Your dogs and camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your dogs and camping

I’ve read most of the threads on CF regarding dogs and camping, there have been a lot of great suggestions about preparation for taking your dog camping that I hadn’t thought of. I do have a couple more questions:

How many of you do take your dog/s camping with you?
    What kind of dog/s do you have and how large are they?
    Are you in a tent, or camper?
    Do you always take your dog/s, or does it depend on the weather?
    Does the pup sleep inside or outside?

The misses and I are deciding if we want to take our dogs with us camping next year. We have two Olde English Bulldogges, both of them right at the 70 pound mark and 9 months old today. We passed on taking them this year as it was my wife’s first time camping since she was about 5 years old.

Dan
    www.MuttShopProducts.com
    http://www.facebook.com/MuttShopProducts
    https://twitter.com/MuttShop

Re: Your dogs and camping

Gotta count me out, we now have neither children, cats or dogs with us. Try to keep the jeep as pack as I can so on a moment's notice we can weekend camp.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Copper is a Golden Retriever/Labrador retriever cross. He weighs in at about 80 lbs. He sleeps in the tent with me, and I only take him when I'm backpacking, but while I prefer dry weather I will go in any weather and so will Copper.

Comment

Gus loves to camp. He sleeps in the tent and will tell me when it is time to go in and get ready for bed. He doesn't always go, just depends on where I am going, if I know the area, how many people would be around, and what my plans are for the trip. He is extremely protective, so if too many people around he wont go and if I plan on fishing all night, he wont go since he wants to go after dark... lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0219122008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	69565

WT
        Last edited by West Texan; 09-07-2012, 05:37 PM.
        "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

My dog had his first camping trip this past june. he's gonna go alot because he's small enough to fit in the sleeping bag with me and is a major cuddle bug, which means a warmer night's sleep for me! he's a boston terrier/miniature pincer.

Comment

I've always taken my dog(s) camping when I had one. They love it, and I like having them along. One new dog(from rescue) barked at the wall tent as I was putting it up, but she calmed down after I got it up and went inside. Took her a few minutes to trust that it wouldn't pounce on her. It was hilarious.

One evening I was setting the tent up (smaller 3 man nylon tent) when both my dogs went ballistic! They wouldn't stop barking, and barking is unusual for Malamutes. It was a bear trying to come into camp. They kept it out. After about 20 minutes they calmed down. Found a large pile of fresh bear poop a short ways out of camp in the morning. Don't know if it was a black or grizzly, I didn't see clear tracks, but there's plenty of both.

My dogs sleep inside the tent when I camp. If I sleep out in the open, I sometimes hook them up to a gromet on the corner of the tarp I use for a groundcloth. One dog never went anywhere, so I didnt worry about him, he always stayed right be me. Where I camp, there's nobody around. They run free when I'm out unless I come up on others on a trail or jump off point, or horses come along.

My dogs have always been part of the family, they go wherever I do for the most part.

Comment

Working...
            X