X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever....

....used a propane fire pit like this?
    http://www.campchef.com/gas-fire-ring.html

It looks like a good idea, but I can't find a burn time on a bulk tank. I have a couple of 20# tanks. One is on my hot dog cooker(no worries, I have a real BBQ pit) and one, I use for my Camp Chef stove. I figured I may be able to save a few bucks(and effort to collect firewood) by having one of these. In a perfect world, it would provide warmth during Oregon's cool nights and provide some ambiance that is required for camping. I must admit, I'm not fond of the smoke and burning house smell of the wood available in Oregon. Being from Texas and an oak burner, fir just plain stinks. Does anyone have one? What do you think?

Re: Has anyone ever....

I have one. I picked mine up off of craigslist for fifty bucks. The main reason I have one is that we seem to be under a burn ban more often than not. I have done the research on my local sheriff's ban and I beilive that I am fine using this fire ring. I even contacted camp chef and talked to them, and they agreed....couldn't get any writing though. I also have the camp chef explorer stove, and I run my buddy heater off a 20# propane grill tank. Using it on all 3, I have never ran out during a camping trip...mostly 3 day trips.
    While you will not have to move your chair back from the fire, like you would a real fire, it does its job well. You will be able ro roast hot dogs, marshmallows on it. You may have to move closer to the fire if you plan on using it for heat. But it does give you the experience of having a fire. It is easy to extinguish, you just shut off the valve. THe guy I camp with, his wife, wants to get one for when I am not around and there is a fire ban in effect. Here's how I roll, if there is a ban in effect, I take it. If there is no ban, we go with a wood fire.
    check out these videos to see the flames
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdEJkifTzYo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxZPTLOgpUQ
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Thanks, y'all. I think that's going on the list. The wife should like not having to constantly move around to dodge smoke. Hmph...city folk... I think it'll make a worthy addition to the arsenal of stuff I bought to make her comfy enough to spend time with me outdoors. Tired of camping without her.

Comment

Originally posted by familycamper View Post
        The wife should like not having to constantly move around to dodge smoke. Hmph...city folk... I think it'll make a worthy addition to the arsenal of stuff I bought to make her comfy enough to spend time with me outdoors. Tired of camping without her.
        That is all that matters. I have added a bunch of gear to make the wife more comfy and happy. Family is all that matters.

Comment

I bit the bullet and bought one. I use it all the time on the back porch. I love the thing. I bought the mid priced one from CC. The wife and kids even made smores over it.

Comment

I take it you picked up the Redwood. Mine is ready to go, just waiting on the fire bans to kick in again. One of the things I like best is just turning off the propane to go to bed. No more lugging water or dirt to put the fire out.

Comment

Here in Kalifornia, when we have a fire ban, it means no open flame, no charcoal, and propane stoves only, as you can see in my signature photo. The gas fireplaces are banned the same as a campfire - we stay home...
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                I take it you picked up the Redwood. Mine is ready to go, just waiting on the fire bans to kick in again. One of the things I like best is just turning off the propane to go to bed. No more lugging water or dirt to put the fire out.
                Yes. The Redwood. I was at work when I posted last and couldn't remember the name.

@tplife, that's a bummer about the bans. I'm sure Oregon will follow suit soon. I'll be moving back to Texas then.

Comment

Working...
                X