Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this help you while camping?

Would this help you while camping?
    I'm in an engineering class and we need to come up with an idea of something to build to make camping easier. We have come up with an idea to make a device that will make fire tinder quicker, easier and safer. It would also catch a spark quicker because it would create really fine tinder. This would be more for people using flint and steel to start fires.
    Would this invention be useful to anyone?? Has anyone ever injured themselves while making tinder? Would a one time purchase of a tinder maker be a better investment than constantly buying fire-starter bricks or manmade tinder? Does it take time to learn how to make tinder by hand??
    Please post and leave your comments.

Re: Would this help you while camping?

Economy would be the key. For me personally, making tinder is part of the joy of bushcraft and camping. There are so many inexpensive alternatives out there. Vaseline and cotton balls are cheap and water proof. If you use that to light small dry sticks, you have no need for tinder. Couple that with some waterproof matches or a $.79 lighter sealed in a plastic baggy, and the price is tough to beat. They make waterproof firestarters that strike like a match. No tinder needed. The list goes on and on. I use many different methods depending on my mood and the type of camping I'm doing. Weather also plays a factor in my fire starting methods.

On the flip side, people like gadgets and alternatives to do things. They may be a good sell on the wow factor alone. For hiking, I have about 9 different stoves I can take with me. It just depends on what I want to play with. It sounds like you have a cool idea, but to get people to want to use it in lieu of making tinder with a pocket knife or just walking around collecting it, your gadget would have to pull people in and make them want to use it.

Comment

Re: Would this help you while camping?

That would be cool. Good luck to you guys.,

Comment

Working...
      X