Camino de Santiago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camino de Santiago

I have a new long term goal for Backpacking…the Camino de Santiago in Spain. So you can see what I’m taliking about, check this out: Click Here and watch the video on youtube.

Edit: Here's a second video in English
    Last edited by busere; 02-21-2012, 01:15 PM. Reason: added a second link
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Re: Camino de Santiago

Looks like a good pilgrimage. I especially like how they mentions it is not about the destination, but the journey. That is exactly how I feel about backpacking.

On a side note, and I ask solely out of curiosity, are you wanting to do it for the religious aspect of the pilgrimage? I understand if you do not want to say yes or no.
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

There is a Martin Sheen movie called "The Way" out at Redbox now that is about him walking the Pilgrimage to honor is son's death.
      Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Ben, I would say that it is for religious reasons, but we’re not Catholic. We’re non-denominational Christians (I believe in relationship, not religion). However, for me, I’m really into Church history. We also plan on doing the Jesus Trail someday as well. That’s only 46 miles from Galilee to Capernaum.

Shadow, Yeap...seen it. It's what really sparked my wife into wanting to do it. It's a really good movie. I really wanted to do a large portion of the AT, however my wife was not in to the idea...and she's really wanted to goto Europe. The Camino was the compromise...and a very good one at that.

If anyone wants to prepare and join us, they’re welcome. I mean it is five years to prepare physically and financially.
        Last edited by busere; 02-21-2012, 06:09 PM. Reason: Formating

Comment

Awesome. I look forward to progress reports on the physical preparations.

Life is a verb.

Comment

We'll keep everyone informed. So, Ben...want to join-up on the trip? The greatest risk is to wager nothing at all.

Comment

HA! The trip sounds exceptionally interesting and looks to be something I would enjoy. However, I do not think I have ever planned anything out five years ahead of time except when I was plotting my military career.

Life is a verb.

Comment

True, five years is a long way off...that's understandable. However it gives time to plan and prepare without having to much strain on the rest of your life...financially mostly. The goal is to save-up for the trip and stay away from using credit all together. 45 days of meals, hostels and airfare is a lot to pay for, so it will be expensive. Also, in five years, the only bills my wife and I will have...the house payment and regular household bills (water, electricity and cable). The car and the truck will be paied off, no more credit card debt. It's all a part of the five year plan.

Comment

Cash is indeed king.

Life is a verb.

Comment

No, Jesus is King, we just happen to let cash rule over us.

Comment

busere, I can whole-heartedly agree with that statement. I should have specified that cash is the best way to handle finances.

Life is a verb.

Comment

LOL! No problem, Brother!

BTW, I was looking at the equipment the experts say you should bring. They say to bring a Maximum of a 50 Liter pack. To ensure you don't over pack. The reccomended gear list looks easy...I'll probably hav around a 19 pound pack for this trip...TOTAL weight...including food, water and clothing. However, I think I'm going to invest in trekking poles for this.
                        Last edited by busere; 02-22-2012, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I used to poo-poo trekking poles until I used them. Now I wouldn't think of leaving for a trip without mine.

A 50l pack is pretty small. I wonder how many people under pack water and over pack food on a trip like that.

Life is a verb.

Comment

For food, people normally pack a couple snacks and a small lunch for each day's hike (20km) to the next hostel. They also buy food each day at the supermarkets and fix their late meals at the hostel. As for the gear that's recommended...here'sthe list:

http://caminodesantiagoguide.org/wp-...-CheckList.pdf

For water...they recommend just one 1 Liter water bottle. I have a 3 Liter water bladder for my pack...and that's what I would plan on having. But, I'd probably only carry around 2 Liters.

Comment

Shoot, if resupply is that close I wouldn't carry much at all. No wonder the packs are that small. I have a buddy that always packs a ton of food and the last day he's trying to get people to eat it because he doesn't want to pack it back to the truck, hhahah. I have stopped accepting the food, muwhahahahha!

Life is a verb.

Comment

Working...
                              X