Question about "lighing" etiquette at public campgrounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about "lighing" etiquette at public campgrounds

I used to camp at public campgrounds with my family when I was a kid.

Then, I got into backcountry camping for several decades.

Now, I am getting back into campground camping. Aaaahhh. Never say never.

Anyway, I wonder if etiquette has changed while I was "away".

My question to you folks is this: "is there some kind of commonly understood etiquette about campsite lighting at public campgrounds?"

When I was a kid, Dad would fire up the Coleman two mantle gas lantern at dusk and he would leave it going all night supposedly to keep the varmin away.

Well the past couple of times I have been camping a the state campgrounds, I notice that most lights are out around 9:30 or so. I noticed this when I went for a walk in the campgrounds around that time and it was DARK - oh, a few folks had some Christmas trees around their pop-up trailers and there were some subdued battery operated lights, but the only "sunshine of the night" Coleman two mantle gas lantern that I saw blaring was MINE which I could see even far from my campsite. In fact, I didn't see many of the GIANT bonfires that were so common in years past either.

It made me a little self-consious. Of course, I like to read and write at night and the Coleman not only provides that light, but gives me some warmth to snuggle around while I do my writing. Of course, I always have the gas lantern dark by midnight or when the reading/writing is done - whichever comes first. At that point, I switch to candles for ambiance.

So, modern Folks, what is the word on night lighting at camp?
    There are no rules about lighting - do as you please
    50.00%
    No lights are allowed after a certain time (please post)
    0.00%
    Only subdued lighting is acceptable after a certain time (please post)
    42.86%
    Bright lights like two mantle gas lanterns or high wattage lights are never acceptable
    7.14%
    Last edited by Mike; 10-06-2012, 11:51 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Re: Question about "lighing" etiquette at public campgrounds

I've never known of any 'rules' to limit the lighting - but it is good common courtesy to NOT light up other folks' campsites. Worst I ever stayed at was the KOA in Orlando near 'Da Mouse', where I had to pitch my tent in the wee sliver of dirt in the back forty that they couldn't stuff an RV on, and right next to the bath house and the RV dump station.....
    AND, there was a ballpark behind me that kept their danged stadium lights on ALL night long...... I have never been back.

Lately, noise has been more a problem than lighting...... I personally use small LED lanterns at my campsites.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

yeah, rules depend on campground. Common courtesy is notto have them on if you dont need them
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Never heard of any rules. I colllect and restore Coleman lanterns so if you camp near me you are going to get lit. I do turn them back during quiet times. I seldom leave one on all night. I haven't had anyone complain.

Comment

Inappropriate lighting is one of the reasons I've cut back on camping (the other reason is other folk's late night partying). Last night I camped at a state park nestled in a highly residential area. There is no wildlife other than basic raccoons, deer, etc. The camper next to me had a high wattage light that basically lit up my tent. A camper across the service road left his car headlights on (???), illuminating the rest of my campsite. So much for star gazing ...

I can understand if you're in the wilderness and use lighting for safety. But for developed campsites I think bright lighting is unnecessary and rude. Just like sound, light travels.
          Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
            Inappropriate lighting is one of the reasons I've cut back on camping (the other reason is other folk's late night partying). Last night I camped at a state park nestled in a highly residential area. There is no wildlife other than basic raccoons, deer, etc. The camper next to me had a high wattage light that basically lit up my tent. A camper across the service road left his car headlights on (???), illuminating the rest of my campsite. So much for star gazing ...

I can understand if you're in the wilderness and use lighting for safety. But for developed campsites I think bright lighting is unnecessary and rude.

Just like sound, light travels.
            Wow, I have never experienced the kind of nightmare camping that I read about from our east coast cousins. The farthest east I have camped is wilderness camping in the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee and that was pretty good.

The east coast public campgrounds sound like bad private campgrounds with parties, noise, and light pollution. That's too bad.

I would probably give up on camping if that was the environment.

