Knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knives

At home, I appreciate having the right knife for the job. My current camping kit consists of several cheap multi purpose knives thrown in with my other kitchen utensils.

I'd like a set of knives that will fit in a case of some sort, and be of sufficient quality that I'm not afraid the handles will pop off or the blades break on a tough piece of meat. Nothing like a fine quality german made set, just something that makes sense for camping and preferably where I can keep them protected, both their blades and from me reaching into a box with loose knives.

Any suggestions? .....I'd like a large chefs knife, something serrated for bread etc, paring knife(s), maybe a boning knife.

Re: Knives

Thanks HS....those are some mighty fine knife sets; however, none of them are within my camping budget.

How do you pack your knives?....or do you use one multipurpose knife - which would be easier, I'll bet.

I found this campchef set on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER.

What do you think about a campchef set of knives? Certainly better than what I've got, but do you think the campchef quality reputation would warrant this purchase?

Comment

I like your idea of a couple of 'essential' knives in a knife roll. I agree, there are a lot of parts to the campchef set....and that fork is redundant. I'm not trying to minimize, but I don't need to pack extra stuff for the heck of it.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

I carry a single 4" blade sheath knife which was hand made by a friend of mine.

Comment

Knives? Ain't going there! Like guns, the missus says you'll buy no more 'til you sell one (my father was a close friend of Jim Parker). And selling is too painful! :eek:
          Last edited by tplife; 03-08-2013, 07:17 PM.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I packed a single, 6", multi-purpose kitchen knife with a plastic sheath for cooking/food use. I sharpened it before leaving & I also carried a small sharpener with my gear. It worked out perfectly for pretty much everything I wanted to cut. If you keep it sharpened, it really doesn't matter what you are trying to cut. For everything else I used one of the two multi-tools I brought along.

Comment

I'm currently camping with 2 ceramic knives (prolly a 6" chef and a parer) that a member of this household(who doesn't cook:D) purchased after wayyy too much late night TV. You know the kind....it has a Asian name and for a nominal fee you get 2 sets for the price of one! And that's not all! For a limited time you can have a vegetable peeler too! Yeah sure..after 3 years of camp use only, I'm on the 2nd set and thank you for reminding me it needs replacing since they are impossible to sharpen and chip easily. Sigh.

I can say that the 2 sized knives have come in handy: the paring knife doubles as a cheese and fruit knife on the table; the chef style is useful when a 2nd person is cutting veggies. Oh and the veggie peelers were massive hunks of junk that hit the garbage can within 1 week; I just subbed the parer in it's place.

I store them in a retrofitted wicker picnic hamper along with other tableware and retain the plastic sheaths the knives came with. In an effort to see them better (clear plastic) I dyed them purple w/ fabric dye. No losing the sheaths now.

Somewhere in this house, I've a French folding knife and I'm pretty sure it's going on my next camping trip as a replacement to the ceramic knives. Not sure if I'll take a 2nd knife this time out or not. I recently purchased a FoodSaver and have utilised it to prep veggies and meats in advance; this makes me believe that one knife will be fine. I also have a set of serrated steak knives that multi task for bread cutting.

HTH!
              Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-30-2013, 01:00 AM.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Ceramic knives have fallen out of favor because they are brittle and consequently, dangerous. If you see a chip in your blade, you have to find that chip or throw away what you are cutting/cooking. If somebody swallows a chip of ceramic blade, it is a catastrophic health concern.

Ceramic knives certainly are sharp and for this reason, there was a lot of excitement when they first came out. The food processors were the first to realize their shortcomings - chips of blades that would pass through metal detectors unnoticed. Restaurants were next to stop using them.

Now, after more than a decade of late-night infomercial success, they are disappearing like K-tel records.

I know what you mean about those ceramic "Mandolin" vegetable peelers. I am sure they have peeled as many fingers as they have carrots and potatoes. What a completely stupid and dangerous design.

Comment

Working...
                X