Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's up with all the canister gas stoves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with all the canister gas stoves?

This past weekend, I went canoe/kayak camping with a group of twelve nice fellows. Three of them were old camping friends. The other fellows were new to me.

It was a neat experience because my three "old" friends and I are 50+ years old and have been back-country camping together for 25+ years. The other fellows were in their early thirties or maybe late twenties and were mostly new to us with the exception that a couple of them were the sons of friends.

The most distinct differences was the cooking equipment and the menus. The young fellows all used canister gas stoves and existed almost entirely on canned things like canned soup, Spagetti-0's, Chef-Boy-RD raviolli, and lots of very good beer. They clearly drank better than they ate, but they shared so I respected that...

The older fellows paid a lot more attention to cooking. We cooked stews from scratch, baked yeast breads, made cobbler desserts. Even our beans were cooked from dried beans, not cans. I am not sure WHY the thought of bringing the stuff pre-made in cans did not occur to us, but it just seemed natural to bring stuff we dried and made ourselves. Honestly, though, the Dinty Moore stew from a can looked every bit as good as what we cooked from scratch.

Perhaps one of the most obvious differences is that the old dudes used liquid fuel stoves: MSR Whisperlites, Coleman Peak, etc. I guess you could say that the stoves we used were all older than our young companions. The younger dudes ALL used small canister gas stoves. Many in my generation of backpackers used to pooh-pooh canister gas because you have to haul in/out empty canisters, blah blah blah - you know the arguments for/against the various fuels.

But it was interesting that the fuel choice would have an age demographic to it. Of course, both worked. The canister gas made sense if all you are doing is heating up canned soup or frying a grilled cheese sandwhich. For long cooking, like cooking the beans in the pressure cooker, liquid fuel was almost a necessity due to the fuel use.

I do remember being more of a minimalist in my younger days and being completely satisfied with instant oameal for breakfast and handfulls of gorp for lunch, but being able to cook fancy meals at camp - especially with a fire gave a fellow bragging rites at least as big as an advanced knot tying expert.

What was fun, though, was that the younger fellows wanted to learn how to cook well at camp. They were curious on the first day, but by the second day, they wanted to help out and learn how to bake bread and cobblers and stews from scratch.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mike; 11-05-2012, 06:01 PM.

Re: What's up with all the canister gas stoves?

Looks like ya'll had a great time. Glad to hear that the young fellows were interested in learning. Most of the younger generation that I see think their way is the only way.
    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Originally posted by West Texan View Post
      Looks like ya'll had a great time. Glad to hear that the young fellows were interested in learning. Most of the younger generation that I see think their way is the only way.
      Ya. Now that you mention it, you know what the difference is between the younger generation of today and my generation in our youth: Nothing.

What a thrill it is to be with a group of young men spending their weekend canoeing, kayaking, camping, and enjoying the camaraderie wholesomely and respectfully together. These fellows were keen to no-trace low-impact camping. I noticed that even though they joked around, they treated each other with respect and no assaults were made at anyone's self-esteem. Jokes were not made at the expense of another's dignity and it seemed natural for the fellows. That was very good to see.

They wore poly and we wore wool, but we shared a common reason for being in nature and a common respect for nature. They were a great pleasure to be with.
      Last edited by Mike; 11-05-2012, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Looks like a great time, with great food.
        I've cooked on both types of stoves, I prefer cooking on my "Optimus nova+", at the age of 35, after a long day of hiking or canoeing I like to take my time and cook a nice meal.
        Some of the people I trek with use the gas canister type burners, but when their canisters are empty they always come to me...
        I guess "to each their own"
        Last edited by Logtec; 11-07-2012, 12:00 AM. Reason: Sp

Comment

Originally posted by Logtec View Post
          Looks like a great time, with great food.
          I've cooked on both types of stoves, I prefer cooking on my "Optimus nova+", at the age of 35, after a long day of hiking or canoeing I like to take my time and cook a nice meal.
          Some of the people I trek with use the gas canister type burners, but when their canisters are empty they always come to me...
          I guess "to each their own"
          Logtec, do you find most of you camping peer group is using canister fuel stoves or liquid gas stoves? In other words, are you a maverick with your liquid fuel Optimus?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Logtec, do you find most of you camping peer group is using canister fuel stoves or liquid gas stoves? In other words, are you a maverick with your liquid fuel Optimus?
            There doesn't seem to be any method to the madness...
            Among me and my closer friends who backpack regularly, it's split between liquid gas and canisters.
            And then there is my hardcore vegan friend who only eats fresh organic raw foods, most of her packs weight is food, which she aways shares, so i dont mind helping her carry some of her food- it's nice to have some fresh fruit/veggies after a few days.

On the other hand, I host a photography group (which makes me a maverick, i guess) that explores abandoned buildings, every year in the spring and fall, we backpack into and campout at an abandoned prison, the age range is from 19-50, this fall we had 25 people and 3 dogs. When it comes to cooking among this group- some use liquid gas, some use canisters, some use the campfire and then there is the people who just eat cold beans etc(they are the people who don't have camping gear but are fine with roughing it for a weekend, I give then credit). Either way nothing bests cooking bacon and eggs as the sun comes up in jail!

