Camp Gear: Best purchases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camp Gear: Best purchases

I love so very much of my camping gear but am currently enamoured with my manual operated blender. Very useful tool that I don't even have to self operate. My camping grrlies fight amongst themselves for an opportunity to crank it:D. Makes nice smoothies, evening drinks and cold soups. Prolly would be useful for batters if I actually cooked breakfast in the morn...
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

NYCGrrl...please send link so I can see what you are talking about. I have a manual operated 'blender' that's from the 1950's, but I don't think it's what you are talking about. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by MScampers View Post
        For me, I would say my hatchet. We tent camp, so there's firewood to cut, tent stakes to drive, and often sticks to whittle down for cooking hot dogs and marshmallows. Nothing fancy, just a cheap hatchet with a metal handle that I bought at Walmart. It has served me very well, though.
        I'm with you! I've got a small hatchet that I splurged and bought from Home Depot for $35, I love it and it comes with an awesome leather sheath.

I also can't go camping out without my trusty full sized axe. After chopping wood with a hatchet, I realized I needed a big axe to get the job done. I haven't forgotten it yet, but if I did, I'd be sad!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          +1 on the Eureka Timberline. I bought mine in the 1980's and they are still as reliable and weatherproof as ever.

I bought probably ten tents since then, but only because of the irresistible pull of consumerism. When it really comes down to brass tacks when I think that the weather might be rough or I need to best balance weight/size/weatherproof, I still choose the Eureka Timberline 4
          My Scout troop only camped with Eureka Timberlines. They never let us down; and we camped in all weather from Klondikes in the winter time to downpours in Spring/Summer. If they were a little larger I would have bought them for my family of 4.

Comment

My current best purchases are the following:

SnowPeak portable fire pit/grill:

http://www.snowpeak.com/grills/fire-...ce-st-032.html
            No more need to rent a modified galvinized wash tub for 5.oo a day or even store one.

and this foldable chimney starter which is sheer genius:

Flatfire Folding
            Charcoal Lighting Chimney

Reg. $69.95
            SALE
            $54.99

Model No: FFCC

Doubt if I paid that much for my chimney starter but even if I did it's worth every penny since space for seasonal goods is tight and expensive on my end. Since I'm garage and basement less I have to pay for storage and it's currently about 40 bucks a month for a space not much bigger than a tiny walk in closet.
            2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I like compact, fold-flat products, and those two look well-built!
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Joyous56 View Post
                NYCGrrl...please send link so I can see what you are talking about. I have a manual operated 'blender' that's from the 1950's, but I don't think it's what you are talking about. Thanks.

This is the model I have and I'm POSITIVE the price has gone way up since I purchased it:

http://www.blenderexpert.com/the-vor...-and-features/

It has two speeds (you move the crank handle) and children fight to operate it :D.
                Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-04-2013, 01:49 PM.
                2017:

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                  I like compact, fold-flat products, and those two look well-built!
                  Trust me on this: they both are and pretty much the right sizes as well. The chimney starter holds a nice amt of charcoal. 50 briquets according to the manufacturer. Can't swear to that but I know I don't have to fill the starter twice in order to get a 22" Weber going for a high heat item. Unlike the rinky dinky Coleman starter I started camping with; that one probably held half the amt.

As for the SnowPeak.......every year I find more good in it. Last year I barely ever pumped up the white gas Coleman stove because the embers were still hot in the pit from the night before. Throw a few more charcoal bits in maybe some small branches and you've a fire for the morning's breakfast. The carrying bag is a tad junky and of course you have to wait until the body cools off until you cocoon it in the nylon bag but I observed those issues when I bought it ( I'm a sewer). Was having problems carrying the hot ashes to the ember dump site since you have to carry it just right to keep it from folding in on itself but solved that problem by dumping the ashes in a disposable aluminum turkey pan and walking that over.
                  Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-04-2013, 01:53 PM.
                  2017:

Comment

Originally posted by woodyw333 View Post
                    Hey all I saw we have a worst gear thread but didnt see a best gear thread so I thought I would start one. Use this to post the things that you feel are the most useful and what you couldnt do without. Outside of the obvious Tent, or Camper things of that nature.

For me the best purchase I have ever made that I actually use year nevada pools around is a Thermocell misqueto/bug repellent. IMO those things flat out work! They make 2 different models one to carry around on your side or backpack, and one that looks like a light fixture that you can hang anywhere around camp..
                    Where do you get one of those because when we go camping with my granddaughter she gets eaten up by misqueto and she swells up like a balloon.
                    Last edited by KingoftheThrone; 12-03-2014, 05:30 PM.

Comment

HogSnapper re: Sawyer Permethrin - THANK YOU !!! I didn't even know this existed, but I have 2 bottles of it on the way for this weekend's excursion w/ the family !!

Comment

Sorry to step on your thread Jop, but HS really covers the bases in his explanations! And he's a fantastic addition to the moderation panel!
                        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I guess my best purchase would be the 2 Coleman director type chairs I found at a thrift store for 5 bucks each. And my Hillary and Coleman canvas tents. 15 and 20 bucks each. For those who are looking for a bread box try a saltine cracker box. All but the first few slices fit in the box. I've been using one for a while as the wife has this thing about smashed bread. Cheap and effective.

Comment

My cooking tripod! I always used the grill that was attached to the camping rings covered in foil and you have to adjust the fire to fit where it moves. With the tripod I can adjust height or move as my fire adjusts while burning. I bought mine on clearance last year at Wal-Mart for around 10 bucks to see how it would work somewhat skeptical. It folds up and stores in a box about the size of a medium pizza. I'd pay $50 for another if this one breaks as convenient as it is. Well worth it if you cook on an open fire.

Comment

We bought the Snow Peak IGT (Iron Grill Table) and have fallen in love with it so much that we regularly use it at home too. We have the IGT 4 with the single "Baja" burner and the single BBQ box and they are amazing. I come from the "buy the right one and cry once" school of thought and while I don't recommend this arrangement for casual campers but for us it works great.

NYCgrrl,
                              I noticed that you mentioned that you have the nylon carry bag for your fireplace and that we plan on buying our folding fireplace when we go to Portland and noticed on their website that they offer a canvas cover for them that might help you. I have one of the canvas cases for the IGT frame and accessories and will get one for our fireplace as well.

Best wishes,
                              The Wanderin' Whitlows
                              Best wishes,
                              The Wanderin' Whitlows

Comment

That's very nicely crafted gear, but between the gas canister fuel and the stratospheric prices...I'm assuming you have some kind of windscreen arrangement for the stove. I'm saving that link as I'm sure they have something that would look good in our gear collection!
                                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                                X