Backpacking Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpacking Trip

I recently went out to Carlsbad Caverns National Park with my daughter and we backpacked out for the first time. I have always car camped. This was a totaly new experience and we had the time of our lives. However, it was quite a bit more than we realized. Our first trail was the Yucca trail and was 6 miles out one way. I had figured at the very least it would take 6 hours to get to the end. But not having done this before, and not having ever carried a heavy load like that, and not realizing that the first 3 miles climbs 1500', we didn't make it all the way out.
    My first mistake was to head out on the trail at noon. Should have started earlier in the day. Also, I listened to my wife... she tends to pack us down with more than we need. I learned quite a bit. I need to look at what I am taking and try to lighten my load. Also learned that the trail guide maps are more for reference rather that really pinpointing exactly where you are. I tried to get the 7.5 minute maps but could not find them. Will order them online early next time.
    We did not make it all the way out. Once we got to the top of the escarpment, it was about 6:30 and didn't leave a lot of time so we found a spot to pitch the tent and turned in. We had to get back down the next morning so we never got past that point. I am wanting to make that trail again but all the way out. My daughter doesn't want to go on that trail again and no one I know could go with me. So I have been pondering this for a week now. I have reservations about doing this trail on my own. Not worried about people as there aren't likely to be any on this trail. My concerns are that if I slip and hurt myself or some other type of accident happens, no one would be around to help. On the other side, if I wait for someone to go with, I might not ever get back on this trail again. I am probably going to go ahead and go, and make sure I watch my steps and am careful. As long as I tell the Rangers where I will be and when I plan to return, as well as my wife, and check in when I get back, I think everything should be all right. Anyones thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.
    I am working on finding lighter tent and sleeping bag. Looking at the Optimus Crux stove. Looks to be the lightest there is. Also looking at getting into better shape. My legs were sore after we got up there. I have always thought I was in decent shape, but was not used to carrying a pack like that. Will start hitting the trails here in town a little more regularly.

WT
    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Re: Backpacking Trip

We did have a great time. On the hike up the fist day, I almost stepped on a rattler. Passed by him 3 times before I ever saw him. Got a couple of pics of him.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3101.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	69582

Also saw I think a couple of elk right before I turned in for the night. Couldn't tell for sure as I first heard the thundering of hooves and by the time I saw their silhouettes, they were flying down the canyon we had come up. Found a small cave nearby the next morning... couldn't see how deep it went. Watched the bat flight while we were there too. Wasn't exactly what I thought it would be, but prolly cause they are about to migrate south. I was expecting this mad rush of bats out of the cave, but it was more of a continuous waves of them coming out.

All in all though, I learned a lot. Pack lighter, watch what I take, get a better map, get in better shape, leave earlier in the day, hiking up a mountain is slower than I thought it would be, and much more. Will try this again and apply some of my new found knowledge and see if I can't learn something new again.

WT
    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Comment

sounds like you have the basics covered
      first, how long of a trip is this? overnight? weekend?
      should match the size of your pack to your trip,
      larger your pack, more you stuff it with.
      a good pack will also help balance the weight properly, learn to use/adjust all the straps on it.
      is there water along the trail? or are you carrying all your water?
      if there is a water source invest in a good handheld pump filter, $50 pump and $25 filters will filter 100 liters of water.
      how about your food? food can be heavy,
      using dry foods? canned?
      if carrying cans, do away with canned goods and look at ziplocking everything.
      can keep foods simple and use seasonings for flavor.
      cookware? bringing pots and pans? can you do with just 1 small lightweight pot?
      for maps look up national geographic series of maps,
      they have very good detailed maps for major state parks.
      your already on the right track with letting others know where you will be and when.

Comment

Best to always travel as light as possible. My first hike I took too much stuff and the hills were a killer. Never made that mistake again.

Comment

terasec, the trip was a full weekend, hiked one trail the first night, another trail the second night. There was no water on the trail so we carried a gallon each for 24 hours worth. Did make the trip back down a bit lighter. Didn't have a stove so we carried sunflower seeds, beef jerky, granola bars, pop tarts, and the like. Looking at getting the optimus crutch stove and a titanium pot to go with it. Am planning another trip back in a month or so and would like warm food if it is cold. Also looking at a new tent. The only one I have weighs in at nine pounds and was a $25 cheapo tent. Works great for going to the lake. But am looking at 3 different tents in the 5 1/2 pound range. Also my sleeping bag was heavy as well. Looking at a few in the 2 pound range. I would say the only things I carried that were not needed was a big first aid kit (could have used smaller or got rid of the case and put it all in ziplock bag), binoculars, camera, and rain suit. There was no chance of rain and the rain suit I got was extremely heavy. I am getting my list together to get my weight down. Still want the camera at least, but am learning to shave weight to get what I want to do.

