Hi all, new to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all, new to the forum

Just wanted to say hi. My oldest son just stepped over to Boy Scouts and I'm looking forward to doing lots of camping and hiking with him.

I went to his first BS meeting last night and volunteered to help out at his troops camporee in May and go along on the near monthly camping trips.

Its been awhile since I have been camping, but I used to camp a lot when I didnt have children. I just bought a 3 season sleeping bag, a pair of Vasque hiking boot, and hopefully my brother still has my rei backpack. The scouts supply the tents, but I'm sure that I'll be looking for a nice 3-4 person tent soon.

We have a 10 mile hike coming up on Eater weekend. Not to much vertical climbing, just gentle inclines. Nothing like throwing yourself all out into something. I used to hike the White Mountains quite a bit and frequently around my area(Connecticut). So I have some idea what a 10 mile hike really is. It has been awhile though. Guess I will be taking my kids hiking a lot this summer. Beats staring at the TV all day or night.

Here I come

Re: Hi all, new to the forum

Hello and welcome,EarleD.
    I'll be up around your "nabe" come June paying that they dinna roll back the costs as much for out of staters' fees:D.
    Which is still fine by me.
    For the record I do not allow any kiddos to have TV watching devices during camping time.
    Which ahem doesn't mean I won't be watching new "Breaking Bad"episodes late at night when there is nobody but me and a foraging skunk/raccoon around the campsite.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I was a boy scout/girl scout mom, too, but never camped with them. Good for you!

Boy Scout Camp Kootaga is up the road from me. Most memorable is when the scouts had to be evacuated by helicopter during a flood a few years ago. The scouts thought it was great fun.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Welcome Aboard! Glad to have you along. I also missed out on the GS/BS membership (too few and too far away in the pines), but we sometimes cleaned up after them on the river...It's not like we didn't know "who done it" when they hauled their canoes out from the landing downstream! Kind of like our civic duty in our minds, and we like clean campsites along the river.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.....

Comment

Howdy and welcome to the forum. Hope your trip this weekend goes great.
            "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

I remember Camp Mattatuck... good times. If his troop is going, I highly recommend spending the week there.

Comment

Working...
              X