Comment

This is one reason I really like the 'motorcycle only' campgrounds around the Blue Ridge Mountains area - limits the amount of un-necessary gear that folks bring in. Lanterns are small. Any gathering and late partying is done up at the big covered pavillion well away from the tent field.
              Down here in north Florida, the various hunt camps are pretty good to camp in, except during hunting season - Thanksgiving through January - which is actually the best time to camp down here, to avoid the heat and bugs.
              One campground we stayed at in Alabama has the tents on one side of the service road and RVs on the other. The tent spot we used was dug into the road bank and walled on three sides by concrete - sounds like a bunker - but the noise and light never reached me down in the tent, and I slept very well.
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Personally, I've never really heard of a rule, written or unwritten, but the amount of light after dark at a campground. I, myself, keep the lanterns off just to keep the mosquitos and bugs away when the sun goes down. "Light by campfire" I guess you can say. Otherwise, I'll use the lantern when traveling to RR at 2:30 in the morning.

Comment

Re: Question about "lighting" etiquette at public campgrounds

As for us when we camp or as I when solo campin, we absolute refuse to set up or find a spot to camp at night. At dusk, we'll pitch the tent & bags but that's about it! We like the dark and by starlight and/or moonlight much can be seen if you let your eyes adjust. We do retire early and it is annoying to have someone come in after dark, making noise, shining lights to setup their campsite. Like HS I use the red switch on the headlamp if we have too. However, I do have a flashlight mount attached to my 12 gauge pump if I need to see what noise is about late at night in any bear country. Once a few years back we camped at Bothe-Napa Valley State Park because we didn't know the area and the people camping at the adjacent site had a double mantle lantern lit the entire night and it was placed near their campfire while they were snug in their tents. Guess they were afraid of the dark. Go figure?
                  Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                  Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Count me as one who abhors campsites that are too brightly lit at night. I camp to get away from urbanization and bright lights at night are part of the urban landscape. Why are people scared of the dark? One of my hobbies is astronomy and the beauty to be seen in the heavens under a truly dark sky is a wonder to behold!

With that said, I have no problems if a person needs to light their campsite to set up camp, get some chores, done, etc. But please, when you're finished with the need for light please switch it off or at least turn it down and/or shield it from your fellow campers.

As an FYI, if you're interested in star gazing, PA has a state park dedicated to dark skies and you can camp on a field dubbed "astronomy field"...white lights are absolutely forbidden on that field (only dim red lights are permitted after dark). I camped there this past summer and it was absolutely incredible...the Milky Way was so bright it cast a faint shadow! (And I learned that after your eyes adjust, star light is plenty to find your way around camp at night!)

Craig
                    Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

So what is the difference between light pollution and noise pollution such as radios, drunks, kids or bad guitar players?
                      Nights camped in 2019: 24
                      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I'd say there's little difference at all between light pollution and noise pollution, all are equally obnoxious and disrespectful of your fellow campers. Fortunately, they are all easily eradicated or controlled...turn them off or down (or use headphones in the case of noise pollution). If only chemical pollution was so easy to get rid of...

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by caheaton View Post

As an FYI, if you're interested in star gazing, PA has a state park dedicated to dark skies and you can camp on a field dubbed "astronomy field"...white lights are absolutely forbidden on that field (only dim red lights are permitted after dark). I camped there this past summer and it was absolutely incredible...the Milky Way was so bright it cast a faint shadow! (And I learned that after your eyes adjust, star light is plenty to find your way around camp at night!)
                          What's the name of the park?
                          Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

It's Cherry Springs State Park.
                            http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...ings/index.htm

Here's information on "astronomy field":
                            http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...zing/index.htm
                            Last edited by caheaton; 10-22-2012, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                              So what is the difference between light pollution and noise pollution such as radios, drunks, kids or bad guitar players?
                              There is no difference.. all who participate in this behavior are ignorant and disrespectful and are not campers..
                              Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

Working...
                              X