Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you cats use for water purification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you cats use for water purification?

HH, yep coffee filters are very useful, I am sure they work well as a pre-filter. Coffee filters are kinda like Altoid tins. I know there is a lot fluff on the web about Altoid tins, but I do have three or four uses for them. Another use for coffee filters is in making tea. I invariably misplace i.e. loose my tea ball when out. A traditional infuser is just too much hassle for me at camp. So....I prepare a requisite number of coffee filters filled with tea(s) and spices. I tie it off with twine and there it is...a tea bag for camp with loose leaf tea.

FYI - on the muslin...pretty cheap actually because it is not dyed or treated. I have 4 sets of the following,
    The fabric was wet and then dryed on hight heat twice for shrinkage,
    Then cut into 18 inch squares.
    each filter consists of 4 squares stacked on top of each other with the weave crisscrossed, vertically, diagonally and horizontal.
    The fabric is double stitched along the edge
    I use a rubber band or my hands to hold the filter tight across container into which the water is being poured
    Each filter is able to pre process a fairly large quantity of water depending on how much stuff is in the water.
    When I am done, wring it out, hang to dry or throw in a wet bag.'
    When I get home they are washed, a little bit of bleach and dried.
    Ready to go again, not easiest way, but get job "done well."
    I have no trouble getting them clean.

But, then again I do not look for the easiest, cheapest or next shortcut. It is kinda like cooking on charcoal or wood fires. I do it because it works well and I like the flavor even though it is more trouble, not because of burn bans etc. I use wood or charcoal (not self lighting and no lighter fluid) at home and in camp. The $1200 Weber grill sits under it cover unless I am cooking for a crowd.

I was taught and lived this way for 58 years, "excellence and individuality is not something you do or attain, it is who you are, every day, all the time." One bachelor and two masters degrees (summa cum laude,) one marriage - successful and happy(and not it was no always easy, some days it was pretty tough and messy, but rather than throw it away we just kept working,) one happy family with children that are successful in life's pursuits and marriages, after college they made their way with no financial help and need of it from Mom and Dad, retired and comfortable at 58. Looking forward to and getting ready for next adventure...I will take long road.

Comment

Not judging you river dog just thought I'd offer up a way to simplify your muslin filter tecnique.

Comment

Hey HH,
        I have no issues with you or you way of doing it, I am sure it works well. I did not take your comment as judgmental in any way. From my point of view you were simply offering a suggestion which I respect and appreciate. I however remain on the other side of the line when it comes to the disposable world that is very prevalent. I simply choose different. I really have no issue with how anybody does their stuff, cuz it is "their stuff." I do not profess to be the last word or all knowing when it comes to camping or anything else for matter. I have however been taught and over the years worked out a few ways of doing things that have worked well.

Below is my way of paying tribute an old friend who has left us. It is NOT directed at anyone in particular and certainly not you.

One example would be pitching a shelter in a hurry. I have a particular way I do it with and without poles since poles are not always at hand. I did not learn it from the internet from some wannabe who likes to hear himself talk. I learned in the field 40+ years ago from a U.S. Army Ranger from the 101st Airborne. He was 1/2 full blood Cherokee 1/2 German and tough as old leather. He made every jump of the 101st in Europe and lived to tell about it. He was my scoutmaster which was he way of teaching a group of very very fortunate young men. He was not big into all the ranks and badges and other stuff. We spent a whole lot more time doing thank talking. He was big into skills, self-reliance, covering your buddies back (new slang = teamwork, to the devil with teamwork, do not let your buddies down and keep they *&*(% covered), and discipline. Mostly because of him I can still cut it in the backwoods. As old as I have gotten and as rusty as some skills are... I can pitch a shelter with tarp and rope in the best place to minimize the elements, build camp furniture or a "lean to" with with a hatchet and heavy twine, dig a dry trench, line it and bivouac anywhere, dig a snow cave and crawl in, slip quiet as mouse through the night, know how and where to look for dry wood in wet conditions, build a fire, cook on said fire, etc. etc. He also taught us some things that are better left unsaid. Most importantly he taught to improvise as needed, believe in ourselves, to never ever give up, to never complain or belly ache over conditions or "breaks", to blame no one for your mistakes but you, to take responsibility and learn from the mistakes, to help "whoever" needed help and to overcome whatever obstacle got in our way. In short he taught to be winners, not mediocre and bloody sure not losers. Rest in peace my old friend, I still love you and miss you, I am and will always be grateful for you having been in my life. This world is a better place because of you.

Comment

Working...
        X