Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went of my first solo backpacking trip! Whichs leads to questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went of my first solo backpacking trip! Whichs leads to questions..

So I went on my first solo backpacking trip..nowhere far, it's about a 2 mile hike to nice place to camp along a river. I'll include a picture of the campsite. I've figured out why people encourage me to take someone else along..to have them as a pack mule. Damn my pack was heavy! Of course I'm sure with experience I'll get better at packing lightly.

SO here's my question..

HOW do ya'll manage to comfortably sleep in a tent? The last 2 times I've tent camped (which are the only times I've done it as an adult) I literally got no sleep. Because I was so uncomfortable. Am I'm not picky about the surface I sleep on, I can sleep in soft beds, firm beds, in pretty much any position. But I could not sleep at all in the tent. I had a blue foam sleep roll from Walmart, no sleeping bag just a light blanket (b/c it was warm). So do I need to use a couple sleeping pads? Or just get a much better one? Can you ever comfortably sleep on the ground? My brother uses a hammock and loves it, but I like the perceived security of a tent, I think I'd be creeped out without one. Sometimes I car camp, other times backpacking, so weight would be a consideration. Please let me know what you use!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-16_16-27-11_228.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	72534

Question why is my tent so droopy? Last time I Set it up I didn't have that problem, not sure what I did differently. Ah well it kept me dry!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-16_14-50-48_25.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	72533

This is what I saw just a short walk from where I camped..how awesome!

Re: Went of my first solo backpacking trip! Whichs leads to questions..

Oh and I weighed my pack...36 lbs. Yikes! Of course none of it is lightweight stuff made for backpacking..it's just stuff I threw together. The tent itself weighed 7 lbs, is that crazy? It was $4 at a garage sale, so that sorta makes up for it.

Comment

Young lady, you are so in need of some instruction. UI think it is great that you are taking the plunge to camp and go backpacking individually. At the same time you need to do some basic research and practice things like setting up your tent properly BEFORE you get off the beaten path. With most backpacking gear you get what you pay for so I would say that a $4, 7lb. tent isn't the wisest choice you could have made. You obviously have the desire to get out and experience camping and backpacking or else you wouldn't be here and you wouldn't have gone in the first place.This forum is a good place to start. Ask specific questions, you will sometimes get more thasn one answer so you then have to decide for yourself which one is best for you, but at least you will have some information to go by. Visit your public library and read whatever you can on the subject. Visit your local outfitter and see what they can tell you. you should go to a store such as REI, where the sales people are also backpackers. The big box stores have sales people who don't always know what they are talking about. I am glad you seem to have enjoyed your first backpacking trip and I wish you very many more but I do hope that you will prepare yourself better for your own safety and enjoyment of the activities.

Comment

Carmen,

There is so much free help both online and offline for camping. I think that the reason you could not sleep is the same for most people-it's what you place between yourself and the ground. I have been back packing for 35 years. I have used a mid-weight Therm-A-Rest for most of those years. Therm-A-Rest are a self inflating air mattress. There are many other brands that are just as good. I just bought my wife an Exped SIM comfort because she wiggles and moves around all night. I usually sleep through all night. We are now tent campers since my wife will never back pack.

I would suggest getting a sleeping bag because a blanket weighs more than a light weight down bag.

Stay away from any equipment that is cheap. If you can find a high quality item at a garage sale for $4, then do it. For the above listed tent, you over paid for it. I usually use a self supporting tent like a Eureka, REI, The North Face, etc that comes with a rain fly. I have been very lucky on my last back packing trips because I did not sleep in a tent. I camped with a friend who had a small 2 person tent. I like the open sky.

Listen to what HikenHunter says. Go to REI and learn from some experienced campers. REI rents equipment and it's well worth the price.
        Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
        sigpic

Comment

Yes I definitely have a lot to learn! My goal is to get some better things, but I cannot afford to get a bunch of good stuff all at once, so I have to do it slowly. Which meant, if I wanted to go out now, I had to make do, which is what I did. I purchased a used external frame backpack off of craigslist which is in good condition, that was my "splurge" for now. As I can, I will replace things with better, lighter versions. Since it was only a 2 mile hike, it's wasn't a necessity to have super light weight stuff.

Hikenhunter..I did set up the tent before I left, and it didn't droop that time, which is why I'm not sure what I did wrong. I got my tent to use when I car camp by myself, b/c I wanted something nice and small for when it's just me. When I bought it I wasn't intending to take it on a backpacking trip, but it worked for now, since I don't have the money to buy a new one now. I will before I do any longer trips. What tent do you reccomend? A 2 person is sufficient.

Markkee..what's a good sleeping bag? Should I expect the sleeping bag to add to the cushioning underneath me, or is that solely based on the pad I'm using? I used the blanket b/c it was way too warm for a sleeping bag, the blanket weighs next to nothing (literally, my scale that goes in 1/10 lb increments did not register it). But I will definitely need a good bag come fall.

Markkee one other question..I'd heard people have issues with the air mattress's leaking. Are the self inflating ones different?

Comment

Question why is my tent so droopy? Last time I Set it up I didn't have that problem, not sure what I did differently. Ah well it kept me dry!
            I tried doing a closeup to discern who manufactures the tent but canna make out the full name. So w/o looking at the manual I'm guessing that the black cord piece that attaches to the metal frame needs adjusting. You might be able to purchase a guy line adjuster(?)(help me out peeps if that's not what it's called) to shorten the length. Were I not to have one on hand...I might knot it.

