No announcement yet.

Camp Gear: Useless & A Waste of Money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camp Gear: Useless & A Waste of Money?

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
    Camp pie irons?!
    Bought em last year and the grrlies would have nothing to do with 'em.
    Gonna try one more time and see if I can make 'em more enticing with homemade pop tarts.
    Otherwise CL here they go.
    That's funny, they're too popular with my daughters! They make the perfect s'mores sandwich: Toast marshmallows over hangers, place graham cracker and chocolate with marshmallow in pie iron, top with another square graham cracker and warm over campfire to melt the chocolate...Perfect s'mores sandwich! We like the Coleman brand's construction, cool wire handle, and thick non-stick lining. The cheaper knock-off versions didn't cut it.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Mom gave me a 3-man inflatable row boat and I thought it would be fun to take along on our camping trip... never again.

Comment

I bought a mag. fire starter at a gun show it was a no name brand...the price was right, and I got just what I paid for....junk.

Comment

We had one of those..........used over the coleman stove, it made the bread a little bit crispy on the surface but still soft and cold inside.......useless POS.

Comment

Yes, and I bought one made in China. (head slap)

Comment

I bought a Coughlin fire starter over the winter as well. Oh well.
              - Laura
              Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I found the toaster a bit more effective by covering the top 1/3 with foil.

Comment

The Coughlin Fire Starter was a winner for me, because I didn't want my daughters to think that the only way to light a fire was with the lighter or the Strike-Anywhere matches..."You can take the boy out of the wilderness, but you can't take the wilderness..."
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

A Coleman coffee maker. The one that sits over the stove burner and looks like a Mr. Coffee home setup. I used it a couple times when we had a pull behind travel trailer that had a fold out stove on the exterior. I didn't like keeping the burner on to keep the coffee hot. It somehow made its way into the 5th-Wheel and it sits there taking up space. Go figure....................

Sent via iPad2
                    2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

Costco size condiments. Ok, don't judge, but yes, my group of friends think it's a good idea to buy and bring costco size items to camp. Not me though. I don't find out until I'm there and find large things of mustard and ketchup. Of course when we divvy up the food at the end of our trip, someone ends up with an almost full tub of ketchup, mustard, etc...

Actually.. judge away.....
                      Last edited by teddybear8; 04-26-2013, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by teddybear8 View Post
                        Costco size condiments. Ok, don't judge, but yes, my group of friends think it's a good idea to buy and bring costco size items to camp. Not me though. I don't find out until I'm there and find large things of mustard and ketchup. Of course when we divvy up the food at the end of our trip, someone ends up with an almost full tub of ketchup, mustard, etc...

Actually.. judge away.....
                        Nothing to judge about.
                        Someone just took the Boy Scout motto too literally....I know people who do that at home as well:D.

I bought one of those grill pan bowls with lots of holes. Total waste of moola.
                        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

It is so funny to read what everyone is saying about the toaster thing. Years ago when I moved in to my first place of my own I didn’t have a toaster but had one of the camping ones. So instead of going out and getting myself a toaster I just put that thing on my gas cook top stove and used it to make my toast. Then when my mom came out to my place (different state than her) she said she would not use that thing and went out and bought me a toaster. LOL I did use the camp one at that place for about three months before mom came and bought me a real toaster.

Comment

1) Two different brands of "Self-deflating" sleep pads. Junk. Too thin before it loses it's air, and loses it's air before I even get bedded down. My several years old inflatable has been utterly reliable. Packs a lot smaller and lighter too - very important on motorcycle trips.
                            2) A Coleman LED lantern - the rechargeable model. Battery failed after just a few months. It's twin with the D-cell pack is still going strong - must buy another D-cell pack for the failed unit.
                            3) A 'big guy sized' campchair in camo, from The Tractor Supply Store. Very similar to the excellent Coleman MAX chair, but flimsier. Broke on the first outing. The two MAX chairs (in red and green) are still good after three years of use.
                            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I bought some flashlight/lantern from wally world....I bought for off them..they took 4 D batteries, after about a month worth of use in the backyard and many camping trips. Batteries were getting expensive, the battery compartment wouldn't fit. So we junked them and went back to mini mag light for the kids 3-4 D-cell Mag lights for the adults and the old fashioned propane lantern that never fails.

Comment

Working...
                              X