Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went of my first solo backpacking trip! Whichs leads to questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Went of my first solo backpacking trip! Whichs leads to questions..

That tent looks decent. Personnally I don't see the need for spending hundreds of dollars on a tent so I have bought mostly Eureka and have had good success with them. I always buy a free standing tent because I find them easier to handle when setting up alone. Also I usually carry a two man tent because I like the extra space so I can put my gear in the tent with me. Check out Campmor.com for some decent tents at decent prices.

Comment

I use a thermarest, it's inflates to a thickness of about 1-1/2", Its light and rolls up to about 8" X 6" round. It costs about $80-$90 cdn, but worth every penny. I've been using mine for 2+ years, if you take care of it and are careful while using and storing it, it will last. If you do get a hole, use a tent "seam sealer" to seal the hole.
      An air mattress is like a good pair of shoes, you want a decent one- if buy a cheap one you'll get what you pay for.
      Last edited by Logtec; 11-07-2012, 12:37 AM. Reason: Sp

Comment

Carmen1979: It sounds like to me you did everything OK. A solo pack under 40 lbs is not at all unreasonable. My solo pack is usually at least 65 lbs. Sounds like you did a good planning and packing job, assuming that you had everything you needed and didn't bring a bunch of stuff you didn't need.

7 lbs for a tent is not unreasonable. There are lighter tents, but you will only save maybe two and a half lbs over what you have now.

As for your sleeping problem, probably a lot had to do with being alone in the forest for the first time - you know, maybe a little anxiety or unfamiliarity. Some old timers (like my grandpa) bring a half pint of brandy just for this purpose. (that's why they call it a nightcap). You can bring a dog companion with you too. Camping with a dog is better than camping completely alone - especially at night.

So, Carmen, I think you are doing OK. You will learn tips along the way. The important thing is to just keep camping and experimenting, and reading and learning.

I think it is really cool that you are camping and even solo camping!

Comment

LOL well I will admit I did bring some things I didn't need I overestimated several things! But live and learn, right? I'm going to invest in a good sleeping pad before my next backpacking trip. A friend and I went car camping recently, and brought an air mattress (not a camping one, the kind meant for your home), and slept fine. We also brought so many blankets we were plenty warm. And it was in the 40's at night on that trip. So I've narrowed my problem down to comfort/cold. So at least I know what I need to work on! I may go camping over Thanskgiving, if my work schedule permits it. Haven't decided if I going backpack, or car camp. Depends on how lazy I feel

Comment

7 lbs for a 2 person tent is a manageable weight however the less weight you carry the better, therefore the 4 pound tent is the smarter choice and if you save maybe 2 1/2 lbs. on the tent plus save weight on other items before you know it you can be carrying a load maybe 5 to 10 pounds lighter. On a long trip and even a short one the weight savings will be appreciated by the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikenhunter View Post
              7 lbs for a 2 person tent is a manageable weight however the less weight you carry the better, therefore the 4 pound tent is the smarter choice and if you save maybe 2 1/2 lbs. on the tent plus save weight on other items before you know it you can be carrying a load maybe 5 to 10 pounds lighter. On a long trip and even a short one the weight savings will be appreciated by the end of the day.
              I use the same philosophy for backpacking as I do for bicycle touring. Before I spend a lot of extra money buying new lighter weight gear, I ask my self how much extra weight am I carrying on my belly. The answer these days exceeds ten pounds. That's where I need to focus my resources for weight savings!

As silly as that sounds, any of you who have gained or lost weight in a short time span know what a big difference it makes in putting your body in motion. Losing ten pounds off of your body makes hiking easier just like losing ten lbs off your pack. You can climb hills easier and faster, walk faster, everything is easier.

Of course, for those folks who don't have body fat to spare, buying lighter-weight equipment is the only option. I hope to one day be able to use that excuse to my wife again so I can justify buying more new lighter weight gear.
              Last edited by Mike; 11-13-2012, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                I use the same philosophy for backpacking as I do for bicycle touring. Before I spend a lot of extra money buying new lighter weight gear, I ask my self how much extra weight am I carrying on my belly. The answer these days exceeds ten pounds. That's where I need to focus my resources for weight savings!

As silly as that sounds, any of you who have gained or lost weight in a short time span know what a big difference it makes in putting your body in motion. Losing ten pounds off of your body makes hiking easier just like losing ten lbs off your pack. You can climb hills easier and faster, walk faster, everything is easier.

Of course, for those folks who don't have body fat to spare, buying lighter-weight equipment is the only option. I hope to one day be able to use that excuse to my wife again so I can justify buying more new lighter weight gear.
                I agree with everything you say here but, since she is buying new then it still makes sense to buy the best quality, and lightest weight gear she can afford. If we are overweight and we buy light weight gear then, when we lose some body weight it just makes backpacking that much more enjoyable and puts that much less strain on our bodies.

Comment

Working...
                X