Another possibility..last time you attached the cord to the frame so the "C" cup piece face inward whilst this time you attached it and it faced outward?

I'm trying here:D.

I think it's wonderful that you are doing this on your own and learning from the experience!
            Another yes to renting and learning from places like REI. EMS also does rentals.

By the way.......not sure if the pic shown is the final setup yet it's better to fold your tarp so none shows, rain water wise. I lap under so the rain cannot leach up.
            Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-17-2012, 09:25 PM.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

The nice thing about the self inflating is, even if they do get a leak in them, you still have the foam cushion in them. That provides some comfort. I understand about buying stuff slowly. I slowly bought stuff to get the setup I currently have, not backpacking gear. You may be able to rent tents from REI and figure out which one you like the best. Look at craigslist, amazon and ebay to find cheap gear. Also, have you thought of hammock camping? I know some who do this, and save weight this way.
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by Carmen1979 View Post

Markkee..what's a good sleeping bag? Should I expect the sleeping bag to add to the cushioning underneath me, or is that solely based on the pad I'm using? I used the blanket b/c it was way too warm for a sleeping bag, the blanket weighs next to nothing (literally, my scale that goes in 1/10 lb increments did not register it). But I will definitely need a good bag come fall.

Markkee one other question..I'd heard people have issues with the air mattress's leaking. Are the self inflating ones different?
                You are on a budget and I don't want to spoil that. I have used the same down sleeping bag for over 20 years. It's made by Western Mountaineering. I paid about $200 and now a similar bag will cost you $500 from them. Too expensive.

Sea To Summit makes some very nice bags that will not break your budget. They are meant for European style back packers. The bags are semi-rectangular cut and can be used at hostels and back packing. I am going to buy the Sea To Summit Trek TK II bag for 3 season use. You could go with the TK I. Do whatever you have to do to buy a decent sleeping bag. These bags weigh about 2.2 pound. If you have to hunt for plastic bottles to return to the recyclers to make some extra cash, then do it.

I have popped every air mattress on the market except my REI Campbed 3.5. It's only 3 years old, so give it some time. I have a bunch of Therm-A-Rests that I have punctured and repaired with their repair kits. You can use Shoe-goo to repair them. Self inflating air mattresses still work when punctured. They have a built in foam core.

I just bought my 2 kids the new Klymit Static V air mattresses. They weigh about a pound each and are very durable. You can see Youtube videos of the CEO jumping up down on them on a pile of rocks. I have repair kits for these too.

If you are really concerned about flat air mattresses, and are young enough to sleep on rocks, then get a nice Therm-A-Rest folding egg crate style pad. I have one and it's sort of comfortable. My kids can sleep on it. Not me.

Craigslist will be your best friend. Write to people that are selling and explain your situation and that you are tight on money. We use Freecycle.org and to get all kinds of free stuff. We also give away a ton of stuff too. I am using a free pressure cooker for camping that we got on Freecycle. It's an amazing gadget that saves us so much time.
                sigpic

Comment

Here is the url to FreeCycle.org. Give it try! If you want to clean house, use them. All you have to do is drop stuff outside of your door and people pick it up. No need to meet face to face.

We have posted stuff and some of friends from church have responded not knowing who we are until they show up. We have done the same thing and arrived at some of friends house. Another man's trash is going to be your treasure!
                  sigpic

Comment

NYCGrrl I think I set up everything exactly the same way, but who knows, maybe I changed something and didn't notice. I will try tightening the elastic cords next, I'm sure that will help some. Markkee I'll keep an eye on freecycle,t hanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately in my are, freecycle is mainly people asking for free stuff, not offering. I also look on craigslist, as well. I thought about hammock camping but for now, I like the "security" of having tent walls around me. I think I'd be creeped out without a tent.

Comment

What do ya'll think of this tent? It's 4 lbs..is that decent? It's certainly better than 7 lbs, and reasonably priced. But it's the store brand for Academy I think...and you guys warned me against big box stores. What do you think of this brand?

Comment

Academy offeres different brands of 2-man tents according to their website. If it's the Kelty Trail Grand Mesa it's a mid-level quality tent that will give you many seasons of fun for the price. Unless you're a summer-only camper or plan on packing a heater, I'd avoid hammocks, cots, air mattresses, etc. as they'll suck the body hear right out of you. Bags provide insulation, not padding! A sleeping bag is a great place to not go cheap as quality down will last a lifetime, can be found with breathable waterproof covers, and since they're made in large quantities can be had new at great discounts off Ebay from brands like Marmot, A16, REI, EMS, Kelty, NorthFace, and Mountain HardWear. A budget alternative would be a Kelty synthetic sleeping bag over a quality ThermaRest sleeping pad. The pad won't wear out or leak, and when the sleeping bag does you'll be ready to upgrade to 650-fill down, which as I said will last a lifetime.
                        Last edited by tplife; 06-18-2012, 02:17 PM.
                        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Agreed with TP, there's nothing wrong with Academy, the zippers(plastic) will wear out before the tent does. But that is a small price to pay for relative comfort when backpackin! Every ounce counts, the lighter the load the better for your mileage, back & muscles.
                          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Ooops I forgot to include the link to the tent I think...http://greenville.craigslist.org/spo/3042491279.html

Comment

Oh and I'm more likely to do most of my camping NOT in summer...I don't enjoy camping in super hot weather. Longer trips would definately be in fall, winter, and spring.

Comment

Working...
                              X