New here - planning to be a van camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here - planning to be a van camper

I'm new here and planning to be a van camper. Not sure which forum I should haunt - tent camping or small trailer camping. The only way I'm going to be able to travel in retirement is to buy a cargo van and outfit it for camping. I've been working on the floor plan but it will be a few months before I can actually buy the van. Since I'm single, I'll be going it alone. Hopefully with a dog. Just lost my two dogs within seven months of each other, but I'll get another one or two soon, when my heart heals a little bit.

The van will be fairly non-tech. Plan to have one or two solar panels for lights and laptop, roof vents. Extreme cooler (with ice), one burner-butane stove.

Thinking about taking a Vespa-type scooter along. And wondering if I need to pull a tiny trailer with extras.

Anyway, I welcome your thoughts and suggestions. Looks like a bunch of great forums on here.

Re: New here - planning to be a van camper

Howdy back Piney Woods! Once you get yourself adjusted you'll figure it out where you want to post most. We are a wide range of campateers! Welcome, we hope your stay with us will be a long and happy camping journey wherever you fine yourself to be!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Welcome. I would post where ever you seem comfortable. We seem to have more tent campers than anything. You could learn some from all types of campers and adjust it to fit your needs.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Your van plan sounds intriguing; I for one would like to hear how the project progresses.

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to the forums Piney Woods. How bout starting a project thread and posting each week on what you have done or planning on doing? You'll get great advice nd ideas along the way and we'll get to see your project come together.

WT
          "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

The camping van is an intriguing idea. A lot of different directions you could take. The first thought I have is to think about weight before you buy the van. Depending on what you build into the van and the gear you pack the weight could add up in a hurry. May want to look at a 3/4 or 1 ton van.

Comment

Along the same line as timd, I would look at where you plan on going and what type of terrain it'll go through. If you hit areas like west Texas lakes, a heavy loaded vehicle can bog down in a hurry. But then, I don't always tell my wife where I take her tahoe...lol... and I haven't got it stuck... yet.
              "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

I use my mini-van for camping, but a cargo van would be better for long-term living or long trips. Go over to cheaprvliving.com for great info and inspiration on setup.

I got a cot, memory foam mattress, and other items to be comfortable. Fold down the rear seats and take the second row out, my van has more room than many tents.

Comment

I've done the minivan camping thing too - much like a tent but with harder walls..... ;-)
                  My father passed away recently, and in his last days, he gave me his old Ford E150 van. I had been planning to convert my 5X10 trailer to a TT, but now I figure as the Ford needs a slew of bodywork anyway (a rusty old '85 model), and I have the minivan as my daily driver, I might just convert the Ford into a conversion camper. I'll keep it simple - raised roof (maybe a pop-up), modular units inside for basic kitchen, sleeping, power, water, etc. I want to keep it useable for utility work if needs be, but quickly configurable into a basic camper. It's the long wheelbase model (not the 'extended body'), so will give me more room than my Grand Caravan. I will still keep my tent gear though - sometimes, I just want to go 'simple, lean & mean'! I also camp by motorcycle.

Check out Yahoo's "VanDwellers" forum - they have a lot of great ideas for different van camping (and FT living) ideas. Those guys and gals are very creative!
                  Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I've been to cheaprvliving and am a member of vandwellers as well. Lots of good information. I plan to be very low tech - xtreme cooler, porta potty, one burner butane stove so hopefully weight won't be much of a problem but hope to find a heavy duty van. I have stumbled across one with a "easy access package" where the sides open up with a remote. Great idea for venting and cooking in the van during bad weather.

Comment

sounds like an interesting undertaking. I've seen some converted vans and pick up trucks. I think you might get some good ideas on your lay out and use of space by researching some of the volkswagon campers. I once read a book about them and the way they used space was really quite clever.

Comment

Volkswagen campers are nice. My only dislike is all the "converting" you have to do if you want to go to bed or utilize the other components. I plan to put a closet and a "sofa/bed" behind the driver's seat, and the cooking/cleaning/water details on the other side. I'm going to have a slat bed platform that, when closed, is 20" deep and when pulled out is 39" deep.

Comment

Yes, you had some very good advice on weight, and how to go to a truck weigh station periodically. I also thought about getting one of those devices that weigh luggage for all the small stuff.

Comment

Working...
                          X