Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Stove Question?

Howdy,

Currently, I'm using a Charmglow, 2 burner stainless steel propane stove. The problem is that adjusting the rate of flow is almost impossible to control. And the grate above the burners never stays level and moves to one side or the other depending on how heavy the pot is that is cooking on it. I've used this stove for 10+ years and now am thinking of something better. Any ideas, anyone?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I use a low-end Coleman PerfectFlow 2-burner propane stove (model# 5466-700). It's nice and hot (11,000 BTU each) so it works well in the higher elevations, and it has a full-width grate that supports my coffee maker well. Like your stove, though, the controls are very touchy - it's difficult to get a low flame.

I looked at a 2-burner Century stove, too. It was real nice - the burners are a couple inches further apart than on the Coleman, but it seemed like it had a thinner metal housing - not quite as rugged as the Coleman.

Comment

I have the old Coleman Two-burner Dual Fuel stove, but rarely use it - I keep it mainly for Storm/Power Outage preps, and my annual MC meet here at a local campground - it's great for use with a griddle to do our pre-ride breakfasts!
      I also have a Coleman two-burner propane cartridge stove - much simpler and easier to operate, and flat & light-weight. I can carry it easier on the bike.
      Coleman fuel is getting silly/stupid in price! The dual fuel is nice, as I can use regular gasoline - needs cleaning more often though.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Camping Stove Question

Howdy,

I have been looking at Coleman Stoves and I checked out Scrib's model 5466-700. So now my question is now more precise. Can the flame adjustments be regulated for simmer heat, warming, etc. With the Flame-glow that I'm using the flame adjustments are not precise. If I try to turn the flame adjustment to simmer it usually just goes out. There is no control for low flame. So what I'm wondering, does anyone including Coleman make a camping stove with heat adjustments that are precise? I really don't want to keep making guesses as to which stove is better, and we all know money is tight. And a second question that has raised it's head is the price of Coleman propane small canisters. Here I can purchase two canisters at Wally-World(Wal-Mart) for about $2.50. Is that what you are getting in Georgia and Northern Calif? I'm also investigating the larger canisters(since I car camp) that are designed for trailers and RVs. So if you have any info that might help I'll be most appreciated. Thanks all!

Comment

It's real touchy, BC. You can get it down low, but you have to be real careful - probably just like your stove. Honestly, I've never seen any of these gas stoves work much different.

Regarding a big tank - I tried a setup like that, with an 11lb. tank and hose. I found that it worked great when the tank was full, but the pressure dropped-off as the tank emptied, and then the stove didn't work so good. I think the little 1lb. canisters must maintain a pretty consistent pressure, that these stoves like.

Comment

Yep, the smaller cannisters do seem more consistent. The tiny hiker's stove I like (Coleman Peak 1) lasts me a good weekend on one mini-cartridge. That cartridge doesn't fit my larger two-burner stove though - it uses a taller cartridge with larger thread style hookup. I haven't used it enough yet to get a good feel for it. I carry the wee Peak 1 on the bike roadtrips.

Comment

Camp Stove Question

Howdy Big Dog57,

Been Busy. Been hunting, middle Nevada, I got a 120lb doe dressed out. But I figured how to get around my camp stove dilemma. We are buying a new stove. Scrib will say that this isn't camping, hey to each there own. When it get here I'll upload a photo. It's called the Big Gas Grill by blue moose outdoor gear. Its too big for your bike but they do make good little ones for that.

The dang thing weighs 89 lbs. Cooking surface is 16 x 38". 3 burners, 30,000 BTU/hr. This way we'll be able to cook anything-anytime-anywhere!

We also picked up a fiberglass shell propane tank that you can see through so I don't have to pour warm water on the cool tank to see where the condensation is to see how much fuel I got. It is much lighter and takes less space for traveling by fricken jeep! Dang right! My camping is called progressive camping and I'm doing it in style. check out blue moose outdoor gear.com the only problem is they charge too much shipping. They are out of Utah. Wal-mart is where we are getting it from, ship to store is free!!

Comment

38" of grilling glory! Can't wait to see the pics, and hey, I'd be the last one to try to tell someone what is and what's not camping

Those new propane tanks are pretty cool.

Comment

Camping Stove Question

Howdy Scrib,

I was just refering to useless camping items...but my wife likes outdoor "camp" cooking a lot. Sure I do the easy part of grilling and she says that that is the hard part for her. The stove was shipped yesterday, it's coming from Florida. It will be fun roasting venison of her, during our Thanksgiving campout back to Temple Bar, AZ. The doe I got was 200 yards away, one clean shot and she dropped like a rock, no scope open site. Just thought, I'd share.

Comment

Cool! You can cook a nice chunk of venison it, for sure!
                    I rarely hunt anymore, as the area I used to hunt is all housing developments now! The National Forest is too full of Bubba's who are apt to 'shoot by sound' into a bush! Too dangerous. A buddy has a membership on some private land, so I may investigate that angle.
                    I'm getting back into reloading big time - factory ammo is just too danged steep! Did a bunch of .308 Win and .30-30 Win in the last few weeks.

Bob recently showed me his "secret fishing hole", and we are planning a camping/fishing weekend there soon. It's close enough for a quick ride, but is tucked into an area that is easy to get to, but hard to find! :D
                    I'm looking forward to it. Camping in the National Forest is technically against the law during hunting season - but if they can't find us, no harm... :rolleyes:

I went by Sportsman's Warehouse Wednesday, looking at the outdoor cooking stuff. Sadly, their big flat griddles are all aluminum! I had hoped to find one in cast iron, to use for our upcoming MC meet. Oh well, guess the lighter stuff will work.
                    They do have a good selection of other cast iron cookware though - pots, fry pans, cornbread pans, etc. I'll be upgrading my cookware real soon!

Comment

Camping stove quest

Hey Bigdog,

Check out http://absolutehome.com for cast iron griddle. That's where we got ours at. Ain't cheap. But iron ain't anyways. Also http://campchef.com is another place too. Flap-jacks and biscuits are good to mind as well as body.

Comment

Working...
                      X