newb - best gas stove ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: newb - best gas stove ?

I agree Ive used colmen fuel for my stove and lantern and Ive used old fuel. I had a can of fuel that the top was all rusted and my son-in-law used it this last weekend. I had that can for a number of years. Im suprised to hear that it can go bad. It would be good to hear what others have to say.

Comment

Never been a fan of propane for a variety of reasons and am quite pleased with the longevity and operation of vintage white gas Coleman stoves.
      Currently using a 1970's Coleman stove that I bought via CL after hearing online that the new Colemans were not quite up to snuff.
      Parts are easy to acquire and I can repair it myself with a minimum of thinking.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I have picked up a couple old Colman 2 burner white gas stoves on craigslist and replaced the pump on the tank and they work great. They were 10 bucks each used but i dont care much for looks. I also have a jet boil they run from 70 to 100 but they rock.
        Schmoo

Comment

I use a CampChef Everest. Other than the flimsy latch, this thing is a beast! You can purchase a carry bag separately that stores the stove and holds 2 16.4oz. propane canisters or get an adapter for $20 so you can use bigger tanks. I also have a griddle that fits the stove so it can be pretty versatile.

I think I paid a little over $100 for it. I know the Coleman stoves can be cheaper but I can't say as to their quality because I've never used one. I love my CampChef though. Money well spent so far.

A similar stove for about $20 cheaper is the Stansport Outfitter Series. Both tied for 1st in the 2 burner category out of 10 stoves on outdoorgearlabs.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Colem model 413 is what I'd suggest. I have gotten cans of Coleman fuel that were 10 + years old. Burned just fine. Many of the lanterns I've collected had fuel in themWhen I got it. If it didn't stink or look bad I burn the fuel or filter it into another can for use to burn or clean parts with.

Comment

+1 for the Coleman liquid fuel stoves. You can buy second-hand two-burner stoves for $15 to $30, but you will have to use Coleman fuel. No big deal as a gallon of fuel lasts forever.

If you buy a new Coleman two burner stove, it will be a duel fuel. I still recommend Coleman fuel, but you can use unleaded gasoline in a pinch. I would use non-ethanol 91 octane if you go that route.

I have used all kinds of gas camping stoves over the past 40 years and nothing beats Coleman for durability, reliability, maintainability, and efficiency.

Comment

Working...
              X