Propane vs LED Lantern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane vs LED Lantern

In the market for a new lantern. Trying to decide between propane and LED.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Danke

Re: Propane vs LED Lantern

Both have their pros and cons. I currently am using Coleman LED lanterns, as they are clean and somewhat safer. Of course, it means using batteries, but they do last a good while.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I have one of each. I use my rechargeable inside the tent and use my propane outside.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I kinda do the same as KingQuad, depending on the type of trip. If I am on a trip where I only want to take one lantern, its usually the LED. In colder weather (like early spring and late fall) I would opt for the propane.

Comment

Both.................

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Test View Post
            Both.................
            Not an option. I just dropped a buncha cash on new hiking boots and a tent....

Comment

For LED, it's cleaner and safer. And I would not like to keep warm by using a propane in coul weather.
              I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Comment

Originally posted by arturo7 View Post
                In the market for a new lantern. Trying to decide between propane and LED.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Danke
                Like otheres have said, there are pros and cons to each. Just really what you decide in the end is worth it more.

Comment

I'd go with the LED lantern. It's much safer and they generate no heat and no fumes.

Comment

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a.../t-298706.html
                    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7004456AAeIKqD
                    DO NOT be found in a camping tents while being out. Just walk,run,fly in the hug of nature.:D

Comment

Just a thought for those suggesting LEDs are cleaner, those batteries that go in them require a lot of unclean production processes to make, and as of right now there is no way whatsoever to recycle or dispose of them safely. Recycling centers are just holding onto them in big leaky containers until someone discovers a safe method of disposal. Propane may be a fossil gas but it's on the balance a lower impact than batteries. Just my .02 =)

Comment

Originally posted by radioguy View Post
                        Just a thought for those suggesting LEDs are cleaner, those batteries that go in them require a lot of unclean production processes to make, and as of right now there is no way whatsoever to recycle or dispose of them safely. Recycling centers are just holding onto them in big leaky containers until someone discovers a safe method of disposal. Propane may be a fossil gas but it's on the balance a lower impact than batteries. Just my .02 =)
                        Thanks RadioGuy for your informative post - you have no idea what you're talking about. From now on I'll know your advice is strictly for laughs and shouldn't be considered anything else other than nonsense. All batteries are recycled and the processes involved include air particle scrubbers, water filtration to clean standards before discharge, and the reuse of most all of their materials. Your post has made an "impact" on my abdomen! :cool:

That said, LED lamps are sure nice vs. carbide for headlamps, but I'd need a trunkful of them to give the light output of my propane or white gas lanterns around my campsite...And I really don't have the room! :eek:
                        Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-17-2012, 08:32 PM.
                        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I guess it's true they don't teach manners in school anymore. Ya'll have a good'un!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery...#North_America

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1021/es062707c

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/inte...g-mexico/11146

As outdoors people we should be conscious of our impact on the environment not just in the places we tramp with our boots, but in the places that make and dispose of those boots and everything else as well. This sort of thing is highly relevant when making even a simple choice like propane or batteries. That just seems like common outdoors sense to this old boy but I guess it inspires some folks to rudeness, and that's their burden to bear

Comment

I picked up small LED for the tent and used it over the weekend. Worked great for the tent, but I didn't like the color of the light. I think that will tip the balance toward propane for the big one.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Comment

I am now using rechargeable batteries, so am no longer throwing expended batteries away. The cost savings is tremendous over time. So yeah..... in that way they ARE cleaner. But we all have our different ideas as to how 'clean' any form of energy usage is.
                              Some folks dislike carrying gas cannisters too, or having to use liquid fuel that can spill or leak.
                              We each take our own responsibility for whatever technology we use. I prefer the LED lanterns, so I use them. My personal choice.
                              I still have Coleman lanterns and propane lanterns - they are stocked away for SHTF day, along with their fuel.
                              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X