Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Propane vs LED Lantern

LED. Clean, safe, bright.

Cons - You can't use it to threaten would-be attackers with a lighter in the other hand (referencing my post in the "women shouldn't camp alone" thread :P), it doesn't have that soothing propane hiss. I can't be the only one that loves that sound right?

-Leo
    Tents | Sleeping Gear | Backpacks | Accessories

Comment

As I stated early, I use both. Propane for outside, and rechargeable for inside. Well, my rechargeable took a "bounce", so I am gonna be in the market for a rechargeable one soon. I do like the fact you can buy a D cell to AA adapter. That would work well as I can't stand to buy batteries.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
        As I stated early, I use both. Propane for outside, and rechargeable for inside. Well, my rechargeable took a "bounce", so I am gonna be in the market for a rechargeable one soon. I do like the fact you can buy a D cell to AA adapter. That would work well as I can't stand to buy batteries.
        Have a Costco around ya and a membership? You can get a monster pack of batteries for under $20. Kirkland brand. I still have some from the pack I bought over a year ago.

-Leo
        Tents | Sleeping Gear | Backpacks | Accessories

Comment

Rechargeable batteries are the only way to go! Maybe seem expensive up front, but once you recharge a few times, they are dirt cheap! Over the life of the batteries, they can cost a few pennies each.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

+2 on the rechargeable batteries, we use them on our stereo table desklamp to change discs/ipod setup and rarely need to do a recharge off the "house battery".
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I was a propane fan for years, until I got a Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme LED lantern. I got mine for $25 at Lowes, who no longer carries it, but have seen it on Amazon for the same price. I liked the first one so much I bought another and will get a third one soon. They are not as bright as propane (which is still the king of brightness, IMHO) but they last forever on 3 D batteries and are plenty bright.

I almost never use them with the globes, but instead hang them upside down from lines or poles or whatever is available. The light is great, they are easy to move around, and they are small and rugged. My favorite thing about them is the noise they make...none. It is so nice to sit around the campsite and hear nothing unnatural. No priming and pumping like the old white gas, no hissing like the propane. Plus no mantles or glass to worry about.

So, if you haven't figured it out, I'm an LED convert. I even upgraded one of the LEDs in a lantern to a Cree XM-L T6 to make it warmer and brighter but still last as long on the batteries. I use 2AA-D converters and switched to rechargeables, which last at least two full nights or more depending on usage.

I still have the propane lantern, but it hasn't seen service in the two years since I got the Rayovacs.

Comment

The Coleman LED's are the way to go. I got two and they work great ! They are the 4 D battery ones
                with a high and low switch. I think 40 hours run time on low.

Take care,
                Dwayne Oakes (Hello from Canada)
                http://dwayne-oakes.artistwebsites.com/

Comment

I never cared for propane...way too bright! It's like camping with a mercury vapor lamp! I use a small LED lantern hung from the peak of the tent for lighting the tent, a 4 cell incandescent lamp (are those getting harder to find now?) when I want a bit more light feel like a warmer toned light and a 2 bulb fluorescent on those rare instances when I need to light a large area (say, setting up camp in the dark).

Batteries in all 3 lanterns last at least a year, usually longer.
                  Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

Considering cost per lumen, size, weight and everything else, going with either a gas or LED will both be good choices.

I like to keep the fuel type the same for as many things as possible, so I like to use liquid gas for my stove and my lantern. Of course, I have small flashlights for everybody for convenience, but the primary light is still the Coleman gas lantern. If smaller is better for you, consider the Coleman Exponent single mantle lantern. With carrying case, it is about 1/3 the size of the Coleman two mantle lantern. It isn't as bright as a two mantle lantern, but it is bright and clearly sufficient. Both the Coleman two mantle and single mantle gas lanterns are duel fuel and can use Coleman white gas or automotive gasoline.

I have propane lanterns and stoves, but I don't like propane because it is fussy in cold temperatures and at different elevations. Still, if YOU like propane, you might like to use propane for both your stove and your lantern. The Coleman single mantle lantern that screws on top of a propane bottle works very well and it is tiny (except for the propane bottle).

So, if your stove is propane, you might find it convenient to have a propane lantern.

The old standard Coleman two mantle lantern still puts out more light (and more shadows) than any LED light that I have seen yet, but LED lights are surely coming of age and put out enough light for a campsite.

I have a Coleman LED Packaway Lantern that takes 4 AA batteries and puts out plenty of light for most of our needs. I like that it closes into itself to be smaller and to protect the lens. When it is closed, it is about the size of four packs of cards. It is too easy for the on/off button to get pushed accidently when packed, though and I often find it with the batteries dead from being "on" during transportation. It is not as bright as a Two Mantle gas lantern, but it gets the job done for reading maps, working on fishing gear, cooking, reading, and writing postcards.

For me, buying eight D batteries just isn't an option. They can cost between one to two bucks per battery. I know that LED's get a long run per battery, but that is a lot of jingle-jangle to load up a lantern.

Last edited by Mike; 10-20-2012, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Only one question remains, "Considering cost per lumen, size, weight and everything else, going with either a gas or LED will both be good choices." That is, WHAT ARE YOU SMOKIN, BRO? Is there any leftover?
                      :cool:
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I use both. Rayovac Sportsman and this Coleman two mantle lantern

There is nothing like camping at night with the sound of a propane lantern. There is also nothing like being able to see inside your tent....

Comment

Originally posted by jbassett View Post
                          I kinda do the same as KingQuad, depending on the type of trip. If I am on a trip where I only want to take one lantern, its usually the LED. In colder weather (like early spring and late fall) I would opt for the propane.
                          Agreed.

- Timberline

Comment

Originally posted by arturo7 View Post
                            In the market for a new lantern. Trying to decide between propane and LED.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Danke
                            Get those led one. They are perfect with more brightness and less consumption of energy

Comment

Working...
                            X