No announcement yet.

Camp Gear: Useless & A Waste of Money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Gear: Useless & A Waste of Money?

What have you purchased that you don't use or haven't used nearly as much as you thought you would? And you found out that it really was a waste of your money and time? C'mon fess up! We're only human!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: Camp Gear: Useless & A Waste of Money?

1) The Coleman rugged rechargeable latern that I bought last fall. It is dim and junk. Wont even make it make one camping trip. Wish I could return it, but I bought it at a Coleman factory clearance store that was in a temporary location.
    2)The Intex extra high air matresses. I have bought more than 1 of these things and they all end up with holes in them. One got a hole the first night. I hate those things.
    3)Cots. I picked some up to use when camping. I got two from Walmart and one Slumberjack. The two Walmart cot's got returned, the sumberjack used on one trip.
    Probably more things that I will remember later.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Coleman fluorescent lantern; should have known better. The light level was too low and one of the bulbs blew after one year, and the unit did not lend itself to replacing the bulb. Live and learn...but this is a great thread, provided others let us know about their 'mistakes'.

Comment

Coughlan Camping toaster...this is a folding plate with fold-up wires that carry the bread at an angle over the stove burner. Great under IDEAL conditions, but horrific under real-life scenarios. Luckily I bought on clearance at a local Wal-Mart, so the loss wasn't significant. My daughters still rib me about it (as a tender memory), because of it's performance, so I guess that after all, it was worth a lot more than I paid for it.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
          3)Cots. I picked some up to use when camping. I got two from Walmart and one Slumberjack. The two Walmart cot's got returned, the sumberjack used on one trip.
          Probably more things that I will remember later.
          Whats the reason for not liking the cots?

Comment

A BIG box of Band-aid bandages - all one size.

Comment

Originally posted by fantomas View Post
              Whats the reason for not liking the cots?
              They didn't seem stable enough. I move around a lot at night. Go from sleeping on my back to my side, back to my back, to the other side. Plus I had to have a self inflating pad under me to keep warm. Just seemed like a hassle, so I ditched the cot and went with the mat on the ground. I still move around, just not worried about tipping over. Plus worried about damaging the tent floor. I tried the tennis balls as well. Just didn't like it.
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

My small Yeti cooler. (Well, I had won a gift certificate so this was essentially "free", but if I had bought it I would not be happy because they are so expensive.) The small one is essentially too small to be useful, even solo camping. Once I get an ice block or 2 in there, or bagged ice cubes, in sufficient quantity to keep food items cold, there is very little room for the food itself.
                Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

One of my very first camping purchases was a closeout aluminum roll up table from Camping World. It got great reviews. The top is aluminum slats and the table structure folds up so it all fits in a tube type bag - kind of like the Coleman camping chairs. It is a beautiful color and is lightweight. I thought I would have one multipurpose table for outside and it seemed a wonderful buy at half price.

One of the aluminum slats got a ding in it the first day. The slats are spaced just a tad too wide and allow stuff to fall through. It is an awkward height - too low for a person standing to use, too tall for a person to sit to use. It is a bear to close up since two of the legs fold one way and two fold another way and it is not an intuitive process (two legs fold down, and two legs fold in and it has to be done in the right order). It became entertainment value as I would get frustrated and just throw the whole thing in the rig and fold up once I got home.
                  Last edited by actad; 03-31-2013, 09:01 AM.
                  - Laura
                  Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I bought a propane lantern over 10 years ago...its still in the box. I take it with me and never end up needing it

Comment

Coughlin magnesium and flint fire starter. THe magnesium is a pain to "shave" and the flint needs to be bigger to produce better sparks.

Comment

Dang. I just bought one of those fire starter thingies.

Comment

for the mag fire starters
                          recently someone posted video comparing chinese mag starters to US made starters,
                          basically the chinese made starters were junk,
                          if your going to buy mag firestarters dont try to save a buck by buying chinese ones

Comment

I just bought this firestarter as a back up to matches and a lighter:

http://www.basspro.com/Light-My-Fire...product/97534/

Comment

Camp pie irons?!
                              Bought em last year and the grrlies would have nothing to do with 'em.
                              Gonna try one more time and see if I can make 'em more enticing with homemade pop tarts.
                              Otherwise CL here they go.
                              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                              X