Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pack out your doo doo??? Are they serious??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: pack out your doo doo??? Are they serious??

Oh.. haven't heard of that before. I haven't do something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
      Unfortunately this very thing about packin out happened to us! First of all dear campers, in order to entice my spouse to enjoy camping, some years ago, we purchased a portable potty called a "Visa Potty."

Needless to say she & I really do enjoy this bit of luxury when disperse camping and even camping in a public restroom it's nice in the middle of the night to use it in the privacy of our tent. It has never leaked or smells bad from any camping trip and is quite the sanitary thing to do, when one has to do the daily unsanitary thing.

What normally happens is once we've packed up and this container of poo is secured on the extension rack, my first order of business is to find a vault toilet somewhere in the vicinity and do the dumping there. Well, this last campout in Wyoming, I couldn't find a vault toilet that wasn't in a heavy traffic area :mad: and ended up driving back the 37 miles of rough-n-ready dirt roads, then 27 miles of paved two-lane traffic and the 130 miles of freeway traffic back to our home in northern Utah. Then after my dear spouse went back to work I emptied the smelly items in one of our bathrooms. So I did pack out my poo! Haha!

The empting wasn't that bad, the chemicals that we have purchased from an RV supplier masked the smell extremely well! I even had a small fresh-air rebreather mask on standby, but didn't need! If you have to pack out poo, this is the best method that we have found.:cool:
      that looks pretty gross... id much rather poo in the woods away from the tent

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
        Unfortunately this very thing about packin out happened to us! First of all dear campers, in order to entice my spouse to enjoy camping, some years ago, we purchased a portable potty called a "Visa Potty."

Needless to say she & I really do enjoy this bit of luxury when disperse camping and even camping in a public restroom it's nice in the middle of the night to use it in the privacy of our tent. It has never leaked or smells bad from any camping trip and is quite the sanitary thing to do, when one has to do the daily unsanitary thing.

What normally happens is once we've packed up and this container of poo is secured on the extension rack, my first order of business is to find a vault toilet somewhere in the vicinity and do the dumping there. Well, this last campout in Wyoming, I couldn't find a vault toilet that wasn't in a heavy traffic area :mad: and ended up driving back the 37 miles of rough-n-ready dirt roads, then 27 miles of paved two-lane traffic and the 130 miles of freeway traffic back to our home in northern Utah. Then after my dear spouse went back to work I emptied the smelly items in one of our bathrooms. So I did pack out my poo! Haha!

The empting wasn't that bad, the chemicals that we have purchased from an RV supplier masked the smell extremely well! I even had a small fresh-air rebreather mask on standby, but didn't need! If you have to pack out poo, this is the best method that we have found.:cool:
        Total YUCKY!!!! That would be enough to convince me to give up camping. Lordy

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
          I think y'all missed reno's clarification that the stains are dust from the desert and the toilet is actually clean.
          Oh, is that what the deal is? Looks like a toilet after an all weekend frat party. (only joking intended - no offenses intended)

Still, I would rather just go outside. Of course, many/most women have a totally different attitude. Forget about the differences in "plumbing" and all that, for some reason, women just seem to need something that looks like a toilet. I have been with women who will choose to use the filthiest stinkiest outhouse rather than go outside in a cathole when nobody is around. I just don't get it. It is a funny thing, ladies will be hopping around screaming that they have to go to the bathroom and you have to get them to a toilet QUICK rather than go outside in the privacy of nature when you are miles from the nearest toilet. You show even a five year old boy that he can pee outside on a tree, and there will be no stopping him.

Last edited by Mike; 01-10-2013, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I'd say most 3 year old boys only need to see someone pee on a tree once and it's instantly their preferred method.. it's actually kind of difficult to get them to stop once they figure it out

Personally, as a girl, I'd rather go squat behind a bush than use an outhouse or most pit toilets... some of them are just soooooo nasty.. forget issues of cleanliness, the smell can knock you over just opening the door, especially in hot weather. We did a lot of primitive/dispersed/free camping when I was growing up, so not having any facilities at all was more common than having them, and I think having to go that way a lot as a kid got rid of the "ewww, no way!" factor to going outside (which I suspect has more to do with stripping down in the open than anything else.. since we can't just unzip and go). That said, they do make devices to assist us girls in peeing standing up. I've never tried any, but there must be enough of a demand for several companies to be in business making them.

Comment

Originally posted by sarahspins View Post

Personally, as a girl, I'd rather go squat behind a bush than use an outhouse or most pit toilets... some of them are just soooooo nasty.. forget issues of cleanliness, the smell can knock you over just opening the door, especially in hot weather.
              I agree. I do not know of any girl that prefers an outhouse over "nature".

Originally posted by sarahspins View Post
              That said, they do make devices to assist us girls in peeing standing up. I've never tried any, but there must be enough of a demand for several companies to be in business making them.
              I have a different model, and I love it !! It means I don't need to leave the tent on cold winter nights.
              Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I dont back pack just car camp.. In my tent at night i have a 5 gallon bucket with lid i only use for pee and have never or would leave poo in the tent while im sleeping and would just take a walk to the bathrooms if i had to. I could not imagine having to bag my poo or have anything in my tent holding poo.
                Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

Working...
                X