide leads to stupor, collapse, and death.
    AVOID EXPOSURE

STAY DRY. When clothes get wet, they lose about ninety percent of their insulating value. Wool loses less as does many of the new synthetics. Cotton and wet down are worthless.

BEWARE OF THE WIND. A slight breeze carries heat away from bare skin much faster than still air. Wind drives cold air under and through clothing. Wind refrigerates wet clothes by evaporating moisture from the surface. WIND MULTIPLIES THE PROBLEMS OF STAYING DRY. If you have been in the water and you are wearing a T-shirt that is wet remove it and you will retain more heat. Direct sunlight on the skin helps in the warming process.

UNDERSTANDING COLD. Most hypothermia cases develop in air temperatures between 30 and 50 degrees. Most outdoor enthusiast simply can't believe such temperatures can be dangerous. They fatally underestimate the danger of being wet at such temperatures. Fifty degree water is unbearably cold. The cold that kills is cold water running down your neck and legs, and cold water removing body heat from the surface of your clothes.

TERMINATE EXPOSURE

If you can not stay dry and warm under existing weather conditions, using the clothes you have with you, do whatever is necessary to be less exposed.
    BE SMART ENOUGH TO GIVE UP REACHING THE PEAK, OR WHATEVER YOU HAD IN MIND.

Get out of the wind and rain. Build a fire. Concentrate on making your camp or bivouac as secure and comfortable as possible.

NEVER IGNORE SHIVERING

Persistent or violent shivering is a clear warning that you are on the verge of hypothermia. MAKE CAMP OR GET BACK TO YOUR VEHICLE.

BEWARE OF EXHAUSTION

Make camp while you still have a reserve of energy. Allow for the fact that exposure greatly reduces your normal endurance. You may think you are doing fine when the fact that you are exercising is the only thing preventing your going into hypothermia. If exhaustion forces you to stop, however brief:
    Your rate of body heat production instantly drops by fifty percent or more.
    Violent, incapacitating shivering may begin immediately.

You may slip into hypothermia in a matter of minutes.

APPOINT A LEADER

Make the best protected and experienced member of your party responsible for calling a halt before the least protected member becomes exhausted or goes into violent shivering.

DETECT HYPOTHERMIA

If your group is exposed to WIND, COLD, OR WET, think hypothermia. Watch yourself and others for the symptoms:
    Uncontrollable fits of shivering.
    Vague, slow, slurred speech.
    Memory lapses, or incoherence.
    Immobile, fumbling hands.
    Frequent stumbling.
    Drowsiness (to sleep is to die.)
    Apparent exhaustion. Inability to get up after a rest.

TREATMENT

The victim may deny he/she is in trouble. Believe the symptoms, not the person. Even mild symptoms demand immediate treatment.
    Get the victim out of the wind and rain.
    Strip off all wet clothes.
    If the victim is only mildly impaired:
    Give him/her warm drinks. (only small amounts)
    Get him/her into dry clothes and a warm dry sleeping bag. Well-wrapped warm (not hot) rocks or canteens placed in the crotch and under the arms anywhere the main arteries are close to the surface of the skin, will hasten recovery.

If the patient is semi-conscious or worse:

Try to keep him/her awake. (Do not give hot liquids by mouth.)
    Leave him/her stripped. Put him/her in a sleeping bag with another person (also stripped) to transfer heat. If you can put the victim between two donors, skin to skin contact is very effective treatment.

Build a fire to warm canteens and rocks for warming the victim.
    Transport the victim as soon as possible to the closest hospital for monitoring. It takes a very long time to warm the inner core and only a rectal hypothermia thermometer is long enough to find out what the inner core temperature really is. DON'T DELAY!

Have a safe and enjoyable winter!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: Got Winter Camping Tips?

