Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Putting a First Aid Kit together

Originally posted by HogSnapper
    Tonight I ordered a Tick Twister for my kit. I've seen them in action but never used one myself. Anyone here have any experience with it?
    I just watched a few videos of the Tick Twister in action and I think I will be buying one also to see how it works. If it is as good as it looks on the videos I will be adding it to all my first aid kits.

Comment

Here is one of the articles that I saw referenced
      http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124208165196508345.html

The suction devices are still under debate. One of the most popular devices, the Sawyer Extractor, sold by Sawyer Products Inc. of Safety Harbor, Fla., consists of a syringe-shaped chamber with a plunger that creates a vacuum. The company suggests leaving it on 10 to 15 minutes to extract the venom.

However, a study in pigs and one using radioactively labeled simulated venom injected into the thighs of eight human volunteers found the Sawyer Extractor ineffective. "It removes just a minute quantity of venom," says pig-study author Sean P. Bush, a professor of emergency medicine at California's Loma Linda University School of Medicine. Some doctors fear the deep suction could even worsen outcomes by killing skin at the wound site. The human study, published in 2004 by researchers at the University of California in Fresno, found that the device removed no more than 1% to 2% of mock venom from the leg.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

First of all the Sawyer Extractor didn't include a scalpel of any kind. Perhaps the Sawyer company made other kits early on that did but the Extractor was marketed as the first snake bite kit available where cutting was not neccesary. Secondly, after reading the article in 05Kingquad700's post you will see that Stanford University's Dr. Paul Auerbach advocated it's use in his book "Medicine for the Outdoors" in 2003. He is now recommending against it's use in a new edition of his book which is coming out next month based on newer research. Other doctors say the scientific evidence against the Sawyer pump is inconclusive. Robert Hoffman, director0f the New York City Poison Control Center say's "The jury is still out" on the pump. HE CARRIES ONE IN HIS BACK PACK when he goes hiking in snake territory. I wasn't aware of any controversy surrounding this product when I wrote my first post however because of my experience with it it will remain a part of my first aid kit. To any one asking me in the future I will reccommend it but I will be sure to explain the contrversy surrounding it's use.

Comment

Thank you Hogsnapper and Kingquad for the insight.

Comment

We have a herpetologist that backpacks with us in our group. His words, “I’ve been bitten multiple times, and from those experiences I can tell you, all of the snake bite pumps and kits are freaking useless.”
            2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Sense they mentioned Sawyer by name...I wonder if they're getting kick-backs for the mention?

Comment

The herpetologist is correct, the extractors only remove 1/1000 of the volume of venom, and successful treatments are likely due to "dry bites" where no venom is injected. If you're part of our group in the hinterlands where we're on our own, be sure to leave your snakebite kit at home or find another group to hike with - we have enough issues as it is!
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Cause I am probably not the only one who wondered what a herpetologist was........
                  her·pe·tol·o·gy

the branch of zoology dealing with reptiles and amphibians.
                  Like I also said earlier, if I get bite then I will use it as I drive to the hospital!!!!
                  Nights camped in 2019: 24
                  Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Interestingly enough, Backpacker Magazine just did an article about how to treat a snake bite while on the trail...extractors were not mentioned at all. It's in this month’s issue.

Cliff Notes Version:

- Stay Calm
                    - Clean the bite area with soap and clan water.
                    - Cover the bite area.
                    - Splint the appendage to minimize movement.
                    - If the bite is on the foot or leg, do not remove the boot, as swelling may prevent you from getting the boot back on to hike out.
                    - If the bite is on the hand, remove any jewelry because of possible swelling.
                    - DO NOT USE A TOURNIQUET!
                    - Get to a hospital ASAP!

But, if it makes you feel better to use one...go ahead.
                    Last edited by busere; 05-30-2012, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X