Sleeping in your car - ventilation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping in your car - ventilation?

If you end up sleeping in your car while camping - do you need to crack open a window for ventilation? or do you keep all the windows closed? (referring to cold weather and/or severe thunderstorms).
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Re: Sleeping in your car - ventilation?

The car is not air tight. You will not suffocate. If the air gets a little funky due to a diet of beans and cabbage, then crack a window.
    Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Shadow is correct, especially about the funk.
      Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

If it's cold outside and you find yourself trying to sleep in your car and you've turned your engine on to run the heater or visa versa and it's hot so on goes the air-conditioner it is always good advice to crack your windows a wee bit in case of Carbon Monoxide poisoning(the silent killer)! Carbon Monoxide can and seep into the interior of any vehicle due to the fact that the under-carriage of most cars isn't completely airtight.
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I think I've got it -
          • Engine off - it's ok to leave the windows closed
          • Engine on - you need a bit of ventilation

Thank you everyone! I've been puzzled over that one for awhile.

Comment

If it's a warm night, I'd open the window just a little bit to for some bit of air. But if it's a cold night, leave the windows closed.

Comment

Camping in my 2005 Grand Caravan, I found that it has many vents in the back - I could feel cooler air sneaking in during the cool night. A small electric heater fan kept me comfy - 68 degrees average in the van with low 20's outside. Never felt stuffy.
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

BigDog & Troy - thank you for the additional tips!

Comment

I suppose I could say what I do when I end up sleeping in my Excursion. I open the vent windows in the back no matter how cold it is outside. When temps are warm I am likely to crack every window. But I am odd and hardly ever recommend people do what I do.
                  Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Our main consideration is that modern vehicles are well ventilated, air wise, but we must give more care if we use the engine or a gas-fueled device in the vehicle - CO is not something to risk our lives with!
                    Even some homebuilt TT's have had problems, being TOO airtight!

Helps us appreciate out tents, eh? :cool:
                    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I agree with you Bigdog. That's why I always have a tent in the compartment of my car. Never know when I'll be needing it. It's gonna sure come in handy.

Comment

Working...
                      X