Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Age to start teaching kids on wilderness survival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age to start teaching kids on wilderness survival?

Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this was already discussed in this forum. My apologies in advance if it was.

I've recently been camping with my kids (the eldest is 9 and the youngest is 5) and it just popped in my mind to start teaching them some basic survival techniques. I'm just concerned that they might be a little bit too young to understand them and apply them. If they are too young, how old would you recommend that I should begin teaching them some survival stuff? Also, which ones should I start with in addition to making a fire and shelter?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Age to start teaching kids on wilderness survival?

Cubscouts, which start at 1st grade learn: how to start a fire, cook their own food, boil water, whittling, using a compas(sp), what to do if lost (carry a whistle), archery, shooting.

-JT
    Last edited by Johnny Test; 02-08-2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I just work some of it into my camping trips. I have already taught my daughter how to use a whistle when lost. I started last year when she was 4. I will continue to teach as they need it. I think boy scout/girl scout guide lines souls be a good reference. Also it depends on the maturity level of the kid.

Comment

Thanks for the input! I forgot to mention that we initially got them into camping using our Motorhome. This summer I'm planning to take them to a few tent camping trips just to get them into the whole survival thing and experience the kind of camping my wife and I used to do before they came along, which is why I suddenly got thinking about teaching them the basic survival stuff. My daughter (the eldest) will also be joining the girl scouts this summer so I'm really excited about that. I'll definitely add your suggestions on my list of things to teach them as well.

Comment

Even 4 year olds can be taught to stay put and blow a whistle when they are lost. I would say that the best age to start teaching wilderness survival would be as soon as they can understand this basic lesson. depending on the chid this could be earlier than 4 years old.Make a game of it and you'll be surprised at how young they can learn.

Comment

All good answers.
            Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

A child can learn the mechanics of a technique long before they will be able to understand the proper time and place to apply the technique.

Then you get the joy of watching it "click" later when they realize how smart you are to have taught them something useful, and how smart they are for knowing something cool.

I say teach em as soon as they can learn the mechanics. Hikenhunter is right, kids will learn darn near anything if it is a game.
              Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

I think it's important to start teaching them as soon as you take them camping or hiking. You never know when you might get separated or maybe the adult gets injured. In my experience, the hardest thing to get through a childs head (and even an adults!) is to STAY PUT! It seems to be an instinct to keep moving, or maybe you think "The trail/road/river is just over that hill..." and then you're more lost than before.
                My Other Interest

Comment

That's pretty much what basically got me thinking on the whole survival teaching thing. Pretty much don't have any problems with my eldest and middle child. But my 5 year old seems to have quite a short attention span. The game thing sounds like that might just do the trick for him. Any suggestions where I can look? Or perhaps you guys can suggest some games?

Comment

Another thing is over om the bushcraft USA forums, they have a self paces basic bushcraft cl**** they can watch the videos with you and watch or help while you do the exercises.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27539
                    Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Thanks for the tip, HogSnapper and Shadow. I guess that's probably the reason why my 5 year old's got a really short attention span. Lots of things going around that interests him. Hopefully, he gets to sit down long enough to finish watching one of them. So far, cartoons are the only things that keep his attention on the TV. Hahaha!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X