Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lots of stuff in a small car

Originally posted by Hikenhunter View Post
    What We have done is I bought a cheap pop up for 100 bucks two years ago. I gutted it and now store all opur car camping equipment in it at all times. The roof doesn't leak so our stuff stays dry and the camping gear is all in one place all the time. When ever we want to go all we need to do is pick up food and pack our clothes for the trip.Incidentally the coolers are kept in the pop up too so we do not have to cram them in any place and there is enough room in the pop up so that our duffels usually fit in there as well. I have not noticed a significant reduction in gas milage. I think this was the best 100 bucks I ever spent on camping stuff.
    That's what we were thinking of doing.... we have an old coleman pop-up and it's too much to repair, the lift arms are no good, and the roof doesnt cover it well.

Hikenhunter- How hard was it to gut and would it work without a roof? Any suggestions?

Comment

Great thread! We have been camping (2 adults, huge tent, all the comforts) in my Honda Accord before but NO WAY would that work with all the kids, we HAVE to take the truck (and its gas mileage).
      Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
      Nights under the stars:
      2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
      2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Another vote here for a hitch box. That and just treating minimizing what you bring as a fun challenge to get more primitive. If you're into saving money I definitely hope you are keeping an eye out on craigslist for camping gear and you might even find your hitch box there too!

Comment

You guys and all your gear. When I have to take the wife - yeah, there is not enough room for all that stuff. But otherwise - simplicity wins the day.

That's why I prefer to camp solo.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

The very best small car I have ever owned for packing stuff is the Honda Fit. It is a small car, but the back seats fold down to create a flat floor. You can fit whole bikes inside without taking any wheels off.

If you really have trouble packing into a small car, get two backpacks and pack as if you were going backpacking. You can strap the packs into the back seats like children. Of course, it means doing a lot better planning and outfitting yourself with compact lightweight gear, but there is nothing wrong with that.

Comment

I'm going to say just trade in the car for a truck. Problem solved and you are welcome.

“I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                The very best small car I have ever owned for packing stuff is the Honda Fit. It is a small car, but the back seats fold down to create a flat floor. You can fit whole bikes inside without taking any wheels off.

If you really have trouble packing into a small car, get two backpacks and pack as if you were going backpacking. You can strap the packs into the back seats like children. Of course, it means doing a lot better planning and outfitting yourself with compact lightweight gear, but there is nothing wrong with that.
                The best small car rental I've ever had camping is the Honda Element. Back seats remove leaving a nice bit of space and the cube shape makes for easy packing. 'Course the seat removal only works for 2 person trips. I've been able to fit 3 people in a Mazda 3 HATCHBACK for a 4-5 day trip.
                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                X