First Dutch Oven Size ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Dutch Oven Size ?

About to buy my first Lodge Logic Dutch Oven. I have seen a lot of recommendations for first time to buy 8 qt. but with just the wife and I, was thinking of the 2 qt. or 4 qt. Many recipes are for the 8 qt. With the 4 qt. I could cut the recipe in half. What do you think?

Re: First Dutch Oven Size ?

It depends on your needs and the number of people that you cook for. I got a 10" and the a 12" The 10" really fits for my family of four pretty nicely. For the difference in price I think I would get the 12 and down size the recipes and then you cold still make a big meal like the chicken and rib meal. Tthe next one i wold get is the 8" or the 6" for desserts. That one is expensive for what you get but it always seems that the meals are missing something. A nice dessert is what it is. I would either get a Lodge, or get one at a garage sale that has been seasoned over the years!

Comment

The 4 qt! is good to go! Wish we had one but with the 8 qt at least we know we'll have left-overs for at least one maybe two extra nights out! We like to camp with 10 days as a normal stretch, so left-overs keeps our meals simple...gourmet simple, I mean! Almost everything tastes better when cook in cast-iron! And that's da truth!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I'd go with the 12 inch. It is the standard size you can find just about anywhere. It also comes in 2 depths as far as sizing goes. My first two were regular 12's and they seem to be the most versatile. I have , over the years added several other sizes to my dutch oven collection, but the regular 12 inch oven see the most use.

Comment

Above is all great info! That is what I was trying to say but ^ is said better!

Comment

Excellent post HS! Good kicking advice!
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. That helps. I am getting the camp oven with legs. Also plan to get the Mair lid lifter. Yeah, I probably will wind up getting several sizes. Thanks again.

Comment

Duplicate message. Not able to delete.
                Last edited by jayrzr; 01-17-2013, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Duplicate message. Not able to delete.
                  Last edited by jayrzr; 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Here is a handy "Dutch Oven Kit" from Camp Chef that allows you to use a dutch oven on a propane grill. You don't need charcoal. As always look for a cheaper ptice some where else. Comes in real handy during a fire ban when charcoal is banned.
                    http://www.campchef.com/dutch-oven-dome.html
                    Nights camped in 2019: 24
                    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                      Here is a handy "Dutch Oven Kit" from Camp Chef that allows you to use a dutch oven on a propane grill. You don't need charcoal. As always look for a cheaper ptice some where else. Comes in real handy during a fire ban when charcoal is banned.
                      http://www.campchef.com/dutch-oven-dome.html
                      I love it!! I did not know that existed. I'm definitely getting one.

[By the way, did you watch the videos on your linked page? Great example of what not to do: wear a long scarf, with fringe, on a windy day, while cooking over a propane stove. I was waiting for the scarf to catch on fire, but I guess they would've edited that out ....]

edited: It's now on its way to me via Amazon.
                      Last edited by GlitterHiker; 01-17-2013, 05:41 PM.
                      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Originally posted by jayrzr View Post
                        Thanks for the info everyone. That helps. I am getting the camp oven with legs. Also plan to get the Mair lid lifter. Yeah, I probably will wind up getting several sizes. Thanks again.
                        You don't need several sizes of Dutch ovens. Having several Dutch ovens usually means having several that don't get used.

for two people, a 10" = 4 quart is the right size for just about everything. This is what my wife and I use now that the kids are all moved out. Smaller is too small, and bigger is too big.

If you like cast iron, a Dutch oven and a frying pan is all you need, but really you can get along pretty well with just a Dutch oven. Better yet is a deep walled fry pan with a lid that you can use as a Dutch oven and frying pan. In this, you can fry eggs, bake bread, and make chili, fry chicken, etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X