Floating an idea about solar lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floating an idea about solar lights

You know how sometimes there is a guy line from a tarp or tent that's right out there waiting to be tripped over in the dead of night? I was thinking that it might be a good idea to get a few of those solar sidewalk lights to stick in the ground near those tricky stakes just to provide a warning. I hate tripping over those stakes or guy lines.

Dumb idea or what?

Re: Floating an idea about solar lights

dont think its a bad idea,
    may not need 1 at each corner, but one on each side may be enough,
    another alternative is some reflective rape

Comment

That is not a dumb idea, but I personally do not like light pollution when camping. not to mention that I am trying to skinny down on carrying "stuff"

A better solution might be to have reflective guy lines which are pretty easily available these days. Of course, reflective guy lines reflect if you shine a light on them.

Comment

Thanks. I never thought of reflective guy lines or reflective tape.

Comment

another thing to consider is light may attract bugs,

Comment

Never heard of mini cyalume chem lights, but that sounds like a cheap alternative. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

I just ordered them; I'll let you know how they work out. You are a man of many resources!

Comment

buy some glow in the dark paracord and replace your guy lines with it.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9BEH3D-n3w
                Even if you don't buy the glow in the dark variety, it is still good stuff to have on hand when you camp. Paracord has been called "the duct tape of the rope world"
                Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 03-11-2013, 04:55 PM. Reason: because I wanted to
                Nights camped in 2019: 24
                Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

No, I have not used them. That may be a good item for Mutt Shop to start carrying. I have seen the paracord with a tracer in them, that is how I knew it existed.

Comment

HS got all of my ideas and then some. I've seen the reflective paracord but not glow in the dark paracord. I do know intumescents have come a long way. They are being used to light up stairways in case of severe power failures and some of the stuff ot now is almost as bright as flourescents. Kingquad, what is the tracer paracord?
                    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

I'd also like to know about that tracer paracord, if you know of a source. Not on Amazon as far as I can find.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                        No, I have not used them. That may be a good item for Mutt Shop to start carrying.
                        We’ve talked about in the past, and it is on our radar. It’s something we are planning on looking at closer once we have all of our Outbound products pictured, and new description written for.

Now we just need the snow to melt off so, we can set up the tents and take photos that are up to our standards.
                        www.MuttShopProducts.com
                        http://www.facebook.com/MuttShopProducts
                        https://twitter.com/MuttShop

Comment

search "glow in the dark tracer paracord" on your search engine Here http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/50-paraco...owReviews=True is one website I found. The link posted by hogsnapper had glow in the dark paracord. You can also search on youtube to see results.

Comment

Thanks for that link and suggestion. I'll look into those.....but the more I think about it, the less urgent it feels to mark off the guy lines and stakes. Maybe I've over thought this, and it's really not that big of a problem?

Comment

Is that mason's line strong enough to hold up a tarp or tent? Looks pretty fine....

Kind of kidding, since I know you wouldn't suggest it if it didn't work. And I've got a Home Depot not too far from my house.

Another question....when you set up a tarp for rain cover, do you use sticks or do you use tent poles?

Sorry for being all over the map here. Please don't revoke my membership John John.

Comment

Working...
                              X