I had to quickly recall what I learned last year about winter camping, as temps unexpectedly dipped down to 30 degrees this weekend while I was camping. All of RDF's are life-preserving. Mine are somewhat more comfort-related:
    • Always eat a big dinner; a warm one. It's the digestion of your meal that will generate body heat & help keep you warm during the night.
    • Sleep with a warm cap on, and gloves. Keeping your extremities warm is important.
    • Ditto on conserving energy - don't do as much activity during the day as you would in summer. You def need reserve energy to set up camp in the cold.
    • Everything takes more time to do in the cold - your body just naturally moves slower. So plan & allow extra time for all your activities.
    • In the evening, take "tomorrow's" clothes into the tent with you, so you can dress in the morning while you're still in your tent & warm.
    • Don't forget that winter camping means there is a lot less daylight. Plan ahead so you can set up camp & eat while there are still daylight hours.
    • Take time to enjoy it! The stillness of the outdoors and the clarity of the night sky is amazing.

What I don't have a tip for, and would love to hear one: no matter how warmly dressed you are, crawling out of the tent for the 1st time on a cold morning & starting coffee & breakfast is brutal.
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I always keep yourself hydrated by drinking lots of water. I don't know if it's just me, but I seem to feel more easily dehydrated during the winter time. Conserving your energy and sleeping with a lot of warm clothing is also important. If you're tent camping, make sure to put an extra tarp underneath your sleeping bag/mattress and one above your tent. The one above will protect your from the heavy snowfall. The tarp underneath will help you keep warm

Comment

Originally posted by lizrfoust View Post
        If you're tent camping, make sure to put an extra tarp underneath your sleeping bag/mattress
        Is that inside your tent under your bag/mattress; or outside, ie. under the tent?
        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Consume more calories, as your body works harder to do the same amount of work than it does in the warmer months.
          Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
            Is that inside your tent under your bag/mattress; or outside, ie. under the tent?
            I put the tarp inside the tent, underneath my mattress.

Comment

I believe the tarp will only insulate you if there is dead air space between layers. There are lots of better alternatives.
              Please, somebody, anybody, help my Chicago Bears.

Comment

I have a small single candle lantern I hang in my tent, (Not recommended to have an open flame inside a tent) it tends to kept the condensation down, provides alil light, and adds a few degrees of warmth..
                -Not that it really makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by lizrfoust View Post
                  I put the tarp inside the tent, underneath my mattress.
                  Tarps under the tent are important too. Tarps help keep your tent from freezing to the snow/ice. Theoretically you have good insulation with your sleeping bag and pad, but in reality you body heat warms up the snow under you and the tent floor sticks to the bottom of the tent or the tarp under it.

It is a lot easier on tent if you bang the ice chunks off of a tarp than off of the tent.

Comment

After reading Hogsnappers post about how organized he is and how he preps before going to bed, I want him to come on my winter camping trips!

Hey, another thing is to make sure that you have an emergency kit with you at all times. For example, if you set up camp, then go for a ski run without your gear, make sure you have at least the essentials to survive. This can turn into a long list until it finally turns into your entire camp kit, but these are the basics I always carry:
                    • Matches
                    • Swiss Army knife
                    • Metal cup for melting snow
                    • Compass
                    • Emergency blanket - one of those metalized film sheets that is the size of about 2 ounces of cheese and cost about a buck.
                    • Map
                    That is my personal kit, but others might add:
                    • Cell Phone
                    • GPS
                    • spare food,
                    • and on and on.....
                    I got caught in a blizzard with my friend once when going on a day trip in the Sierra Mountains. The snow buried our tracks and we could not find the pass to get back to camp, so we had to spend the night out on the mountain in a blizzard without our gear.

The thing that really saved us was keeping a cool head and having survival skills. We emptied our pockets and made an assesment of what we had. Matches, an empty tuna can for melting snow, some ski wax for fire starter, and the Swiss Army Knife are the tools that really saved us.

The map, comp**** and some powerful mountaineering skills got us back home the next day.

Comment

on staying warm and the tarp under the pad...I aways just added a wool blanket or two by laying the blanket on the pad, then the bag, crawl in bag, pull blanket over the bag and zip. That along with warmed dry socks and beanie and I was toasty. That assumes the bag your bag is a reasonable choice for the conditions. I would not try it with a 55 degree bag in sub freezing weather and expect to be warm, safe maybe not warm.

Comment

There are a lot of great tips from all of you and I just wanted to say thanks you.

I car camp and use a good wood burning stove in my tent that was made to do so. This keeps me warm when I am not out in the weather.

Comment

Working...
                        X