Propane campfire rings/pits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane campfire rings/pits

I am starting to look around for propane fueled campfire rings/pits for when we are under a fire ban. Our bans allow the use of propane appliances. So there are no hot embers blowing around. Does anyone have any experience with them. The basic needs of a my campfire is roasting marshmallows, and ambience. I can use propane appliances to cook when we are under a ban. I have looked at the camp chef fire ring, the little red campfire and camp fire in a can. It looks like the little red has the best cost to preformance ratio.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Little red porrable campfire.
    http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...campfire/34763

camp fire in a can
    http://www.campfireinacan.com

Re: Propane campfire rings/pits

No experience with either. Tho I've looked at [online] the portable campfire. I had never seen the "campfire in a can" before. They need some marketing help .... referencing "a can" implies low cost, homemade whereas $279 before accessories is a bit pricey for a can.
    I'll be interested in hearing what others say about these; I'm considering the portable campfire.
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

the camp chef fire ring has a BTU of 60,000, can is 64,000, lil red is 18,200.

Comment

First time I have heard of this concept! It would come in handy though, as it has been very dry here in north Florida too - I have seen lakes and creeks dry here that have NEVER been dry in my 54 years! Fire Bans have become common here abouts.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
          No experience with either. Tho I've looked at [online] the portable campfire. I had never seen the "campfire in a can" before. They need some marketing help .... referencing "a can" implies low cost, homemade whereas $279 before accessories is a bit pricey for a can.
          I'll be interested in hearing what others say about these; I'm considering the portable campfire.
          That was my thought as well

Comment

We have one in our backyard and we just use to relax by when they weather is nicer. Never thought of ever trying to cook with it! It's just for grins and giggles!
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
              We have one in our backyard and we just use to relax by when they weather is nicer. Never thought of ever trying to cook with it! It's just for grins and giggles!
              Is there any ambient heat?

Comment

Not really. Here a snap.

Last edited by renodesertfox; 12-20-2011, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Here's another pic of the propane fire pit from when I lived in Las Vegas. It's a couple of years old but the firepit is used mostly for show.

Comment

Boy, I am stoked. I picked up a camp chef fire ring, and it rocks!!! It will serve it's purpose well. We roasted marshmallow's and it is 28 degrees outside!!! I wouldn't want to depend on this fire for heat or to cook, but for ambience and smores it will serve it's purpose just fine. I think it will also do popcorn in a dutch oven popcorn popper. Great little way to get around the burn ban.
                    The best part is I found it NIB on Craigslist for $50!!! I will post the pics that I took later, I have to go make supper.
                    http://www.campchef.com/gas-fire-ring.html

Here is a link to some photo's
                    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=73d5a6e9be
                    Last edited by shawnbebout; 12-20-2011, 07:17 PM. Reason: added pic link

Comment

Thank you for the update!

Comment

Looks really nice Shawn! How is it for transporting to a campsite? What's it's total weight? That would nice to have when there are wood fire restrictions. Do you think you'll take it camping? Merry Christmas to you!

Comment

RDF,
                          Its purpose will be to have a camp fire while we are under a burn ban. It really sucks camping without a camp fire. You can't sit around the fire and b.s. or make smores. Smores is pretty high on my daughters list of camping favorites. I may get a planter from home depot and make a fire pit at the house for non-camping times, but it's primary goal is for camp fires during burn bans.
                          It wieghs between 15-20 pounds, and is about 19" wide. It came with a carrying bag, so that will help with transport. Since I car camp, this is not an issue. In one photo, you can see a grill propane bottle, and off to the left is a silver thing, that is a reg charcoal starting can. You can scale it off those things.

What is stupid (IMHO) is that our burn bans
                          1)excludes designated campgrounds. So if I was in a campground, I would be fine. I guess because a forest fire will respect the boundries of a designated campground and not leave the property.
                          2)excludes property owners. The last 3 major fires here in CO have been started by either a home owner burning trash, or a Forest Ranger burning love letters from a former lover.
                          The bans state that propane appliances are allowed, so I guess I will have to print off a copy of the ban. That way when the sheriff dept shows up I can argue with them.
                          Last edited by shawnbebout; 12-21-2011, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Shawn, thanks for the info. Good luck arguing with the law, may end up with a larger fine or one's caboose in the caboose! But I'm on your side! Will probably get one after our move to the state next door to you, soon! Got too much on my plate right now! But your info is right on time! Lookin forward to seeing photos of it at your next camp! That'll be fun! Thanks! Merry Christmas!

Comment

We have the little red portable campfire and love it! The heat accumulates better when you set it up under your awning...and is great when there is a shortage of affordable wood available or when it is really wet out. Check out www.thecomfycamper.com 's home page for prices and reviews...not that expensive. When we use our RV we hook it up to the motorhome's propane tank..quick and available. Otherwise you need a propane bottle.

Comment

Working...
                              X