Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cabela's & REI outlet first time impressions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabela's & REI outlet first time impressions....

After kicking around the idea for awhile, I got in my car and made the 90 minute drive from San Antonio to Austin to the REI outlet. Great selection, good layout & helpful staff. Prices weren't too bad. This was the store off Capitol of TX highway, I'll visit the second Austin REI store on Lamar BLVD another time.

Next was Cabela's, which was 15 miles S of Austin in Buda off IH-35. I'd noticed it completely by accident on the drive up and upon seeing the sign "world's largest outfitter" that did it.
    My first impression upon walking in was "this is identical to Bass Pro!!!" But after a closer look, liked Cabela's more than Bass Pro Shops.

Fantastic camping section, the best I've seen Anywhere. Tents of all sizes and brands (compared with REI) and competitive. I was dying of hunger and left after 10 minutes but will make every effort to go back soon.
    I'm looking to purchase a Eureka Tetragon 1210 and they had one listed at $239,compared to Dick's Sporting goods that had it at $159.
    My two observations of top-notch outdoor centers.

Re: Cabela's & REI outlet first time impressions....

Generally, REI has very knowledgeable staff about backpacking, camping, climbing, biking, and an urban kind of crunchy-granola take on those activities. They try to be very "green." You will get better gear recommendations and gear fitting at REI than Cabelas (as a general rule).

Cableas would absolutely be geared towards the hunter and fisherman. Their staff would be far more knowledgeable about those activities. They are not very crunchy-granola. Any Cabelas I am aware of has a restaurant inside so see if yours has one next time you go. I find my Cabelas to be much much larger than my Bass Pro, and the employees are friendlier, too.
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

If I ever find myself in Buda TX, I'll drop in there and look around. I have a host of places around town here to choose from though. REI, Academy, Bass pro, Gander Mountain, Whole Earth Provision Co, Sun and Ski sports, and some others that I can't even remember.

One thing about REI is that is not a regular store, it's a CO-OP, so their gear may not always be the cheapest, but they try to have some of the best stuff they can for a decent price. Most of the camping stuff there is geared towards backpacking where more of the other stores are geared towards car camping.
      Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Shadow - Yes, geared more towards backpacking indeed. Great selections of backpacks, and backpacking tents. They also had a good selection of camping/outdoor related books & magazines I havn't seen in other stores.

Comment

The cool thing is I recently went to the Houston REI and found out they hired my deaf friend.

Comment

Road trip to an outfitter! Sounds fun! I have two REI's, each within about 50 miles. Bass Pro Shops is about 30 miles away. I go to those because that's all I have.

The nearest Cabela's is in Pennsylvania, a little over 100 miles away - I could do that one day. (Too late to get started today.)
            Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

And I'm stuck way out here.... I would like to take a road trip to REI or Cabellas but will take me about 6-7 hours to get there. Will have to look and see what we have up in Lubbock. Maybe they have one.

WT
              "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Originally posted by West Texan View Post
                And I'm stuck way out here.... I would like to take a road trip to REI or Cabellas but will take me about 6-7 hours to get there.

WT
                There is also amazon.com. I my friend who I am going to go backpacking with got most of her stuff on there.

Comment

I am quite lucky here because we have a place called The Arizona Hiking Shack and those guys are pretty hard core. They offer repair of equipment, equipment rentals, fantastic customer service, and great stories to share. They carry a great deal of climbing gear and have the expertise to get you what you need on the first try.

They will spend as much time as needed to fit your backpack and boots. They carry true mountaineering/alpine gear. How many places do you know that regularly stock eight or nine different bags from Western Mountaineering? They also partner with some outstanding schools to offer everything from basic first aid to super-technical alpine rescue.

I really love that place and wish I could work there. Oh well.
                  Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasMan77 View Post
                    After kicking around the idea for awhile, I got in my car and made the 90 minute drive from San Antonio to Austin to the REI outlet. Great selection, good layout & helpful staff. Prices weren't too bad. This was the store off Capitol of TX highway, I'll visit the second Austin REI store on Lamar BLVD another time.

Next was Cabela's, which was 15 miles S of Austin in Buda off IH-35. I'd noticed it completely by accident on the drive up and upon seeing the sign "world's largest outfitter" that did it.
                    My first impression upon walking in was "this is identical to Bass Pro!!!" But after a closer look, liked Cabela's more than Bass Pro Shops.

Fantastic camping section, the best I've seen Anywhere. Tents of all sizes and brands (compared with REI) and competitive. I was dying of hunger and left after 10 minutes but will make every effort to go back soon.
                    I'm looking to purchase a Eureka Tetragon 1210 and they had one listed at $239,compared to Dick's Sporting goods that had it at $159.
                    My two observations of top-notch outdoor centers.
                    That's awesome... I really wish I could get back out to Texas that place is so awesome.

The people are friendly and everything is clean!!

Just from what I saw at least.

Anyways cheers.

Comment

I think immortal ben did a fine job of pointing out the differences between Cabela's and REI. Great assist from Shadow with the coop aspect.
                      An REI just opened w/i.10 miles from me and I really enjoy the ability to run in and chew the fat w/ sales reps or just absorb in silence.
                      The nearest Cabela's to me is a bit of a trek but although the camping staff doesn't seem quite as knowledgeable as REI (can't speak on the hunting gear)'s, they are also quite pleasant.

Let's see how I can put this....Cabela's is great for coolers but my next tent is coming from REI.

Have fun whichever one ya go to and enjoy the alligator hash at Cabela's :D.
                      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                      X