Floating an idea about solar lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Floating an idea about solar lights

Thanks. Now I'm totally confused. I think I'll use rope, maybe tracer paracord, and just muddle through the tarp setup. After all, it does depend on the trees on the site. I'm sure we will be able to figure something out that works.

Comment

" This setup also makes it so that there are guylines reaching down to the ground and nothing to trip over."

Maybe this is why I am confused. I can't visualize how there won't be guylines reaching to the ground. How does one anchor the tarp?

Comment

I may redo my guy lines on my shower enclosure with tracer paracord. I don't like the looks of the total glow in the dark ones. I never hava problem with the guy lines, it is more the wife and kid.....
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

My token has expired so I couldn't respond at first. Token? What?
          Last edited by Joyous56; 03-15-2013, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Ah, I see what you mean. The sites I've found, I'm lucky to have two trees to support a tarp. Maybe I'm not camping in the right places. Thanks for this, HS.

Comment

I'm new here & this is actually my first post, but it just so happens that I have experience with both. I used to camp a lot as a kid and just this year bought a tent for my family who's never been camping. One of my concerns was them tripping over the lines as well as being able to see what they were doing as they came in & out of the tent during the night. So I did a little searching around the net for a way to highlight the guy lines & at first was looking for reflective tape to attach to the existing lines. Then I stumbled upon the reflective paracord and thought I'd give that a try. At first I considered the glow stuff, but as mentioned before, the glow time would be an issue & for the cost it would be totally useless once it faded. So instead I settled on a bright neon cord with the reflective tracers. It's bright enough so that you can still see it in low light and when a flashlight hits it there is no mistaking where it's at. Here's a shot that shows how well it works against the camera flash:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130316_201155.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	69676

In addition, I also bought one of the cheap solar lights from Walmart for under $2 to put near the entrance of the tent. It worked fairly well and lit the entrance just enough to see, but wasn't so bright that it was obtrusive. In fact, you could hardly see it while inside the tent. It did, however, run out of power before the morning but since it was mainly there for the kids in the evening time before bedding down it served it's purpose.

This is where I bought my cord from. They have a large selection of both the reflective and glow cord at a decent price.

http://www.mrparacord.com/neon-green...FcqY4AodkDQAIA

Comment

Sorry for the repost
                Last edited by rajncajn; 03-21-2013, 07:23 PM.

Comment

The .idea of a low level solar light is a good one. That is what I love about the full moon. It seems as bright as day
                  Nights camped in 2019: 24
                  Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Thanks. On my daily walks in the neighborhood I've seen 1 inch lights on 8 inch stakes that seem like they might work. I'll buy 2-4 if they are cheap and see how they work.

I'll report back once I've tried this out.

Comment

I've seen rolls of LED rope-lights that are solar powered, they would be ideal either in, on, or around the tent or campsite!
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I like the idea of those LED solar rope lights, like dim Christmas tree lights. They might have a place in setting up a campsite, depending on how expensive they are.

Comment

I'm a cheap and lazy old fart. You would be surprised how visible white paper towels are - even in the dark.
                          I just knot one corner (of one paper towel - not the roll), on the offending guy-line. Works for me. Then on break-down, just tear off and toss in the trash.
                          Bingo! Old cheapo strikes again.

Gus

Comment

Originally posted by Gus@campingwithgus.com View Post
                            I'm a cheap and lazy old fart. You would be surprised how visible white paper towels are - even in the dark.
                            I just knot one corner (of one paper towel - not the roll), on the offending guy-line. Works for me. Then on break-down, just tear off and toss in the trash.
                            Bingo! Old cheapo strikes again.

Gus
                            I'm all about finding cheap & easy solutions, but paper towels wouldn't last long in the Mississippi humidity. One night out in the open air & they're done. Also paper towel roll is about $3-4? I saw a set of 5 solar lanterns at Walgreens this past week for $12. The solar lights that I referred to earlier can be found for under $2 a light at just about anywhere that sells them.

Comment

Well, I did say I was cheap and lazy. I use "pick-a-size" paper towels, (124 p/roll @ approx. $1 p/roll), and unless it rains, 1 sheet p/line lasts all weekend, (even in high-humidity). Then its rip-toss-forget about it.

Gus

Comment

Working...
                              X