Cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameras

I am looking for a good camera that I could use on the trail. Something not too heavy but takes a good picture. I would like to start taking pics of wildlife and scenery and I need a good starter camera.
    -Chad

Re: Cameras

The very first order of business is deciding "how much" are you willing to spend.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Another lighter weight but very capable option is the Lumix LX7: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/lx7/index.html

Comment

Stay away from compact cameras if you can. And you want at least 10x optical zoom (not digital zoom). I like my el cheapo 10 mega pixel 10x optical zoom Fuji for $200.

Comment

What do you want to spend? If you want to spend 5-600, I suggest a Canon or Nikon kit from adorama or B&H photo.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper

If that's above your price range, check out the Canon Powershot ELPH cameras. They are roughly the same size but start at under $200.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...ot_elph_100_hs
            I had the ELPH. I loved it. I used it so much, and dropped it so much, that eventually it literally broke into pieces.

For some reason, I decided to replace it with a Nikon CoolPix, which takes nice pics. But the zoom is interminably long. I think an insect could go thru an entire life cycle before that camera zooms and focuses. Ok, I'm exaggerating. But if you wan to take nature close-ups with a fairly beginner camera, the CoolPix is not the one. When the CoolPix dies, I'll go back to Canon.
            Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I have and use a nikon dSLR I use for proper photography, but its way to heavy(with lenses and gear) for camping/backpacking, I also don't want to risk losing/breaking it or water damage...

I carry an Olympus PnS, while camping and backpacking. It's about the size of a wallet, waterproof and shock proof, 10meg, good zoom and It takes great pics out and about. I think you can pick one up for $200-$300.
              I highly recommend getting one that is waterproof/ shockproof.

Comment

Originally posted by Logtec View Post
                I have and use a nikon dSLR I use for proper photography, but its way to heavy(with lenses and gear) for camping/backpacking, I also don't want to risk losing/breaking it or water damage...

I carry an Olympus PnS, while camping and backpacking. It's about the size of a wallet, waterproof and shock proof, 10meg, good zoom and It takes great pics out and about. I think you can pick one up for $200-$300.
                I highly recommend getting one that is waterproof/ shockproof.

Good point...especially for camping. You can't go wrong with shock/waterproof camera.

Comment

For basic travel and vacation use, I love my little Nikon Coolpix 12.0MegaPixel. Very user-friendly compared to my earlier pcoket cameras, and came in under $100, with many accessories. I added a second SD card - 1000+ images per card at normal resolution. Takes two AA batteries, which will alst a good long weekend of heavy use. I carry spares of course.
                  For more 'artsy' projects, I still have my old "manual-everything" Pentax K1000 and it's Vivitar clone SLR bodies and a large variety of Pentax lenses and accessories. But with the near demise of 35mm photography, it's getting harder and more expensive to find places to develop the prints, and even find good film. Reminds me of when Mom hauls out her 1950's Brownie camera - try finding batteries and flashbulbs for it!! ;-)
                  If extreme fine quality isn't needed the little Coolpix gets the nod. And it's so very pocketable!
                  Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
                  X