Comment

Doesn't sound like your carrying anything outrageous.
            Water? Well is a must so can't skimp on water,
            How are you carrying the water? In a jug? Or bladder?
            Bladder that slips in the pack against your back makes it easier to carry.
            You mentioned el cheapo tent, not a big deal, but what about your pack? Is it also an el cheapo? A cheap pack, you feel it more, a good pack is better at distributing the weight. Use all the straps on the pack, waist, chest, etc,, adjust them all correctly.
            Also don't wait a month till your on the trail to see if your changes helped,
            Take a short hile fully loaded somewhere and see if any changes you made helped.
            Or invite a freind to go camping, split the load pack mule.

Comment

My pack is a Kelty Redcloud. Did fairly well.... just dont think I was used to the weight. Am trying to work out a bit to get into better shape. Just here where I am, we have absolutely no hills at all. We are flat land for 150 miles in all directions. Am working out what my weighted pack will about be and going to work on carrying that weight on walks with my dog. Hoping that will get me acustomed to the carry weight.

Been looking at tents and sleeping bags at REI and Gander Mountain as well as Campmor and Sierra Trading Post. Thinking with what I have found, I could shave 4# on the tent and 2# on the sleeping bag. I plan on getting the gear weight down and toughening myself up to add the weight back in as water since around here there is none. I am planning this trip again in November and will work to have it all together by then. My plan as of right now is to hike to where I originally planned to make it to and set up camp. Next day, do some day hikes. I want to work on orienteering skills and there are several things I'd like to see in that area. Hike back out third morning. If anything came up, then I wouldn't push myself, would just cut the hike short.

Comment

that is a big pack for a weekender,
                stuff you listed sounds like it should be manageable,
                is there something your sneaking in your pack your not telling us? a TV?
                as hog mentioned his weekend pack is about 22 lbs,
                that sounds about right
                i am in mid 20's without water other than a 2 liter bladder,
                how are you packing your bag? heavy stuff at bottom against the back?
                if heavy gear is on top or towards back of pack you will feel it more,
                are you packing heavy clothes like jeans?
                if so i would look into lighter weight hiking pants,

Comment

I chose that pack because of the water situation. This next trip I am hoping to do, I will be out for about 2-1/2 days. As there is no water out there at all, I will be carrying in 2-1/2 gallons of water.
                  The only other items I had in my pack were a small shovel that doubles as a hammer, a change of clothes (all fairly lightweight), and my EDC. I budget is somewhat limited, I am looking for sleepings bags in the 100-150 range. Found a few that are 2lb 4 oz. I packed the bag with sleeping bag at bottom, then tent, then water towards my back and clothes in stuff sack beside the water away from my back to hold the water bottles still.
                  Didn't have jeans, had some kaki cargo pants. Still probably cotton, but they aren't heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by West Texan View Post
                    I recently went out to Carlsbad Caverns National Park with my daughter and we backpacked out for the first time. I have always car camped. This was a totaly new experience and we had the time of our speedboat magazine lives. However, it was quite a bit more than we realized. Our first trail was the Yucca trail and was 6 miles out one way. I had figured at the very least it would take 6 hours to get to the end. But not having done this before, and not having ever carried a heavy load like that, and not realizing that the first 3 miles climbs 1500', we didn't make it all the way out.
                    My first mistake was to head out on the trail at noon. Should have started earlier in the day. Also, I listened to my wife... she tends to pack us down with more than we need. I learned quite a bit. I need to look at what I am taking and try to lighten my load. Also learned that the trail guide maps are more for reference rather that really pinpointing exactly where you are. I tried to get the 7.5 minute maps but could not find them. Will order them online early next time.
                    We did not make it all the way out. Once we got to the top of the escarpment, it was about 6:30 and didn't leave a lot of time so we found a spot to pitch the tent and turned in. We had to get back down the next morning so we never got past that point. I am wanting to make that trail again but all the way out. My daughter doesn't want to go on that trail again and no one I know could go with me. So I have been pondering this for a week now. I have reservations about doing this trail on my own. Not worried about people as there aren't likely to be any on this trail. My concerns are that if I slip and hurt myself or some other type of accident happens, no one would be around to help. On the other side, if I wait for someone to go with, I might not ever get back on this trail again. I am probably going to go ahead and go, and make sure I watch my steps and am careful. As long as I tell the Rangers where I will be and when I plan to return, as well as my wife, and check in when I get back, I think everything should be all right. Anyones thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.
                    I am working on finding lighter tent and sleeping bag. Looking at the Optimus Crux stove. Looks to be the lightest there is. Also looking at getting into better shape. My legs were sore after we got up there. I have always thought I was in decent shape, but was not used to carrying a pack like that. Will start hitting the trails here in town a little more regularly.

WT
                    Glad to hear your back on the mountain side. It's always nice to push yourself past your limits though, right?
                    Last edited by Pickled_Sour; 04-03-2016, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank View Post
                      Best to always travel as light as possible. My first hike I took too much stuff and the hills were a killer. Never made that mistake again.
                      I had to start wearing ankle braces because it gets really really tough after a while.

Comment

Working...
                      X