Campfire Pokers: Whadause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campfire Pokers: Whadause?

So what do you use to stir up the campfire when the embers need a little stirrin?

On occasion I've been accused of using a cub scout or brownie but that has never happened! My bride is always upset when I take our fireplace poker set camping, gold plated handles from our wood burning fireplace! So what do you use? I'm open to suggestions?:confused:

When we were looking to buy our home in North Ogden we were shown 20 homes with gas fireplaces. That went over like a lead balloon! Then our Realtor showed us this house with a real wood-burning fireplace and a wood burning stove in the basement family room! That is what sold me! If you ask my bride she won't admit it but that is what sold her too on this house. I don't know but burning wood is the best thing next to camping itself! :o
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: Campfire Pokers: Whadause?

I generally just use a longer stick. One less thing to pack, plus you can burn it at the end of the trip. If the fire died down a bit too much, I usually just move the embers with whatever piece of wood I'm about to place into the fire.

Comment

Sticks work. No doubt. Tarps can be made into tents, too, but they're never as good as the real thing. IMHO, a good quality fire poker of enough length, with a good solid comfortable handle is the way to go. Make it out of rust resistant stainless steel and you've got a true tool for tending the fire, not to mention hooking the handle of a Dutch oven, use it as a hiking stick and, if worse comes to worse, fend off a rabid raccoon. With a stick, you can push and stir, with a real poker, with a large enough hook for logs, you can really manipulate the wood. I got tired of dealing with bugs, slime, and looking for just the right stick, so I made just such a poker as described. I LOVE IT. One more thing to pack? I'm kind of a pack rat anyway, I love gadgets, doohickeys, and what-nots. I mean if I put an air conditioner in my tent, packing a poker is small potatoes.
      Duane R. Winters
      sigpic
      www.northridgedesigns.com

Comment

Originally posted by North Ridge Designs View Post
        One more thing to pack? I'm kind of a pack rat anyway, I love gadgets, doohickeys, and what-nots. I mean if I put an air conditioner in my tent, packing a poker is small potatoes.
        You do have a point with that...

Comment

Always find a decent one on-site, after we set up camp we like to hike about, forage for any leftover free firewood nearby and come up with a decent poker (or two). The hatchet does a nice point on a 4-foot stick and I'm set anyway...Can't disagree about the need for a fireplace at home, we live in Sunny San Diego but I insist on a nice hearth- luckily our home had a decent custom-made river-rock fireplace, a lot like the one seen in the OJ Simpson home. Probably a close 2nd to the home fireplace would be my Husqvarna 355 Rancher, that does quick work on the ever-available eucalyptus we usually burn at home, and in camp. The thing has a larger engine (55cc) than my first Honda motorcycle did!!!
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

For a few trips I used the greenest step up from kindling I could find (small tree limb) but then I met some fellow campers and one of them pulled out a broken hardwood baseball bat for fire stiriing. Spent the next few home walks through my local softball/baseball fields looking for a discarded wood bat and finally snagged one. Hasn't left my camping side since .

As for home, we make do with a discarded Victorian oak mantel piece surrounded by various sized candles and a CI fireback. The grand-daughter is still convinced Santa Claus slides down annually which is prolly part of my attraction to her....
            Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-14-2012, 04:41 PM.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I never bring a stick to a poker fight.
              Duane R. Winters
              sigpic

Comment

I never bring a stick to a poker fight.

....I never bring a poker to a stick fight....
                2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Anything your stick can do my poker can do better. My poker does everything better than your stick.
                  Duane R. Winters
                  sigpic

Comment

Anything your stick can do my poker can do better. My poker does everything better than your stick.
                    ....so YOU say... which is what I would expect....:cool:
                    2017:

Comment

Not to worry ladies & gents, NRD is on his way to becoming another PV(Preferred Vendor)! Looks like a mighty fine product be have and hold around a campfire in whatever ways you go camping! Looks like my bride will be happy to have me leave our wedding present fireplace tool set at home!

NYCgrrl...you mean to say that Santa uses the front door like everyone else?
                      Last edited by renodesertfox; 06-15-2012, 04:11 PM.

Comment

And it's pretty and shiny. And, it can pull. Your stick can only push and everyone knows pulling is the most important part of tending a fire. And, it lasts long enough to develop a real bond with it. Not like a use it, abuse it, and refuse it stick. No, it'll be your friend the rest of your life. And it's pretty and shiny and it pulls.
                        Duane R. Winters
                        sigpic

Comment

...<apparently NRD has been missing a lot of late night commercials whilst having a personal admiration moment>....
                          Sorry!
                          Was just thinking out loud....

NYCgrrl...you mean to say that Santa uses the front door like everyone else?
                          Ahem.............obviously you have not been listening to vintage blues......
                          2017:

Comment

Ah, when the blues comes a knockin, ya better open up the door and let it in! It's all good, fuel for the fire of camping! Catch it often and enjoy the splendor of living with earth, sitting round a campfire as darkness deepens, grasp it when you can! When December curls around your abode, the summer campfire is a phantom long treasured!

Comment

Say, that's kinda catchy! Too bad Ethel Merman's not around to sing the commercial jingle for you.
                              Sleep bug free!
                              www.BreezyBrigade.com

Comment

Working...
                              X