Comment

There doesn't seem to be any method to the madness...
              Among me and my closer friends who backpack regularly, it's split between liquid gas and canisters.
              And then there is my hardcore vegan friend who only eats fresh organic raw foods, most of her packs weight is food, which she aways shares, so i dont mind helping her carry some of her food- it's nice to have some fresh fruit/veggies after a few days.

On the other hand, I host a photography group (which makes me a maverick, i guess) that explores abandoned buildings, every year in the spring and fall, we backpack into and campout at an abandoned prison, the age range is from 19-50, this fall we had 25 people and 3 dogs. When it comes to cooking among this group- some use liquid gas, some use canisters, some use the campfire and then there is the people who just eat cold beans etc(they are the people who don't have camping gear but are fine with roughing it for a weekend, I give then credit). Either way nothing bests cooking bacon and eggs as the sun comes up in jail!
              Wow, Holloween must be a great time of year for exploring and camping at the abandoned prison. Oh, the ghost stories you could tell around that campfire! Ya know..... every prison had it's own cemetary. Oowoooooooo.

Bacon and eggs cooked at the old prison ought to be enough to bring out some angry spectors. Throw in a hot cup of strong coffee and a shot of bourbon and you would probably have zombies coming into your camp!

Comment

Hehe...
                No disrespect but I think you watch too much tv. There is no ghosts, zombies or spectors there...
                It's all quiet and peaceful at the prison. I have spent many nights there alone in the solitary cells. It's not that I don't believe in the after life but I don't think they'd stick around there...
                The cemetery is def creepy at night, but still a rush to camp out at, It's located on the banks of "cemetery lake"...

~History of the prison-Camp5 & the town of Burwash:
                Camp5 was a min security work/camp prison in the early 1900's, only accessable by rail. in 1955 a prison was built to house up to 200 prisoners- along with a town called Burwash (w/ a school, hospital, shopping, theatre, bowling alley, etc... ) of about 1000 people for the prison workers and their families.
                The town of Burwash ontario was Located about 10km off the highway and about 50km from the closest town/city. in 1975 the prison was closed due to changes in the correctional system, the town of Burwash was abandoned by the early 80's, and then leveled in the 90's, except for the actual prison, which still remains today(prob due to the fact that it is very hard to get to)

Extra info:
                Camp30: which is still around but abandoned-
                it housed German POWs captured by Canadian forces during WW2, the German POWs were treated very well, most of the POWs got some sort of education or degrees. after the war they remained in Canada to live out their lives productivly and quietly in a free country...

For pictures of camp5 or camp30 PM me.
                Last edited by Logtec; 11-07-2012, 10:56 PM. Reason: Sp

Comment

based on the history lesson, I would like to see some pics posted.
                  Nights camped in 2019: 24
                  Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                    based on the history lesson, I would like to see some pics posted.
                    Here is a link to the camp5/bison photo pool:
                    http://www.flickr.com/groups/campbisoncampout/pool/

Comment

Here is a link to the camp5/bison photo pool:
                      http://www.flickr.com/groups/campbisoncampout/pool/
                      OOh, man. Maybe it doesn't seem scary to you, logtec, but it sure looks and sounds scary to me! The photos of the old jail are great - very artistic. Isn't it something that some vandals will go so far out of their way to vandalize an old building like that - all the windows broken, just about anything breakable is broken and smashed and graffiti everywhere. Too bad. Folks with no self-esteem trying to make a mark on the world in such an impotent way.

Anyway, sleeping in an old abandoned prison cell with nearby Cemetary Lake nearby. Brrrrr. Sounds like good Halloween entertainment.

Comment

I usually camp by motorcycle, so we don't carry the whole "camp Kitchen" thing. I prefer the minimalist approach, and being ex-military, that's how I roll. A small propane mini-cartridge stove (Coleman MAX ONE), or sometimes an Esbit type folding stove with fuel sticks (GI Surplus Tri-ox works well). A GI canteen cup, a little water to heat my MRE or Ready-To-Eat Rice meal in, and I'm good to go! And I do coffee and instant oatmeal or grits in the morning.
                        My regular riding/camping buddy uses his old Whisperlight - I have my meal heated and eaten by the time he gets his stove going well....

Different strokes, and all that. :cool:
                        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Part of what I enjoy about camping is the cooking part. I am a stove hound. I have my Jetboil, MSR Pocket Rocket, Coleman Max1, a boatload of alcohol stoves, an Emberlit wood burner, a homemade knock off of the Bushbuddy, an Esbit stove, Coleman 2 burner camp stove, and a freestanding 2 burner Camp Chef stove. Out of all those stoves, I enjoy cooking over a campfire if it is permitted.
                          For ease of use, I use Mountain House FD food and my Jetboil. I also have the French press add on for great coffee. I have used them all and it's one of my toughest decisions when I'm getting ready to go backpacking. I'm a nutcase....

Comment

It's a good thing that the generation today still appreciate camping activities. A lot of teenagers are just fond of social media engagements.

Comment

Working...
                            X